Dont want to cause offence

A forum for discussion of Buddhist ethics.
Crystalshine

Dont want to cause offence

Post by Crystalshine »

Hello a friend has written about me for an article in a paper that is also online.
It was about stress & migraines, she has said (she is a writer) I had “work related” migraines during the pandemic , they weren’t work related I get them since being a child.
I’m now worried in case a potential employer sees that online.
I feel like asking my friend to alter the writing but don’t want to upset her
Any advice appreciated thank you
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Dont want to cause offence

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Crystalshine wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:52 pm Hello a friend has written about me for an article in a paper that is also online.
It was about stress & migraines, she has said (she is a writer) I had “work related” migraines during the pandemic , they weren’t work related I get them since being a child.
Fortunately for you, two reputations are at stake: yours, and the reporter’s who won’t want to be known for being sloppy and inaccurate. Mention to her that she needs to make a correction. The online article can be updated. The print article is what it is. But print articles are not likely to pop up on an employers desk later on.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook develops outward insight.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:32 pm
Crystalshine wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:52 pm Hello a friend has written about me for an article in a paper that is also online.
Fortunately for you, two reputations are at stake: yours, and the reporter’s who won’t want to be known for being sloppy and inaccurate. Mention to her that she needs to make a correction. The online article can be updated. The print article is what it is. But print articles are not likely to pop up on an employers desk later on.
:good:

You might even consider asking that your last name be withheld. In the US, an employer refusing to hire because of a history of migraines might be liable for disability discrimination, but you might never know that is the reason you never got a call back.
CAVEAT: TL;DR Don't take me seriously. Regardless of the authority I presume in my manner of writing, the thoughts and opinions I express here are tentative at best, subject to revision, and carry no recognized authority in fact. My participation in these forums is mostly indulgence in bad habits. I can only hope that they are occasionally productive.

Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Upaya Chapter
Miorita

Post by Miorita »

Ask her to conceal name, date of birth, anything personal that can identify you! It’s her responsibility to keep your data confidential and refer strictly to the case.
If she doesn’t, you can sue and you can deny the article is about you to a potential employer. After all, an employer is just an employer. You disclose as much as you want of yourself and keep the rest private. It’s not the employer’s business to stick their nose into your medical record.
Hope it helps!
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

You probably already dealt with this but I would suggest just mentioning it politely and go on the assumption that it was a simple mistake and that she'll be happy, if slightly embarrassed, that you let her know.
If she's upset in terms of really sad or embarrassed you can tell her that it's not a big deal you just wanted to make sure that that part was correct.
Hazel
Global Moderator

Post by Hazel »

Tell her there's a mistake that you're worried will effect you poorly and would like her to change it. This happens a fair amount and is not a big deal so long as the requester is polite.
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Crystalshine

Post by Crystalshine »

Hello I did ask her in as nice a way as possible and it now removed , thank you for the helpful advice

Return to “Ethical Conduct”