Hello from a Novice!

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Novices

Hello from a Novice!

Post by Novices »

Hey, all.

As the name suggests, I’m new to practicing Buddhism. I’ve followed the religion for several years, but I really only started actively reading texts and meditating recently.

I’ll be using this site’s resources to figure out what to read next. I don’t want to overload myself with anything too advanced. So far, I’ve been meditating on object dependency, as prescribed by HHDL in “how to see yourself as you truly are.” I read Karen Armstrong’s “Buddha” for a synopsis of his life and teachings, and then I read the Diamond Sutra, the Dharma wheel teaching, and a pocket Dhamapada. I’ve read some Zen stuff, too, and I really like TNH and Pema Chodron.

If there’s anything I should really read now to learn more, I’d love to hear it.

In my craziest dreams, I’d love to pursue monastic life one day. But that’s perhaps in a distant future - and perhaps in no future. For now, I’m very happy to practice and learn as much as I can.

My name is Michael, and it’s great to find this forum. I’ve noticed that a few very practices Buddhists frequent these pages, which is such a great thing. I’m very excited to have (some version of) a Sangha. I’m a teacher in the American south, and I don’t come across many people who are Buddhists. Maybe I’m not looking hard enough :)
Kim O'Hara
Global Moderator

Re: Hello from a Novice!

Post by Kim O'Hara »

:hi:
Welcome to DW, and best wishes for your journey.
You will find that a lot of us are in situations rather like your own, isolated (for whatever reason) from regular contact with real-life Buddhists. My nearest full-time centre, for instance, is five hours' drive away. I do have access to a couple of small, lay-led, local groups and occasional visiting teachers (as you might, if you look around) but that's about all.
DW is a great resource for us, but remember we're just random people on the internet with a common interest and don't assume that all of us are very knowledgeable.

:namaste:
Kim
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

:anjali:
CAVEAT: TL;DR Don't take me seriously. Regardless of the authority I presume in my manner of writing, the thoughts and opinions I express here are tentative at best, subject to revision, and carry no recognized authority in fact. My participation in these forums is mostly indulgence in bad habits. I can only hope that they are occasionally productive.

Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Upaya Chapter
Virgo
Former staff member

Post by Virgo »

Welcome. :anjali:

Virgo
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

Howdy! American south, by way of NE, and also a former teacher.

Shaun :namaste:

Return to “Introductions”