Bodhisattva's austerities in the Agamas; going naked, letting his grow etc.

Post sayings or stories from Buddhist traditions which you find interesting, inspiring or useful. (Your own stories are welcome on DW, but in the Creative Writing or Personal Experience forums rather than here.)
Aemilius

Bodhisattva's austerities in the Agamas; going naked, letting his grow etc.

Post by Aemilius »

From Numerical Discources; Ekottara Agama 31.8, tr. Charles Patton :

"Sometimes I went naked, and sometimes I wore rags and refuse. Sometimes I wore sedge grass, and sometimes I wore wool clothes. Sometimes I covered myself with human hair, and sometimes I grew my hair. Sometimes I took other people’s hair and added it to my own."

"Sometimes I stayed silent and wouldn’t speak. Sometimes I had one meal, or other times I had two meals … seven meals. Some meals were greens and fruit, some meals were rice and sesame, some were grass and tubers, some were tree fruit, some were flowers and incense, and other meals were various fruits and berries."

“During those six years of diligent hardship pursuing awakening, I hadn’t won anything. Sometimes I laid on thorns, and sometimes it was on wood boards with iron nails. Sometimes I roosted like a bird far from the ground or hung upside down with my head towards the ground. Sometimes I squatted on my heels with my legs crossed. Sometimes I grew my hair longer than ever before."

“Suppose I went to the charnel ground to get clothes from a dead body to cover my own body. If a villager decided to come then to collect kindling wood, they might touch my ears or nose; perhaps spit, urinate, or throw dust and dirt on my body. Still, I never paid any attention to those people. This was the equanimity that I had."

https://canon.dharmapearls.net/01_agama ... 31_08.html
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Astus
Former staff member

Re: Bodhisattva's austerities in the Agamas; going naked, letting his grow etc.

Post by Astus »

Looks like the standard account of the hardships Gautama went through that proved to be completely futile and meaningless: Mahāsaccakasutta.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Astus wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:13 pm Looks like the standard account of the hardships Gautama went through that proved to be completely futile and meaningless: Mahāsaccakasutta.
Several people like yogi Chen have noted that Shakyamuni did not forsake the method of fasting completely during his later career. He used it moderately. Notable yogis in China and Tibet have in effect done prolonged fasts. If you eat a vegetarian meal once aday, it is usually called fasting in the modern dietary teachings that you can read in various colorful magazines. There are several different varieties in this.
svaha
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Aemilius wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:04 am If you eat a vegetarian meal once aday, it is usually called fasting in the modern dietary teachings that you can read in various colorful magazines. There are several different varieties in this.
Eating only once or twice a day until noon is the Pratimoksha regulation, and it's also observed on certain days by devout lay people.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

I was referring to modern (non-religious) types of fasting, which are of many kinds, for example:

20/4 Intermittent Fasting: All You Need to Know https://www.wefast.care/articles/interm ... sting-20-4

What Are The Benefits Of Fasting For 16 Hours https://www.fastingtalk.net/what-are-th ... -16-hours/

5:2 Fasting diet

4:3 Fasting diet (aka alternate day fasting)

The Warrior Diet

One Meal a Day (OMAD)

Spontaneous meal skipping

Bulletproof Intermittent Fasting https://www.bulletproof.com/diet/interm ... iet-types/
svaha
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Astus wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:13 pm Looks like the standard account of the hardships Gautama went through that proved to be completely futile and meaningless: Mahāsaccakasutta.
It is not like "a standard account", there are many interesting things that are totally lacking in the threravada sources.
Also, fasting etc are not completely without results. As the Bhagavan Shakyamuni himself says, he developed or manifested equanimity/nonhatred towards unpleasant circumstances through these ascetic practices.
svaha
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Aemilius wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:47 amAlso, fasting etc are not completely without results. As the Bhagavan Shakyamuni himself says, he developed or manifested equanimity/nonhatred towards unpleasant circumstances through these ascetic practices.

Indeed; there are many benefits of achieving metabolic flexibility through intermittent fasting and occasional prolonged fasting routines. Such as increased autophagy and combatting insulin-resistance. And as with most things, it’s not very easy at first; but once you get use to it and achieve metabolic flexibility, it’s not so difficult all the time.

And as much as we can talk about not rejecting sense-pleasures in the higher teachings such as Dzogchen etc., within the latter for example fasting is part of it, albeit more towards the culmination of the path....

Then of course in lower or outer Tantra there is Nyungné.
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Aemilius wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:47 amAlso, fasting etc are not completely without results.
It is stated explicitly both in your above quote of EA 31.8:

'During those six years of diligent hardship pursuing awakening, I hadn’t won anything.'

and in MN 36:

'But I have not achieved any superhuman distinction in knowledge and vision worthy of the noble ones by this severe, grueling work.'
As the Bhagavan Shakyamuni himself says, he developed or manifested equanimity/nonhatred towards unpleasant circumstances through these ascetic practices.
It's merely stated that his mind was not moved by the pleasant and painful feelings, not that it was by developed because of asceticism.

As the Buddha told Mara:
'I realized that it’s pointless; all that mortification in search of immortality is as futile as oars and rudder on dry land. Ethics, immersion, and wisdom: by developing this path to awakening I attained ultimate purity.'
(SN 4.1)

And from EA 19.2 (another translation here):

'There are two modes of behaviour which a person in quest of the highest truth should avoid. Which are the two? Desiring, craving for objects of sensual pleasure which by its nature is low, vulgar and unprofitable. On the other hand, all sorts of mortification, many acts of harming and endless tormenting thoughts. These are the two modes of behaviour which a person in quest of the highest truth should avoid. Having given up these two modes of behaviour, on my own I gained the highest truth and became fully enlightened.'

More on the subject of self-mortification see e.g. DN 25

As for what the Buddha regularly taught regarding eating, it was moderation (e.g. AN 3.16):

'And how does a mendicant eat in moderation? It’s when a mendicant reflects properly on the food that they eat: ‘Not for fun, indulgence, adornment, or decoration, but only to sustain this body, to avoid harm, and to support spiritual practice. In this way, I shall put an end to old discomfort and not give rise to new discomfort, and I will live blamelessly and at ease.’ That’s how a mendicant eats in moderation.'
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Well remember according to Mahayana, the Buddha Sakyamuni’s life was all a display, because he’d already attained Buddhahood eons ago.

The point the Buddha was making there, is that extreme mortification is useless; not that fasting (that has clear benefits) is useless.

Like I’d said, once you get used to fasting and attain metabolic flexibility, it’s not grueling at all; and you’ll ask even yourself why you haven’t been doing it all along.

By the way, don’t conflate fasting with constantly being on an calorie-deficit. There may be some overlap there at times; but an anorexic for example may even eat a little every couple hours throughout the entire day, but never really get the full benefits of fasting. I on the other hand for example can eat 5,000 calories in a two hour window if I want; or go days without eating even while working etc., but I never just snack all day.
Last edited by Sādhaka on Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:33 am, edited 4 times in total.
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Sādhaka wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:34 amIndeed; there are many benefits of achieving metabolic flexibility through intermittent fasting and occasional prolonged fasting routines.
Similar practices are told about some contemporaries of the Buddha that are 'not the legitimate development of physical endurance in the noble one’s training' (MN 36):

'“But Aggivessana, what have you heard about the development of physical endurance?”

“Take, for example, Nanda Vaccha, Kisa Saṅkicca, and Makkhali Gosāla. They go naked, ignoring conventions. They lick their hands, and don’t come or wait when called. They don’t consent to food brought to them, or food prepared on purpose for them, or an invitation for a meal. They don’t receive anything from a pot or bowl; or from someone who keeps sheep, or who has a weapon or a shovel in their home; or where a couple is eating; or where there is a woman who is pregnant, breastfeeding, or who has a man in her home; or where there’s a dog waiting or flies buzzing. They accept no fish or meat or liquor or wine, and drink no beer. They go to just one house for alms, taking just one mouthful, or two houses and two mouthfuls, up to seven houses and seven mouthfuls. They feed on one saucer a day, two saucers a day, up to seven saucers a day. They eat once a day, once every second day, up to once a week, and so on, even up to once a fortnight. They live committed to the practice of eating food at set intervals.”

“But Aggivessana, do they get by on so little?”

“No, Master Gotama. Sometimes they eat a variety of luxury foods and drink a variety of luxury beverages. They gather their body’s strength, build it up, and get fat.”

“What they earlier gave up, they later got back. That is how there is the increase and decrease of this body. But Aggivessana, what have you heard about development of the mind?” When Saccaka was questioned by the Buddha about development of the mind, he was stumped.

So the Buddha said to Saccaka, “The development of physical endurance that you have described is not the legitimate development of physical endurance in the noble one’s training. And since you don’t even understand the development of physical endurance, how can you possibly understand the development of the mind?”'
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Well there is a lot I could say, including expanding on my previous post; however for the moment we can at least say that Buddhist & Bönpo monks (in all traditions as far as I’m aware) are usually doing intermittent-fasting for about 17-20 hours a day on average, and not usually eating anything after solar noon.

I’m not sure how their meals go exactly, but maybe two meals a day: Breakfast around 5:00, 6:00, or 7:00 in the morning, and lunch around noon, and maybe some zero-calorie herbal teas in the evening….
Last edited by Sādhaka on Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Sādhaka wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:11 pm Well there is a lot I could say, including expanding on my previous post; however for the moment we can at least say that Buddhist & Bönpo monks (in all traditions as far as I’m aware) are usually doing intermittent-fasting for about 17-20 hours a day on average, and not usually eating anything after solar noon.
Umm, as far as Tibetan Buddhist monks go, that is pretty much a fantasy. I have no idea about Bonpos.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Astus wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:20 pm
Sādhaka wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:34 amIndeed; there are many benefits of achieving metabolic flexibility through intermittent fasting and occasional prolonged fasting routines.
Similar practices are told about some contemporaries of the Buddha that are 'not the legitimate development of physical endurance in the noble one’s training' (MN 36):

'“But Aggivessana, what have you heard about the development of physical endurance?”

“Take, for example, Nanda Vaccha, Kisa Saṅkicca, and Makkhali Gosāla. They go naked, ignoring conventions. They lick their hands, and don’t come or wait when called. They don’t consent to food brought to them, or food prepared on purpose for them, or an invitation for a meal. They don’t receive anything from a pot or bowl; or from someone who keeps sheep, or who has a weapon or a shovel in their home; or where a couple is eating; or where there is a woman who is pregnant, breastfeeding, or who has a man in her home; or where there’s a dog waiting or flies buzzing. They accept no fish or meat or liquor or wine, and drink no beer. They go to just one house for alms, taking just one mouthful, or two houses and two mouthfuls, up to seven houses and seven mouthfuls. They feed on one saucer a day, two saucers a day, up to seven saucers a day. They eat once a day, once every second day, up to once a week, and so on, even up to once a fortnight. They live committed to the practice of eating food at set intervals.”

“But Aggivessana, do they get by on so little?”

“No, Master Gotama. Sometimes they eat a variety of luxury foods and drink a variety of luxury beverages. They gather their body’s strength, build it up, and get fat.”

“What they earlier gave up, they later got back. That is how there is the increase and decrease of this body. But Aggivessana, what have you heard about development of the mind?” When Saccaka was questioned by the Buddha about development of the mind, he was stumped.

So the Buddha said to Saccaka, “The development of physical endurance that you have described is not the legitimate development of physical endurance in the noble one’s training. And since you don’t even understand the development of physical endurance, how can you possibly understand the development of the mind?”'
Man, Astus I am loving your quotes in this thread. Real food for thought.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Sādhaka wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:11 pmfor the moment we can at least say that Buddhist & Bönpo monks (in all traditions as far as I’m aware) are usually doing intermittent-fasting for about 17-20 hours a day on average, and not usually eating anything after solar noon.
It is not called fasting but it is one of the precepts for monastics.

“Mendicants, I eat my food in one sitting per day. Doing so, I find that I’m healthy and well, nimble, strong, and living comfortably. You too should eat your food in one sitting per day. Doing so, you’ll find that you’re healthy and well, nimble, strong, and living comfortably.”
(MN 65)

It's a precept also observed by lay people during uposatha/sabbath:

‘As long as they live, the perfected ones eat in one part of the day, abstaining from eating at night and from food at the wrong time. I, too, for this day and night will eat in one part of the day, abstaining from eating at night and food at the wrong time. I will observe the sabbath by doing as the perfected ones do in this respect.’
(AN 3.70, AN 8.41)
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Astus wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:45 pm
Sādhaka wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:11 pmfor the moment we can at least say that Buddhist & Bönpo monks (in all traditions as far as I’m aware) are usually doing intermittent-fasting for about 17-20 hours a day on average, and not usually eating anything after solar noon.
It is not called fasting but it is one of the precepts for monastics.

“Mendicants, I eat my food in one sitting per day. Doing so, I find that I’m healthy and well, nimble, strong, and living comfortably. You too should eat your food in one sitting per day. Doing so, you’ll find that you’re healthy and well, nimble, strong, and living comfortably.”
(MN 65)

It's a precept also observed by lay people during uposatha/sabbath:

‘As long as they live, the perfected ones eat in one part of the day, abstaining from eating at night and from food at the wrong time. I, too, for this day and night will eat in one part of the day, abstaining from eating at night and food at the wrong time. I will observe the sabbath by doing as the perfected ones do in this respect.’
(AN 3.70, AN 8.41)
Much prefer the witches sabbath, getting naked in the moonlight, dancing around fires, broomsticks...
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

"Sometimes I took other people’s hair and added it to my own."

!!?? I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this, is it a weird translation thing?
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Hazel wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:16 am "Sometimes I took other people’s hair and added it to my own."

!!?? I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this, is it a weird translation thing?
A wig I think
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:23 pmMuch prefer the witches sabbath, getting naked in the moonlight, dancing around fires, broomsticks...
Uposatha and ganacakra are not exclusive, are they? (reminds me of this song)
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Astus wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:58 am
Aemilius wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:47 amAlso, fasting etc are not completely without results.
It is stated explicitly both in your above quote of EA 31.8:

'During those six years of diligent hardship pursuing awakening, I hadn’t won anything.'

and in MN 36:

'But I have not achieved any superhuman distinction in knowledge and vision worthy of the noble ones by this severe, grueling work.'
As the Bhagavan Shakyamuni himself says, he developed or manifested equanimity/nonhatred towards unpleasant circumstances through these ascetic practices.
It's merely stated that his mind was not moved by the pleasant and painful feelings, not that it was by developed because of asceticism.
All things take place in relation to other things. This is true of the ascetic practice of Siddhartha Gautama and of enlightenment or Bodhi in general. It happens in a society, in a world of living beings. Prince Gautama had to learn the way of an ascetic. Gradually he became well-known as a serious ascetic. This is told by himself in the sutras/suttas, that he had become a famous ascetic.

This principle is true of your self and of all your qualities as well, the qualities that you have. People have seen you how you behave, have heard about your behaviour, your habits, etc.. In this way you have manifested your self and your qualities in the world. Now the society knows that "Astus is such and such person".

Because the world knew and had heard about the ascetic Gautama, they expected that he might attain something one day. If he had just left the palace and walked to to the Bodhi-tree in his silken garments, wearing his golden ornaments, fresh like a flower from a warm bath, do you think he would have attained anything?
svaha
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Astus wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:55 am
Malcolm wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:23 pmMuch prefer the witches sabbath, getting naked in the moonlight, dancing around fires, broomsticks...
Uposatha and ganacakra are not exclusive, are they? (reminds me of this song)
:twothumbsup:

Return to “Dharma Stories”