Citations regarding the Alaya

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
ThreeVows

Citations regarding the Alaya

Post by ThreeVows »

I'm interested in primary, or as close to primary, citations regarding whether there is a singular alaya that contains the seeds for all beings or whether there are individual alayas for each sentient being. To be clear, my intention here is not to discuss the truth or falsehood of one or the other but rather specifically I am simply interested in clear citations on the topic. Also, for clarity, one might distinguish between the alaya and the alaya-vijnana, as even if there was a singular alaya there could be individual alaya-vijnanas, similar to how if there is a singular sun in the sky, individual beings nonetheless individually look up and see it.

Thanks.
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Malcolm

Re: Citations regarding the Alaya

Post by Malcolm »

Seeker12 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:53 pm I'm interested in primary, or as close to primary, citations regarding whether there is a singular alaya that contains the seeds for all beings
There are no citations for this at all.

If you want to understand the ālayavijñāna in a proper way, you should read the Mahāyānasamgraha of Asanga, where he explains how common appearances among sentient beings arise from each one's ālaya; as well as Vasubandhu's proof of distinct mindstreams in absence of outer objects.
ThreeVows

Re: Citations regarding the Alaya

Post by ThreeVows »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:06 pm Mahāyānasamgraha of Asanga, where he explains how common appearances among sentient beings arise from each one's ālaya; as well as Vasubandhu's proof of distinct mindstreams in absence of outer objects.
Thanks.
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”