Garchen Rinpoche - Hevajra Empowerment and 4 Dharmas of Gampopa

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Garchen Rinpoche - Hevajra Empowerment and 4 Dharmas of Gampopa

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

On January, 23-24 (Sat.-Sun.) H.E.Garchen Rinpoche will have 2 live-streams:
(1) Hevajra Empowerment (January 23th, Sat., 10:30am–12.30pm MST, GMT-7 or 18:30 – 20:30 CET);
(2) Teachings on Four Dharmas of Gampopa (January, 24th, Sun., 9am – 12pm MST, GMT-7 or 17:00 – 20:00 CET, break 18:30-19:00 CET).
Both events hosted by Drikung Garchen Institute in Munich, Germany.

Live-stream link (English): https://cutt.ly/gbi_youtube

Other languages. Links (Zoom details) for German, Chinese, Vietnamese, Russian, Spanish, Polish translations, information on donations etc are published here: https://cutt.ly/garchen_de_event_info

About Hevajra. Hevajra belongs to the eight great Herukas. According to Patrul Rinpoche, heruka means "one in whom absolute space (he) and primordial wisdom (ka) are united (ru). Hevajra is seen as the essence of Vajradhara, the highest non-duality. In union with his Prajna Nairatmya, Hevajra symbolizes the unity of compassion and wisdom. The non-dual Hevajra tantra is said to be the ultimate perfection of all classes of tantras. It is the profound, unsurpassed, and quintessential yoga brought from India to Tibet. Naropa, Maitripa, Candrakirti, Marpa Lotsawa were among holders of its lineage.

During Hevajra empowerment the four empowerments will be offered. This enables to enter and behold the mandala of ultimate bodhicitta, purifies the five afflictive emotions, transforms the five aggregates, awakens the essence of the five wisdoms, and places the seeds and imprints of the five Buddhas into the mind streams of Garchen Rinpoche’s students. (Akshobya at the forehead, Ratnasambhava behind the right ear, Amitabha at the nape of the neck, Amoghasiddhi behind the left ear, and Vairocana at the crown.)

How to receive the Hevajra empowerment?
Garchen Rinpoche said that the empowerment for visualizing the deity begins (and one is permitted to embark the path of tantra/secret mantra) after one has practiced the three levels of the path. In the pratimoksha path of individual liberation we refrain from harming others and take refuge vows. In the bodhisattva path we care for all sentient beings and engage in bodhisattva conduct. Otherwise “if we are practicing the deity thinking “I want this and I want that”, then we are just piling up more self than we already have” (quotes since 42:40 of Medicine Buddha empowerment, July, 25, 2020 https://cutt.ly/Medicine_Buddha_emp).

Sakya Pandita, great master, often cited by Garchen Rinpoche, has said very clearly, “Without taking vows, there is no empowerment”. And to take the vows, we need to know them and consciously accept them. (Quotes from the first page of the publication: https://cutt.ly/Bodhichitta_actions ).
Useful links on vows: (1) Garchen Rinpoche summarizing Bodhisattva and Refuge vows https://cutt.ly/Garchen_vows, (2) 18 root Bodhisattva Vows: https://cutt.ly/18_vows , (3) 46 secondary Bodhisattva Vows https://cutt.ly/46_vows , (4) 14 root tantric vows https://cutt.ly/14tantric-vows.
Gampopa, who was a main disciple of Milarepa, summarized the Buddhist teachings in the so-called Four Dharmas of Gampopa, which are: 1. The mind turns to the Dharma 2. The Dharma becomes the path of awakening 3. The path removes confusion 4. Confusion turns into wisdom.

Ven. Khenchen Konchog Gyaltsen Rinpoche’s translation of Gampopa’s formulation (p.ХI of the book “Opening the Treasure of the Profound…”):
Grant your blessings so that my mind follow Dharma.
Grant your blessings so that Dharma may become the path to enlightenment.
Grant your blessings so that errors may be dispelled from the path.
Grant your blessings so that confusion may dawn into wisdom.

More details about Gampopa’s life and meeting with Milarepa: https://cutt.ly/Gampopa
Attachments
139866580_2931455547129039_5533259994039796053_o.jpg
139866580_2931455547129039_5533259994039796053_o.jpg (228.81 KiB) Viewed 3106 times
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
fckw

Re: Garchen Rinpoche - Hevajra Empowerment and 4 Dharmas of Gampopa

Post by fckw »

What exactly is the connection between Gampopa's teachings given here and this lineage of Hevajra? This remained unclear to me so far. Is this particular lineage coming from Gampopa, or was it of particular importance to him?
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

fckw wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:24 pm What exactly is the connection between Gampopa's teachings given here and this lineage of Hevajra? This remained unclear to me so far. Is this particular lineage coming from Gampopa, or was it of particular importance to him?
Well, Gampopa most probably has received Hevajra teachings... but there is not special collection, just an empowerment and a teaching together.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
YesheDronmar

Post by YesheDronmar »

Thank you for sharing this information with use here.

Do you have a lead for the sadhana that might be available to us as a result of the empowerment?
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

On a related note, Tsadra Foundation is working on an English translation of the entire Hevajra Tantra. However I don’t know when it will be ready.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
YesheDronmar

Post by YesheDronmar »

Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:39 am On a related note, Tsadra Foundation is working on an English translation of the entire Hevajra Tantra. However I don’t know when it will be ready.
This is wonderful news. It will be most supportive to have another English translation.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

YesheDronmar wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:46 am
Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:39 am On a related note, Tsadra Foundation is working on an English translation of the entire Hevajra Tantra. However I don’t know when it will be ready.
This is wonderful news. It will be most supportive to have another English translation.
Another? What is the first translation?
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:18 am
YesheDronmar wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:46 am
Another? What is the first translation?
David Snellgrove in 1959, and then George W. Farrow and I. Menon, in 1992. But both of these are somewhat lacking, so if there's an upcoming quality translation from Tsadra Foundation, that's very good news.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I don’t think so. And it is not very long. Who told you this? I’ve recently finished the first volume of Lamdre material and submitted it to Shambhala. But I am not aware of a Hevajra project.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Malcolm wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:57 am
I don’t think so. And it is not very long. Who told you this? I’ve recently finished the first volume of Lamdre material and submitted it to Shambhala. But I am not aware of a Hevajra project.
When HHK came to the women's retreat he gave them a list of things to study. One was the Hevajra Tantra, which supposedly Elizabeth Callahan was working on. However I just checked the Tsadra Foundation blurb on Callahan and there's no mention of it being in the works.

So maybe it isn't true.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:17 am
When HHK came to the women's retreat he gave them a list of things to study. One was the Hevajra Tantra, which supposedly Elizabeth Callahan was working on. However I just checked the Tsadra Foundation blurb on Callahan and there's no mention of it being in the works.

So maybe it isn't true.
I’ll ask her. I see her a couple of times a month via zoom. She’s a very nice person.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Malcolm wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:22 am

So maybe it isn't true.
I’ll ask her. I see her a couple of times a month via zoom. She’s a very nice person.
Yeah, I found it. It was from the notes that came out of the last retreat, so these notes are from a couple of years ago. From those notes, the 3 books on tantra recommended as background info were:

1. Hevajra 2 books (tak nyi): tablam (generation stage). Tsadra Foundation has sponsored Hevajra translation by Elizabeth Callahan.
2. Profound inner meaning: (completion stage) for Naro Chödrak.
3. Gyu Lama (s/a Uttaratantrashastra): (Mahamudra) use JKLT’s commentary for tantric point of view.

I believe the list originally came from HHK.
So Malcolm, once you talk to E.C. and get an update let me know if it’s happening or not. If not then I’ll get one of the other translations.

Also, any knowledge about a translation for book #2?

Thanks.
fckw

Post by fckw »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:42 pm
fckw wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:24 pm What exactly is the connection between Gampopa's teachings given here and this lineage of Hevajra? This remained unclear to me so far. Is this particular lineage coming from Gampopa, or was it of particular importance to him?
Well, Gampopa most probably has received Hevajra teachings... but there is not special collection, just an empowerment and a teaching together.
Ok, thanks for clarifying this point. I had assumed there is no specific connection between both, but was not sure.
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

"Hevajra belongs to the eight great Herukas"

I only know the 8 Kagye Nyingma Herukas, where Demchok is sometimes described as the same as Yangdag.....
What are the 8 to which Hevajra belongs?
Lost In Transmission
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

lelopa wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:18 am "Hevajra belongs to the eight great Herukas"

I only know the 8 Kagye Nyingma Herukas, where Demchok is sometimes described as the same as Yangdag.....
Hevajra = Shri Heruka (yang dag), according to HHST.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:42 am 2. Profound inner meaning: (completion stage) for Naro Chödrak.
She is working on one of the Kagyu volumes of Damngak dzod right now, specifically naro chodruk material.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Malcolm wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:06 pm
Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:42 am 2. Profound inner meaning: (completion stage) for Naro Chödrak.
She is working on one of the Kagyu volumes of Damngak dzod right now, specifically naro chodruk material.
It’s beginning to sound like the notes I was given were confused.

But let me know when you’re sure.
heart

Post by heart »

Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:42 am
Malcolm wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:22 am

So maybe it isn't true.
Yeah, I found it. It was from the notes that came out of the last retreat, so these notes are from a couple of years ago. From those notes, the 3 books on tantra recommended as background info were:

1. Hevajra 2 books (tak nyi): tablam (generation stage). Tsadra Foundation has sponsored Hevajra translation by Elizabeth Callahan.
2. Profound inner meaning: (completion stage) for Naro Chödrak.
3. Gyu Lama (s/a Uttaratantrashastra): (Mahamudra) use JKLT’s commentary for tantric point of view.

I believe the list originally came from HHK.
So Malcolm, once you talk to E.C. and get an update let me know if it’s happening or not. If not then I’ll get one of the other translations.

Also, any knowledge about a translation for book #2?

Thanks.
https://www.shambhala.com/the-profound- ... iples.html

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:23 pm
Malcolm wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:06 pm
It’s beginning to sound like the notes I was given were confused.

But let me know when you’re sure.
It sounds like you were given a list of desiderata. The Hevajra Tantra cannot be understood easily without a commentary. I have translated the first section myself. Even to read it in English, it needs commentary. In the Sakya tradition, which specializes in Hevajra, there are eight Indian commentaries, which are distilled down in one. In the Kagyu tradition, there are also many commentaries, but I am not sure which Indian commentaries they regard as authoritative. JKLT wrote a commentary on Hevajra that is supposed to be quite good, but I have not read it.
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:03 pm
lelopa wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:18 am "Hevajra belongs to the eight great Herukas"

Hevajra = Shri Heruka (yang dag), according to HHST.
Ah...ok!
Thank you!
Lost In Transmission

Return to “Kagyu”