What music do you listen to

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: What music do you listen to

Post by kirtu »

That's not a searchable list. It's a set of ten pages.
I'm not going to get into an argument about the Buddhist bona fides of specific people and their music. I think I've made my point. I don't take this topic very seriously. Pop music is not part of my practice. If it is for you, that's wonderful. I rejoice in whatever conducts beings to nirvana.
Okay.
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Manwon

Post by Manwon »

“You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.”
— Buddha

The other day I was listening to a song by Whitney Houston ( The Children are our future ) and I realized that the above quote and this song where made for each other. It is very sad that Whitney did not understand how important understanding and truly loving yourself truly is. For someone who
wishes become a follower of Buddha this is the first step you must achieve before you can attempt to even step on the center path!!! :anjali:

https://youtu.be/IYzlVDlE72w

Please enjoy
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Leonard Cohen took refuge and spent a number of years in semi-retreat, and certainly understood the suffering of samsara. But he also insisted that he was still a tirthika - specifically he never renounced Judaism - and I wouldn’t really describe him as a Bodhisattva. A good person, perhaps.
Genjo Conan

Post by Genjo Conan »

The Beastie Boys' Adam Yauch (aka MCA) was a practicing Buddhist, and one of the songs on Ill Communication was called "Bodhisattva Vow"...and it's kinda wack, to be honest.
DharmaJunior

Post by DharmaJunior »

Manwon wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:42 am “You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.”
— Buddha

The other day I was listening to a song by Whitney Houston ( The Children are our future ) and I realized that the above quote and this song where made for each other. It is very sad that Whitney did not understand how important understanding and truly loving yourself truly is. For someone who
wishes become a follower of Buddha this is the first step you must achieve before you can attempt to even step on the center path!!! :anjali:

Please enjoy
:heart: the future are our children

Manwon

Post by Manwon »

Thanks for your reply, and also for the video. I have seen that, and it's amazing thank you very much for sharing. :smile: :smile:

Take Care my friend
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Genjo Conan wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:20 pm The Beastie Boys' Adam Yauch (aka MCA) was a practicing Buddhist, and one of the songs on Ill Communication was called "Bodhisattva Vow"...and it's kinda wack, to be honest.
The lyrics are taken almost directly from the beginning of Chapter 1, Shantideva's Bodhisattvacaryāvatāra:

As I develop the awakening mind
I praise the Buddhas as they shine
I bow before you as I travel my path
To join your ranks, I make my full-time task
For the sake of all beings I seek
The enlightened mind that I know I'll reap
Respect to Shantideva and all the others
Who brought down the Dharma for the sisters and brothers
I give thanks for this world as a place to learn
And for this human body that I know I've earned
And my deepest thanks to all sentient beings
For without them, there would be no place to learn what I'm seeing
There's nothing here that's not been said before
But I put it down now so that I'll be sure
To solidify my own views
And I'll be glad if it helps anyone else out too
If others disrespect me or give me flak
I'll stop and think before I react
Knowing that they're going through insecure stages
I'll take the opportunity to exercise patience
I'll see it as a chance to help the other person
Nip it in the bud before it can worsen
A chance for me to be strong and sure
As I think on the Buddhas who have come before
As I praise and respect the good they've done
Knowing love can conquer hate in every situation
We need other people in order to create
The circumstances for the learning that we're here to generate
Situations that bring up our deepest fears
So we can work to release them until they're cleared
Therefore, it only makes sense
To thank our enemies despite their intent
The Bodhisattva path is one of power and strength
A strength from within to go the length
Seeing others are as important as myself
I strive for a happiness of mental wealth
With the interconnectedness that we share as one
Every action that we take affects everyone
So in deciding for what a situation calls
There is a path for the good for all
I try to make my every action for that highest good
With the altruistic wish to achieve Buddhahood
So I pledge here before everyone who's listening
To try to make my every action for the good of all beings
For the rest of my lifetimes and even beyond
I vow to do my best, to do no harm
And in times of doubt, I can think on the Dharma
And the Enlightened Ones who've graduated Samsara
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Genjo Conan

Post by Genjo Conan »

And as a rap, it's kinda wack
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Genjo Conan wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:16 pm And as a rap, it's kinda wack
LOL. Yes. Well meaning, but wouldn't even make it as a B side to anything off Paul's Boutique, or even License to Ill, for that matter.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Yeah, re-listened to that track after years of not paying attention to the Beastie Boys because I was getting back into Dharma, and thought "cool this'll be motivational". It 's a pretty cringey track...to be honest. Maybe that's ok though, there are lessons to learned in unabashed, cheezy good-heartedness.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

I like Buddhism...

I like the Beastie Boys....

But....
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

It's not the 1980s anymore, and I think with the benefit of hindsight, it's ok to say that the Beastie Boys really weren't very good
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

PeterC wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:50 am It's not the 1980s anymore, and I think with the benefit of hindsight, it's ok to say that the Beastie Boys really weren't very good
Paul's Boutique is a great. You might need to regress into a teenage boy to appreciate it, but its dope. License to Ill... well I was in 7th grade when that came out and fighting for your right to party sounded like a great thing to me at the time. I can't listen to most of that album anymore.

But if you really want to get real, 80s rap in general was a joke, some of it literally just for laughs. Rap didn't become real art until the late 80s early 90s with groups like Tribe Called Quest. Tribe took it to a different level.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Queequeg wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:23 pm
PeterC wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:50 am It's not the 1980s anymore, and I think with the benefit of hindsight, it's ok to say that the Beastie Boys really weren't very good
Paul's Boutique is a great. You might need to regress into a teenage boy to appreciate it, but its dope. License to Ill... well I was in 7th grade when that came out and fighting for your right to party sounded like a great thing to me at the time. I can't listen to most of that album anymore.

But if you really want to get real, 80s rap in general was a joke, some of it literally just for laughs. Rap didn't become real art until the late 80s early 90s with groups like Tribe Called Quest. Tribe took it to a different level.
Maybe it's a one of these things that you can only really appreciate at that age. I did try listening to License to Ill again, and it's the sort of thing that sounded great at the time and now you just cringe. But it's hard to judge these things. It did sound pretty great at the time.

But on '80s rap - I'm going to have to politely disagree. You had Run DMC's first album, Ice-T's Power, LL Cool J's two best albums, Big Daddy Kane, the Jungle Brothers, Public Enemy's Nation of Millions, Eazy-E's first album (financed entirely by pharmaceutical distribution, allegedly), even things like the Jungle Brothers and De La Soul. It was less polished and not as well produced as the 1990s, sure, but the 80s were a pretty crazy decade and there wasn't yet big money in rap music. But it was not a bad decade.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

PeterC wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:03 pm
Queequeg wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:23 pm

Maybe it's a one of these things that you can only really appreciate at that age. I did try listening to License to Ill again, and it's the sort of thing that sounded great at the time and now you just cringe. But it's hard to judge these things. It did sound pretty great at the time.

But on '80s rap - I'm going to have to politely disagree. You had Run DMC's first album, Ice-T's Power, LL Cool J's two best albums, Big Daddy Kane, the Jungle Brothers, Public Enemy's Nation of Millions, Eazy-E's first album (financed entirely by pharmaceutical distribution, allegedly), even things like the Jungle Brothers and De La Soul. It was less polished and not as well produced as the 1990s, sure, but the 80s were a pretty crazy decade and there wasn't yet big money in rap music. But it was not a bad decade.
License to Ill was significant at the time, but it does not stand up. It made rap accessible to pubescent suburban kids like me. Like what Elvis did for Rock and Roll. I'm sure the Beasties would hate that comparison. Listen to Paul's Boutique. That's their best album, IMO.

Some of those guys you mention, that's the transition from the call and response and stilted rhyming of the early 80s into what became hip hop. PE's first album was 87. Ice-T's early stuff was that... kind of gimicky mid-80s stuff. LL... his stuff wasn't all that until the late 80s. I appreciate RunDMC, but I was never thought it was great, but I realize I'm not going to have a lot of company among rap/hip hop historians. Anyway, my point... late 80s is when you start hearing what hip hop became. 90s was when hip hop blew up and took over the world.
Genjo Conan

Post by Genjo Conan »

Paul's Boutique and Hello Nasty were great, as were about half of Check Your Head and Ill Communication. Their later albums were IMO good but not great, and yeah, License is pretty juvenile. All of their albums were too damn long.

Edit: full disclosure, I'm a 42 year old white guy from Brooklyn. If I don't rep the Beasties I'm scared that the ghost of Ed Koch is going to come haunt me
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Yeah, the Beasties had some other good stuff. It was pretty strictly white boy Lollalpalooza music, though. I don't think any of my black friends were ever impressed with it. Until Eminem, white boys in rap were just gimmicks... ie. Vanilla Ice, Third Bass. Em still only gets grudging respect.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

License to Ill was contemporary with stuff like RUN DMC...doesn't hold a candle to their later work. I do think that (as far as the limits of pop music goes) Paul's Boutique and a few other albums really pushed the envelope in a good way. But when evaluating pop music for originality the bar is not that high, frankly.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Queequeg wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:19 pm I appreciate RunDMC, but I was never thought it was great, but I realize I'm not going to have a lot of company among rap/hip hop historians.
You’re putting down Run DMC and praising the Beastie Boys? This is serious revisionist history.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

PeterC wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:08 am
Queequeg wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:19 pm I appreciate RunDMC, but I was never thought it was great, but I realize I'm not going to have a lot of company among rap/hip hop historians.
You’re putting down Run DMC and praising the Beastie Boys? This is serious revisionist history.
That's not quite what I was saying... personally, I've never understood the love for RunDMC. I get why they're important - more important than the Beasties. That's just personal taste and I can't claim that my taste is good.

Return to “Lounge”