KiwiNFLFan wrote: ↑Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:38 am
Oh, so the standard morning and evening gongyo
the first part of Chapter 2 (Hoben) and the verse section of Chapter 16 (starting 自我得佛來 ji ga toku bu rai)?
Yeah, more or less. The verse section of Chapter 21 is also sometimes added.
What other prayers do you chant?
Generally, the format I use is:
Kaikyoge (Verses for Opening the Sutra)
- Chaps. 2 & 16 (verse) are most common
- Chaps. 12, 21, and/or 25 (usually just the verses) are also sometimes recited, not necessarily in addition to 2 & 16.
- Nichiren Shonin’s Instructions
- Hotoge (This can be left out - it’s typically recited to a special beat played on the mokusho)
- Eko (Prayer)
- Shiguseigan (Four Great Vows)
The other things included in the gongyo book are usually just done in temple services, but that’s more or less the standard liturgy. There are variations from temple to temple; Nichiren Shu is a confederation of lineages, so not everything is strictly the same. Just fairly similar.