Why is Nichiren Buddhism better than Kabbalah?

tkp67

Re: Why is Nichiren Buddhism better than Kabbalah?

Post by tkp67 »

observation of the mind [観心] ( kanjin): To perceive or awaken to the ultimate reality inherent in one’s life. Also, the method of practice that makes this possible. In contrast with doctrinal study of the Buddhist sutras, observation of the mind means to perceive in the depths of one’s being the truth that is beyond verbal explanation. Observing the mind is particularly stressed in T’ien-t’ai’s practice, in which meditation is focused on the true nature of the mind rather than upon some exterior object. In Great Concentration and Insight, T’ien-t’ai (538–597) taught meditation to perceive “the region of the unfathomable,” which is interpreted as either the unification of the three truths in a single mind or three thousand realms in a single moment of life. This means, in essence, to perceive one’s inherent Buddhahood, which is the goal of the T’ien-t’ai system of meditation.
Nichiren (1222–1282) defined T’ien-t’ai’s observation of the mind as follows: “The observation of the mind means to observe one’s own mind and to find the Ten Worlds within it” (356). Nichikan, the twenty-sixth chief priest of Taiseki-ji temple, interpreted the above statement in his Exegesis on “The Object of Devotion for Observing the Mind” as follows: “‘To observe one’s own mind’ means to believe in the Gohonzon [the object of devotion in Nichiren’s teaching]. ‘To find the Ten Worlds within it’ means to chant [the daimoku of] the Mystic Law. If only you believe in the Gohonzon and chant the Mystic Law, then the Ten Worlds of the Gohonzon will become the Ten Worlds of your own life.” This interpretation is based on the passage from Nichiren’s Object of Devotion for Observing the Mind that reads: “Shakyamuni’s practices and the virtues he consequently attained are all contained within the five characters of Myoho-renge-kyo. If we believe in these five characters, we will naturally be granted the same benefits as he was” (365). In Nichiren’s teaching, the observation of the mind means to believe in the Gohonzon, the embodiment of three thousand realms in a single moment of life, and chant the daimoku. This is the teaching that embracing the Gohonzon is in itself observing one’s own mind, i.e., attaining enlightenment.
Observation of the mind also means to interpret the sutras from the viewpoint of the truth one realizes in one’s life. In Nichiren’s teaching, it means to read the sutras from the viewpoint of the principle of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.
---> https://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/dic/Content/O/5

observation of the mind
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

lol
so like im slandering the Sutra cause i think it is ok to do foot reflexology..shiatsu..acupuncture, stop taking vitamins..live of nettles and daimoku...for heavens sake don't even think of exercise...meditation of any kind will sentence you to hell...
do not meditate..i implore you...

:rolleye:

where do you get your interpretations from...which sect of Nichiren...seriously...which one do you follow..simple question ..important one as well for people should realize where you are coming from...cause it's like something i got over a long time ago and found Nichiren Shu to understand what i am talking about. In fact without the help of Nichiren shu i would still be looking to meld with Nichiren Daishonin ...

instead of enjoying Nichiren's life condition due to chanting with His signature as one of the aspects of Gohonzon one is generating whilst chanting.

this is also why i am concerned at what signatures are depicted on what one considers part of Nichiren's Gohonzon He inscribed.
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Although this goal may be set forth as the original purpose for which one person, Shakyamuni, made his appearance in the world, yet all beings in the stage of near-perfect enlightenment and below should look up to it and should have faith in this sutra, the Lotus. For this sutra itself is the original purpose for which the Buddhas appear in the world.

And daimoku represents the cause and condition that permits not only us but all living beings to proceed directly to the place of enlightenment.

We may wonder whether, without reciting the sutra, it is possible simply through the meditation of the mind-ground9 alone to attain Buddhahood. The fact is that the meditation on three thousand realms in a single moment of life and the method of meditation known as threefold contemplation in a single mind are contained within the five characters Myoho-renge-kyo. And these five characters, Myoho-renge-kyo, are also contained within the single life of each of us. Thus T’ien-t’ai’s commentary states: “This Myoho-renge-kyo represents the depths of the secret storehouse of the original state, the enlightenment attained by the Thus Come Ones of the three existences.”10

When we chant this Myoho-renge-kyo, the Buddha of original enlightenment present in our lives becomes manifest. Our bodies and minds are comparable to the storehouse of the teachings, and the word myo is comparable to the seal [that permits the opening of the storehouse]. Thus the commentary of T’ien-t’ai states: “To reveal the depths of the secret storehouse—this is called myo, or wonderful. To define the proper relationship between the provisional and the true—this is termed ho, or the Law. To point to the original enlightenment attained by the Buddha in the far distant past—this is compared to ren, or lotus. To clarify the perfect way of the p.86non-duality of provisional and true—this is compared to ge, or blossom. The voice carries out the work of the Buddha, and this is called kyo, or sutra.”11

And the commentary also states: “Myo is a term used to praise the Law that is beyond ordinary comprehension. Myo is also the Law of the Ten Worlds and the ten factors, the Law that is both provisional and true.”12

Chanting the daimoku, or title, of the Lotus Sutra is the same as carrying out meditation. Ignorant persons may find this difficult to believe. But the second volume of Great Concentration and Insight by T’ien-t’ai has a passage “regarding recitation and silence” in which the word “recitation” refers to recitation of the Lotus Sutra and “silence” to the practice of meditation or contemplation. And again, in the first volume of his Meaning of the Four Teachings, T’ien-t’ai states: “Not only [are such practices as recitation] not a needless waste of effort, they are essential in enabling one to grasp the principle involved.”
---> https://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/wnd-2/Content/180

The Doctrine of Three Thousand Realms in a Single Moment of Life
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

No you are slandering the lotus sutra because you don't understand the significance between the provisional and true teachings. Due to this ignorance you are adamant on promoting the provisional in light of the practice of Nichiren Buddhists to discard expedients.

I don't believe there is any Nichiren school that promotes the provisional teachings.

The differences between Nichiren being a saint versus a buddha has absolutely nothing to do with this and that difference does not validate introduction of the provisional in any way whatsoever.

You are simply stating that you honor your attachment to the provisional teachings then the teachings of Nichiren.

If you think Nichiren Shu supports your position I implore you find a Shu citation to back up your claims or accept that your slander has no basis other than what you assume.
Minobu wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:13 pm lol
so like im slandering the Sutra cause i think it is ok to do foot reflexology..shiatsu..acupuncture, stop taking vitamins..live of nettles and daimoku...for heavens sake don't even think of exercise...meditation of any kind will sentence you to hell...
do not meditate..i implore you...

:rolleye
where do you get your interpretations from...which sect of Nichiren...seriously...which one do you follow..simple question ..important one as well for people should realize where you are coming from...cause it's like something i got over a long time ago and found Nichiren Shu to understand what i am talking about. In fact without the help of Nichiren shu i would still be looking to meld with Nichiren Daishonin ...

instead of enjoying Nichiren's life condition due to chanting with His signature as one of the aspects of Gohonzon one is generating whilst chanting.

this is also why i am concerned at what signatures are depicted on what one considers part of Nichiren's Gohonzon He inscribed.
Könchok Chödrak

Post by Könchok Chödrak »

There are a lot of Spiritual Practices in this world that are just as powerful as Gohonzon and reading the Buddhist text or the Lotus Sutra. However, they all encompass the Mystic Law of the Lotus Sutra and the Teachings of the Lotus Sutra, sometimes very directly and sometimes more indirectly. Anyone who has some to Enlightenment has done it by the full understanding of the Lotus Sutra's Teachings, one just has to grasp it's Mystic Law to gain such knowledge and Metta. If you want Enlightenment in this life, it's better to read the Lotus Sutra and chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo, and if you want to respect that the Mystic Law is all pervading, find it in every Buddha and Spiritual Teaching that leads to Enlightenment, because the Mystic Law is Love, there's no better word for what it is. SGI Teaches us how to Love perfectly, and if your friend wants to incorporate the most perfect Buddhist teachings into her life, simply let her know that ultimately wherever she is headed Spiritually, she will come to the point of accepting the Lotus Sutra, and become a full Buddha. That way she won't ever have to worry about her own peace, and with that she can Teach others the Lotus Sutra's Mystic Law to others by any means, even through Kabbalistic terminology. A Buddha can do that with the power of Expedient Means, which are mentioned as an important form of Teaching in the Lotus Sutra, and the Lotus Sutra can be taught in the form of Expedient Means to those who need it in such a way. Enlightenment is One, and so is the Mystic Law... So don't forget what you've found when you're looking in other places, because it's there for you too when you need it. Buddha will always be there for you, and Buddha is Nam Myoho Renge Kyo. So keep chanting! Om.
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

There is no practice that is as powerful as chanting daimoku to the gohonozon in the degenerate age. You understand it to a point. To quote you from below "If you want Enlightenment in this life, it's better to read the Lotus Sutra and chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo"

This teachings is the most powerful because it offers the highest state of liberation within this lifetime. A teaching would have to do both of those as stated in a fashion superior to the Lotus to be more powerful.

This isn't to say everything is patently meaningless or false outside of the Lotus sutra. This sutra and Nichiren teach they come from the same source however one is a teaching of the ten realms while religious practices work within the lower realms. The others won't lead anyone or teach them how to propagate a teaching that can.

This is the teaching to be propagated and practiced as a means to complete all paths without remainder.
Brahma wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:39 am There are a lot of Spiritual Practices in this world that are just as powerful as Gohonzon and reading the Buddhist text or the Lotus Sutra. However, they all encompass the Mystic Law of the Lotus Sutra and the Teachings of the Lotus Sutra, sometimes very directly and sometimes more indirectly. Anyone who has some to Enlightenment has done it by the full understanding of the Lotus Sutra's Teachings, one just has to grasp it's Mystic Law to gain such knowledge and Metta. If you want Enlightenment in this life, it's better to read the Lotus Sutra and chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo, and if you want to respect that the Mystic Law is all pervading, find it in every Buddha and Spiritual Teaching that leads to Enlightenment, because the Mystic Law is Love, there's no better word for what it is. SGI Teaches us how to Love perfectly, and if your friend wants to incorporate the most perfect Buddhist teachings into her life, simply let her know that ultimately wherever she is headed Spiritually, she will come to the point of accepting the Lotus Sutra, and become a full Buddha. That way she won't ever have to worry about her own peace, and with that she can Teach others the Lotus Sutra's Mystic Law to others by any means, even through Kabbalistic terminology. A Buddha can do that with the power of Expedient Means, which are mentioned as an important form of Teaching in the Lotus Sutra, and the Lotus Sutra can be taught in the form of Expedient Means to those who need it in such a way. Enlightenment is One, and so is the Mystic Law... So don't forget what you've found when you're looking in other places, because it's there for you too when you need it. Buddha will always be there for you, and Buddha is Nam Myoho Renge Kyo. So keep chanting! Om.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

the kabbalah is not a Buddhist practice, neither is foot reflexology. these are fun things to do like generation stage and completion stage tantra..

i guess i'm doomed to a life of slander for having someone massaging my feet.

you know it was my turning my back on Goddess Kundalini after listening to this sort of fanatical crap from a shoshu priest

She left me and i don't blame Her. The rarest of moments brought about my practice gets pushed aside due to being hood winked with this fantaical crap from rev. Iwakki. I fell for the easiest trick in the book to turn me back on Her.

I blame me..and maybe in a thousand lifetimes i'll get me chance again.

The same priest that gonked me on me head during gojukai and had this other incredible experience with, that no one at the time could explain.

So where i'm at now...

don't listen to this fanaticism and follow my bliss.

these priest carry with them the Power...but they don't realize it...they go for the party line..

it truly is someone walking around with a jewel in their pocket and are starving to death at the same time from poverty.

I recall when i first got to know my root guru and he took me aside and said "One day you just got to stop trying to learn from me and come here for all the initiations and just do it on your own. One day you have to do it on your own". not an exact quote at all...but He tried to explain that at some point you will know what is right...he was honest..not a money grubbing new age nightmare person...

i've tried my best here...
that be it buoy ..G'Day.
_johnarundel_

Post by _johnarundel_ »

Hi!

From a doctrinal level, I would try to explain the difference between Buddhist teachings and non-Buddhist teachings, showing that Buddhism is profound because it teaches cause and effect that spans the three existences of past, present, and future. And that within Buddhism, the Lotus Sutra represents Shakyamuni Buddha's highest teaching because it reveals his true identity and teaches that everyone can attain Buddhahood. Finally, in our current age of Mappo, because of our lower capacities, we must receive the seed of Buddhahood for the first time by chanting Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo to the Gohonzon, which is how common mortals can attain Buddhahood in their present form, as taught by Nichiren Daishonin.

However, this is the doctrinal answer. But, if your friend is not well versed in Buddhism, this may just confuse them. I would recommend explaining to them on a personal level how Buddhism has positively affected you and your life. A personal dialouge based on compassion can be a good way to share the true Law with others.

The current High Priest Nichinyo Shonin states the following about this:
Shakubuku is always performed one-on-one. In fact, our thoughtful wish “to want to make a person happy” will prove effective only when there is a one-to-one dialogue in which we open our hearts and speak our minds....Just as we saw in the conduct of the Daishonin, we must start by telling one person. Then, we gradually tell two, three, and a hundred people. This is the fundamental form of shakubuku.

(Shakubuku yomon, p. 145)

Here are some introduction materials:

http://www.buddhistcentre.net/download/SBChapter1.pdf

http://www.buddhistcentre.net/download/ ... actice.pdf

And this is Rev. Shinga Takikawa (Chief Priest of Myosetsuji Temple) letter to new member:

https://nstny.org/new-members
"The five characters of Myoho-Renge-Kyo are the core of the Lotus Sutra and the origin of all Buddhas throughout the entire world. Upon seeing the signs that these five characters now must be propagated, I, Nichiren, have set the precedent, today, at the beginning of the Latter Day of the Law."

- Nichiren Daishonin, “Shuju onfurumai-gosho” 種種御振舞御書

https://www.nichirenshoshu.or.jp/eng/daishonin.html
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

_johnarundel_ wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:44 pm
The current High Priest Nichinyo Shonin states the following about this:
Shakubuku is always performed one-on-one. In fact, our thoughtful wish “to want to make a person happy” will prove effective only when there is a one-to-one dialogue in which we open our hearts and speak our minds....Just as we saw in the conduct of the Daishonin, we must start by telling one person. Then, we gradually tell two, three, and a hundred people. This is the fundamental form of shakubuku.

(Shakubuku yomon, p. 145)
:anjali:

Return to “Nichiren”