can we talk about this/differing sect ideas in Nichiren Schools

tkp67

Re: can we talk about this/differing sect ideas in Nichiren Schools

Post by tkp67 »

I recall reading that the devil king will seek to disrupt the prolongation of the lotus sutra in the later age. There is also a gosho regarding difficulties as proof of medicine working in progress. So as I see it the very challenge presented by the schism is an opportunity for Nichiren practitioners to strengthen conviction and practice regardless.

:anjali:
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

tkp67 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:15 pm I recall reading that the devil king will seek to disrupt the prolongation of the lotus sutra in the later age. There is also a gosho regarding difficulties as proof of medicine working in progress. So as I see it the very challenge presented by the schism is an opportunity for Nichiren practitioners to strengthen conviction and practice regardless.

Yes indeed !
The thing is thus..It's all under the auspice of the Buddha..so we all have to emulate "unity " itself...

It's political power...thats the problem..it's the grass roots of all schools that can lead us all to unity..
but i think thats like a millenia away..we have to grow as a human race...look at how long it took for something like Black lives matter to actually materialize and bring down racism ..it's out in the open now...it cannot be denied...

if we all voice and demand and build some kind of thing like...the original Buddhist council that put it all together...A council that wishes to unify..

I recall the horrible things both leaders of gakki and Shoshu did to the populace of members. I mean that is enough to show you that they are more into power than FREEDOM From BULLSHIT...

when i was in the gakki the more you knocked the High Priest the more of a good fellow you were...then in the hokkeko same diff...lets knock Ikeda and feel that warm fuzzy group feeling...

Delusional not enlightenment at all..
_johnarundel_

Post by _johnarundel_ »

tkp67 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:15 pm I recall reading that the devil king will seek to disrupt the prolongation of the lotus sutra in the later age. There is also a gosho regarding difficulties as proof of medicine working in progress. So as I see it the very challenge presented by the schism is an opportunity for Nichiren practitioners to strengthen conviction and practice regardless.

Yes. The Daishonin states in "Reply to Hyo’e-sakan" ("Hyo’e sakan dono-gohenji"),
Changes certainly occur when the high tide yields to low tide, when the moon rises and sets, when summer gives way to autumn, or winter turns to spring. The same is true when a common mortal attains Buddhahood. At a critical moment, he definitely will encounter the three obstacles and four devils. The wise will rejoice, while the foolish will retreat.

(Gosho, p. 1184)

The Devil King of the Sixth Heaven (Tenji-ma)(第六天の魔王) - https://nstmyoshinji.org/terminology/de ... h-heaven/
"The five characters of Myoho-Renge-Kyo are the core of the Lotus Sutra and the origin of all Buddhas throughout the entire world. Upon seeing the signs that these five characters now must be propagated, I, Nichiren, have set the precedent, today, at the beginning of the Latter Day of the Law."

- Nichiren Daishonin, “Shuju onfurumai-gosho” 種種御振舞御書

https://www.nichirenshoshu.or.jp/eng/daishonin.html
Shoho

Post by Shoho »

I am preparing to continue the Kanjin Honzon Sho study group topic. I believe this will clear up many things about this topic.
I would suggest getting the Nichiren shu English gosho
Doctrine 2. It has a close to the original translation of the Kanjin Honzon Sho.
Gassho
Shoho
‘Do you really know what you know you know?’
Daevid Allen-Gong
_johnarundel_

Post by _johnarundel_ »

Minobu wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:53 pm "QQ" thank you ever so much for being you and putting the time in your life to actually study this whole thing and help people like me who seek the truth..This man has dedicated his life to Lotus Buddhism...

So like yeah Nikko shonin got the property given to him at taisekiji ...but it was only after his death that this whole Daigohonzon ,Buddha of Kuon Ganjo was produced from taisekiji...
Look at what people think of Lord Buddha Sakyamuni..incredible...they think he is like a back seat driver to someone else..
Both the Buddha of Kuon-Ganjo and the Dai-Gohonzon were in existence at the time of Nikko Shonin.

First, Nikko Shonin states in the "Articles to be Observed after the Passing of Nikko" ("Nikko Ato Jojo no Koto"),
Article 2: The Dai-Gohonzon of the second year of Kō`an (1279), which Nikko inherited [from Nichiren Daishonin], is hereby bequeathed to Nichimoku. It should be enshrined at Hommonji Temple.

(Gosho, p. 1884)
The original of this document exists at Taiseki-ji. Two of them exist. One is a draft dating from the second year of Gentoku (1330). The actual transfer document is dated the fist year of Shoukei (1332).

There is a book in Japanese that compares the signatures and seals of this document and others of Nikko Shonin's documents and letters from this time in his life, and it is shown to be consistent. I believe parts of this book that compares the signature is online in Japanese. I'll see if I can get it to anyone who wants it.

Considering the Daishonin as the Buddha. Nikko Shonin himself referes to Nichiren Daishonin as the Buddha. The following terminology appears in Nikko Shonin's writings, when specifically referring to Nichiren Daishonin:
  • Hotoke Shonin- Nikko Shonin is referring to the Daishonin. Hotoke translates as Buddha. Shonin means Nichiren Daishonin. So one can read this in English as "The Buddha Daishonin"
  • Hotoke no Hozen - Hotoke as I mentioned means "Buddha." no Hozen refers to "reverence". So this can be read as "reverence torwards the Buddha." In the context of this letter, Nikko Shonin is referring to Nichiren Daishonin.
  • Hossu Shonin no Gohozen - hozen means reverence. Go is honorific and means sacred. Hossu Shonin means lord/teacher/master/high priest of the whole world.
Also, in two documents, "One Hundred and Six Articles" ("Hyaku Rokka Sho") and "On the True Cause" ("Honinmyo-sho"), Nichiren Daishonin specifically refers to himself as the Buddha. These two documents are called the Ryokan Kechimyaku.

Howver, these documents are disputed by Nichiren Shu and other Nichiren sects. Parts of these two documents have had later additions to them. Thus, 59th High Priest Nichiko Shonin, a renowned Buddhist scholar of his time, went through these two documents and seperated the original writing from the later additions.

Also, as Shoho has expained, the "True Object of Worship" ("Kanjin no Honzon Sho"), teaches this doctrine as well.
"The five characters of Myoho-Renge-Kyo are the core of the Lotus Sutra and the origin of all Buddhas throughout the entire world. Upon seeing the signs that these five characters now must be propagated, I, Nichiren, have set the precedent, today, at the beginning of the Latter Day of the Law."

Minobu

Post by Minobu »

are you saying Shonin translates into Buddha
_johnarundel_

Post by _johnarundel_ »

Minobu wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:16 pm are you saying Shonin translates into Buddha
No. Hotoke translates to Buddha. Shonin (上人) can translate to master.

gohonzon

Post by gohonzon »

Actually “Shonin” literally translates to “Correct Person” or “True Person”

But this title has been used for many Japanese Buddhist sects in deference to their superiors, so naturally the same method is used in Nichiren Shoshu.

The word “master” commonly used by Hokkeko priests to their Chief Priest is “o-sho-sama.” They can also use the word “Go-Hossu” which is another title sometimes used for the High Priest. Which is the same name the the disciples of Nichiren Daishonin often used during his lifetime.

Minobu will need to register for the Kankai Kishi “reaffirmation” ceremony if he wants his mother’s ashes to undergo the memorial ceremony and obtain the columbarium storage at the Head Temple. The local temple where his membership is registered is responsible for this registration process.
_johnarundel_

Post by _johnarundel_ »

gohonzon wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:06 am Actually “Shonin” literally translates to “Correct Person” or “True Person”
Thank you for pointing this out to me! The little Japanese that I know is quite poor. I hope to study Japanese soon.

Thanks again

dude

Post by dude »

There can be no doubt about that.

Return to “Nichiren”