Offerings to the Buddha

_johnarundel_

Offerings to the Buddha

Post by _johnarundel_ »

Gokuyo is the practice of giving offerings to the Three Treasures of the Buddhism of the Sowing. Concerning offerings, Nichiren Daishonin states in "On Attaining Buddhahood in this Lifetime" ("Issho jobutsu-sho"),
Whether you chant the Buddha's name, recite the sutra or merely offer flowers and incense, all your virtuous acts will implant benefits in your life. With this conviction, you should put your faith into practice.

(Gosho, p. 46)

The Taiko Drum

Ringing the Bell

Incense

Incense represents the property of the Law or the essential property of the Buddha's life. This is the truth to which the Buddha is enlightened.

White Candles

White candles represent the property of wisdom or spiritual property of the Buddha's life. This enables the Buddha to see the truth.

Water

In Nichiren Daishonin’s day (13th century Japan), the first water drawn from the well was offered to the Gohonzon. For this reason, we place fresh water in a cup in front of the Gohonzon first thing in the morning each day. There are two deep meanings behind this practice:

1) The function of water is to wash away filth and impurity. This refers to the function of chanting Nam Myoho Renge Kyo, which lets you extinquish your own bad karma and past slander.

2) The second meaning is that just as water flows from a high place downward to lower ones, the Buddha’s compassion and mercy flows from the heights of the world of Buddhahood downward to equally benefit all life in the lower nine worlds.

Food

While Nichiren Daishonin was in exile on Sado Island, he was living in extremely harsh conditions and food was very scarce. Thus, devout believers often sent him offerings in the form of food.

Evergreens

Evergreens represent the Property of Compassionate Action, the physical property of the Buddha. The Original Buddha is eternally endowed with the Three Enlightened Properties.
"The five characters of Myoho-Renge-Kyo are the core of the Lotus Sutra and the origin of all Buddhas throughout the entire world. Upon seeing the signs that these five characters now must be propagated, I, Nichiren, have set the precedent, today, at the beginning of the Latter Day of the Law."

- Nichiren Daishonin, “Shuju onfurumai-gosho” 種種御振舞御書

https://www.nichirenshoshu.or.jp/eng/daishonin.html
Shotenzenjin

Re: Offerings to the Buddha

Post by Shotenzenjin »

thank you for posting this
Generation's shall pass, our determination shall grow, at the foot of Mount Fuji
Like smoke that reaches far beyond the clouds.--nichimoku shonin. Third high priest of Nichiren Shoshu

Hokekko of true Buddhism https://nstny.org

Introduction to Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... VKyEQ_cxK9
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

Ah, I do miss the grand Shoshu altars. :smile: My favorite job was freshening the evergreens. Even to this day dusting and overhauling an altar is most satisfying.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Isn't it weird to use white candles ?
Bois de Santal

Post by Bois de Santal »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:56 am Isn't it weird to use white candles ?
I dunno - what colour do you use?
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Bois de Santal wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:19 am
Fortyeightvows wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:56 am Isn't it weird to use white candles ?
Usually red.
Bois de Santal

Post by Bois de Santal »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:29 am
Bois de Santal wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:19 am
Usually red.
Now that IS weird :smile:
_johnarundel_

Post by _johnarundel_ »

Hi!

There is a special siginificance to the white candles. White candles represent the "Property of Wisdom" , one of the Three Enlightened Properties that the Buddha is endowed with.

Incense represtent the "Property of the Law"
Evergreens represent the "Property of Compassionate Action"
"The five characters of Myoho-Renge-Kyo are the core of the Lotus Sutra and the origin of all Buddhas throughout the entire world. Upon seeing the signs that these five characters now must be propagated, I, Nichiren, have set the precedent, today, at the beginning of the Latter Day of the Law."

- Nichiren Daishonin, “Shuju onfurumai-gosho” 種種御振舞御書

https://www.nichirenshoshu.or.jp/eng/daishonin.html
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

narhwal90 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:28 am Ah, I do miss the grand Shoshu altars. :smile: My favorite job was freshening the evergreens. Even to this day dusting and overhauling an altar is most satisfying.
I am a clean freak who loathes housework ..but cleaning alters was always practice for me..

when i used to do toban i would do the alter so clean and shiny...the wax that dripped on the holders i would shine up after cleaning it off...the remains would make it gleam in the light..

Honbucho said she could always tell when the alter was cleaned by me.

and yeah great thread huh !

Return to “Nichiren Shoshu”