Sten Anspal thesis question

Rinchen Dorje

Sten Anspal thesis question

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

I know that a few people here have read this and in it there are a few brief mentions of 3 Dakinis that were integral to the Dorje Zampa/Vajra Bridge lineage...however their names or any real details about them are not mentioned. Does anyone have any information on this?
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
mutsuk

Re: Sten Anspal thesis question

Post by mutsuk »

Hi
They are collectively called bka' skyong gi mkha' 'gro ma sde gsum, i.e., the three categories of dakinis protecting the teachings. Their names are: 1. 'Bar ma'i gdong can (she with a blazing face), 2. mKha' la gshegs ma (she who travels through the sky), and mkha' la spyod ma (she who is active in the sky).
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Thank you so much! Been trying to find that out for years...
As I don't read Tibetan well at all can you write how their names are pronounced? (The letters in front of the actual pronunciation throws me off)
Also do you know if there are any pics of them? I have been trying for a long time to research the Vajra Bridge lineage but there just doesn't seem to be a lot out there and no Teachers except for ChNN that teach it that I can find
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

Fa Dao wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:41 am Thank you so much! Been trying to find that out for years...
You're welcome.
As I don't read Tibetan well at all can you write how their names are pronounced? (The letters in front of the actual pronunciation throws me off)
So the phonetics of their names are :
1. Barwai Dongchen ('Bar ba'i gdong can), She with a Blazing Face, or simply Blazing Face; she is described in the Vajra Bridge as the main dakini among the pure realm-born dakinis (zhing las skyes pa'i mkha' 'gro ma'i gtso mo);
2. Khala Shekma (mKha' la gshegs ma), she who fares or travels in the sky); she is described also in the Vajra Brdige as the main dakini among the action-born dakinis (las las skyes pa'i mkha' 'gro ma'i gtso mo); and
3. Khala Chöma (mKha' la spyod ma), she who activates or soars in the sky); she is described in the VB as the main dakini among the mantra-born dakinis (sngags las skyes pa'i mkha' 'gro ma'i gtso mo).
In the extensive version of the Vajra Bridge, there are only one mention of nos. 2 and 3. The first one appears twice, first in the list of the three dakinis, and then when she guides Shri Simha who was looking for Manjushrimitra.

Elsewhere, they introduce themselves to Garab Dorje and offer to protect his teachings.
Also do you know if there are any pics of them? I have been trying for a long time to research the Vajra Bridge lineage but there just doesn't seem to be a lot out there and no Teachers except for ChNN that teach it that I can find
Khentsün Sangpo Rinpoche had some tsaklis but I don't know where these are now. I'll ask around if someone has some scan they agree to share.
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

If you are looking for Longdé teachings, you should try to meet Tokden Rinpoche (of the Drigung Kagyüs). He received the complete transmission from Düdjom Rinpoche and taught the main texts on the Four Symbols from the Kama around the late 1980s in France. He very well knows how the practice should be performed.
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Very kind of you...
Sadly there just doesn't seem to be a lot on VB translated into English and I am too old and brain damaged to try and learn Tibetan.
Don't suppose you have heard of the Longde Root Upadesha of Dzin Dharmabodhi/Nyengyu Dorje Zampai Nyamtrid Gamgyi Yige Salwai Dronma have you?
Even having that in Tibetan to put on my altar would make for a good future connection.
Actually ANYTHING translated into English on VB would be awesome to find...
And again..thank you for your time...really...
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Posted before I saw that...will look him up
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

The brief description of the three dakinis is in the Kama where they are described as follows:

1. Barwai Dongchen is blue (sometimes black) with one face, two arms, naked, with three eyes, bone ornaments, holding a curved-knife in the right hand and a skull-cup in the left.
2. Khala Shekma is red with one face, two arms, has charnel grounds ornaments and holds a curved-knife in the right hand and a heart in the left.
3. Khala Chöma is yellow, with one face, two arms, is adorned with jewels, and holds a curved-knife in the right hand and a precious pouch in the left.
They are represented in an attitude of danse.
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

Fa Dao wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:31 am Sadly there just doesn't seem to be a lot on VB translated into English
I'm sure you have Norbu Rinpoche's transcripts of teachings, right? There's a longer transcript, issued in the 1980s, that has lots of details, but only on the yogic/dzogchen part of the practice, not on the tantric aspect.
Don't suppose you have heard of the Longde Root Upadesha of Dzin Dharmabodhi/Nyengyu Dorje Zampai Nyamtrid Gamgyi Yige Salwai Dronma have you?
I have the text and the french translation by Jean-Luc Achard. He has also done an abridged version of the text... I'll try to find some time to turn at least the abridged version in English.
Even having that in Tibetan to put on my altar would make for a good future connection.
If you want the Tibetan text of this work (the Gomgyi Yige Selwai Drönma), I can send you a pdf.
The only thing available right now that I can think of are Norbu Rinpoche's transcripts, as well as his Longsel text on the Four Das.
You're welcome, always a pleasure to share with interested practitioners.
ratna

Post by ratna »

Fa Dao wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:31 am Very kind of you...
Sadly there just doesn't seem to be a lot on VB translated into English and I am too old and brain damaged to try and learn Tibetan.
Here you go.

R
Attachments
Nyams khrid gsal ba'i sgron ma.pdf
(589.66 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
ratna

Post by ratna »

Great posts as always, Mutsuk! I'm curious if you or JLA are working on Longde texts these days and is any publication on this topic, in English or French, expected in the future?

R
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

You are referring to the teachings he gave in London in 1981 with a line drawing of Pang Mipham Gonpo on the front? Then yes..someone was kind enough to share that with me.
As to translating the French abridged version into English...I would like to be noble and tell you that I wouldn't want to trouble you with all that work but that would be very dishonest of me :D
However, in PM just let me know where I could send you a donation for your time and trouble..Im poor but would sell what I have to be able to get that. Jean-Luc Achard is one of the giants so Im sure his abridged version has pretty much every salient point there would be.
Im pretty sure that I have everything Norbu ever wrote on Longde as well as the video. However when you refer to "Longsel text on the Four Das" you mean the Root Upadesha on the Vajra Bridge of Longde, right?
Wow just saw that before I posted this...too cool..this is the abridged in Tibetan or the full thing? Either way will be printing it out in the next few minutes...woo hoo!!
florin

Post by florin »

mutsuk wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:14 am If you are looking for Longdé teachings, you should try to meet Tokden Rinpoche (of the Drigung Kagyüs). He received the complete transmission from Düdjom Rinpoche and taught the main texts on the Four Symbols from the Kama around the late 1980s in France. He very well knows how the practice should be performed.
Is this the rinpoche you are referring to ?
36A554B6-8D5C-4F2F-9DD4-1D3FE5DBB0D6.jpeg
36A554B6-8D5C-4F2F-9DD4-1D3FE5DBB0D6.jpeg (19.64 KiB) Viewed 3141 times
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Yes, that's him.
billy hudson

Post by billy hudson »

Fa Dao wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:41 am As I don't read Tibetan well at all can you write how their names are pronounced? (The letters in front of the actual pronunciation throws me off)
If you type the Tibetan letters or the Wylie transliteration (which mutsuk provided) into this website, it will return a possible phonetic pronunciation:

https://www.thlib.org/reference/transli ... verter.php

Here is a correlation table between the Tibetan and Wylie:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wylie_tra ... %20Studies.

Here is a website that will return possible translations if you type the Tibetan or Wylie:

http://www.thlib.org/reference/dictiona ... nslate.php

Finally, here is a Tibetan keyboard emulator (I generally choose the "Tibetan Khams" keyboard" under the "Asia" link):

https://keymanweb.com/?_ga=2.184854249. ... c_kbdtiprd
florin

Post by florin »

Norwegian wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:49 pm Yes, that's him.
Thanks. I wasn’t sure.
Moha

Post by Moha »

billy hudson wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:26 pm
If you type the Tibetan letters or the Wylie transliteration (which mutsuk provided) into this website, it will return a possible phonetic pronunciation:

https://www.thlib.org/reference/transli ... verter.php

Here is a correlation table between the Tibetan and Wylie:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wylie_tra ... %20Studies.

Here is a website that will return possible translations if you type the Tibetan or Wylie:

http://www.thlib.org/reference/dictiona ... nslate.php

Finally, here is a Tibetan keyboard emulator (I generally choose the "Tibetan Khams" keyboard" under the "Asia" link):

https://keymanweb.com/?_ga=2.184854249. ... c_kbdtiprd
Thank you for these links. Very helpful!
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

florin wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:35 pm
mutsuk wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:14 am If you are looking for Longdé teachings, you should try to meet Tokden Rinpoche (of the Drigung Kagyüs). He received the complete transmission from Düdjom Rinpoche and taught the main texts on the Four Symbols from the Kama around the late 1980s in France. He very well knows how the practice should be performed.
Yes ! Rinpoche is a lineage holder of numerous Dzogchen teachings and cycles. With Norbu Rinpoche and Khetsün Sangpo, he is one of the rare lamas knowledgeable about Longdé (and whatever Man-ngag-sde you want to ask, from Khandro Nyingthik to Yangti Nakpo and so on). He is very enthusiastic when asked unusual teachings (this changes from the standard sadhana and initiation that are generally asked of him).
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

mutsuk wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:11 pm
florin wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:35 pm
Yes ! Rinpoche is a lineage holder of numerous Dzogchen teachings and cycles. With Norbu Rinpoche and Khetsün Sangpo, he is one of the rare lamas knowledgeable about Longdé (and whatever Man-ngag-sde you want to ask, from Khandro Nyingthik to Yangti Nakpo and so on). He is very enthusiastic when asked unusual teachings (this changes from the standard sadhana and initiation that are generally asked of him).
Here's to hoping the world can get its collective shit together as soon as possible so that we can actually travel again (and safely).

I take it Tokden Rinpoche primarily resides in Lhadak, but how much does he travel? And when he does, where does he go?
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

ratna wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:06 am Great posts as always, Mutsuk! I'm curious if you or JLA are working on Longde texts these days and is any publication on this topic, in English or French, expected in the future?
I am not sure what JL has in mind. Of course, if something is published, and if it's authorized on DW, I'll announce it here.

What about you? Are you planning to issue other works on Longdé?

Return to “Dzogchen”