Lama Lena Testimonies/Credentials

KonchogUrgyenNyima

Lama Lena Testimonies/Credentials

Post by KonchogUrgyenNyima »

Hello all,

I’ve been enjoying Lama Lena’s teachings a lot and i would love to hear from people who have been around her. I know she’s been with some hefty lamas. I would particularly like to hear from her students.
Tata1

Re: Lama Lena Testimonies/Credentials

Post by Tata1 »

KonchogUrgyenNyima wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:09 am Hello all,

I’ve been enjoying Lama Lena’s teachings a lot and i would love to hear from people who have been around her. I know she’s been with some hefty lamas. I would particularly like to hear from her students.
She is great but it's not clear what you want to know. Maybe a little more specific? :twothumbsup:
KonchogUrgyenNyima

Post by KonchogUrgyenNyima »

Tata1 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:34 pm

She is great but it's not clear what you want to know. Maybe a little more specific? :twothumbsup:
Oh okay yah thanks for pointing that out. I guess what i’m really looking for is information on whether or not she is someone who is safe to take as a guru. Does she truly act with the well-being of her disciples in mind? I have enjoyed her teachings a lot and it seems like the answer to my questions is yes. But these are things that only people who are, or have been, close to her can know.

I’m also wondering which lineages she holds and what she can transmit. Longchen nyingthig? Vima nyingthig? Khandro nyingthig? Something completely different?
Pero

Post by Pero »

If you received teachings from her she is already your guru.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

KonchogUrgyenNyima wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:38 pm
Tata1 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:34 pm

Oh okay yah thanks for pointing that out. I guess what i’m really looking for is information on whether or not she is someone who is safe to take as a guru. Does she truly act with the well-being of her disciples in mind? I have enjoyed her teachings a lot and it seems like the answer to my questions is yes. But these are things that only people who are, or have been, close to her can know.

I’m also wondering which lineages she holds and what she can transmit. Longchen nyingthig? Vima nyingthig? Khandro nyingthig? Something completely different?
Well i can only tell you my experience and that of my friends but it i guess you have to find out for yourself. She has been nothing but helpfull.

I dont know exactly which linage she holds nor i dont know if she teaches a particular cycle. But she is one of wangdors rimpoches dzogchen linage holders. You can ask her yourself tho
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

According to what I have gathered:

Her lineage is authentic. She was a student of Wangdor Rinpoche for 50 years. She also took teachings from Lama Yeshe, Loppon Tenzin Namdak, and others.

As far as a teacher, she says she is willing to be a provisional teacher for anyone. She recommends trying her out for a few years before jumping into a committed guru-disciple relationship, which is good advice.

As for lineages, she holds multiple, but she is primarily Rime. Check out her last Q&A where some one asked this very question.

However, if you want something from some one who has known her for a long time, I would ask at her forum:

https://lamalenateachings.com/sangha/
KonchogUrgyenNyima wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:38 pm Oh okay yah thanks for pointing that out. I guess what i’m really looking for is information on whether or not she is someone who is safe to take as a guru. Does she truly act with the well-being of her disciples in mind? I have enjoyed her teachings a lot and it seems like the answer to my questions is yes. But these are things that only people who are, or have been, close to her can know.

"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
monkishlife

Post by monkishlife »

I've listened to a few of her talks. Of course, that is far from enough for me to make an assessment of her.

She seems very legitimate and quite skilled at relaying fundamental ideas of Tibetan Buddhism.

I have a good feeling about her overall. But I'm not going to set that in stone.

Best of luck with Lama Lena. :thumbsup:
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

Pero wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:41 pm If you received teachings from her she is already your guru.
Not true and it's a bit sad to see this old trope still being peddled in the forum.

Too many cults and too many scandals, surely people have learned by now.

Take teachings, check their qualities and if you feel the teacher is legitimate then cultivate a deeper relationship.

Until then they're just a helpful person, worthy of great respect, but not necessarily your guru.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Tilopa wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:52 am
Pero wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:41 pm If you received teachings from her she is already your guru.
Not true and it's a bit sad to see this old trope still being peddled in the forum.

Too many cults and too many scandals, surely people have learned by now.

Take teachings, check their qualities and if you feel the teacher is legitimate then cultivate a deeper relationship.

Until then they're just a helpful person, worthy of great respect, but not necessarily your guru.
i know the same, only a transmission like an empowerment can bring such relationship.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Pero

Post by Pero »

As far as I know once you receive introduction to the nature of mind or empowerment that person automatically becomes your guru. Actually same for getting lung from someone although I guess to a lesser degree. Of course your relationship with various teachers and their influence on your practice will vary, not all will have the same "impact". Some you may only get an empowerment from once and never see them again, nor practice what you got either, but they are still one of your teachers. Don't see what that has to do with cults.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

Pero wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:40 am As far as I know once you receive introduction to the nature of mind or empowerment that person automatically becomes your guru. Actually same for getting lung from someone although I guess to a lesser degree. Of course your relationship with various teachers and their influence on your practice will vary, not all will have the same "impact". Some you may only get an empowerment from once and never see them again, nor practice what you got either, but they are still one of your teachers. Don't see what that has to do with cults.
Yes if you take an empowerment from someone you should see them as your guru but most lamas also give non tantric teachings and people can listen to them without establishing a formal guru/disciple relationship.
Pero

Post by Pero »

Tilopa wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:33 am
Pero wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:40 am As far as I know once you receive introduction to the nature of mind or empowerment that person automatically becomes your guru. Actually same for getting lung from someone although I guess to a lesser degree. Of course your relationship with various teachers and their influence on your practice will vary, not all will have the same "impact". Some you may only get an empowerment from once and never see them again, nor practice what you got either, but they are still one of your teachers. Don't see what that has to do with cults.
Yes if you take an empowerment from someone you should see them as your guru but most lamas also give non tantric teachings and people can listen to them without establishing a formal guru/disciple relationship.
Maybe it's just my luck (or it's due to lack of interest perhaps haha) that almost all teachings I received were of the former kind. Specifically in this case it seems to me Lama Lena gives direct introduction almost every time she teaches.
- Shabkar
Danny

Post by Danny »

Pero wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:59 pm
Maybe it's just my luck (or it's due to lack of interest perhaps haha) that almost all teachings I received were of the former kind. Specifically in this case it seems to me Lama Lena gives direct introduction almost every time she teaches.
my understanding is certain conditions, from teachers perspective, i.e. time, place, student etc has to be watched with careful consideration before such an event can occur.

Not throwing dispersion out there, just countering the idea that D.I’s are done at every get together.
Is not my personal experience.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Not necessarily.
heart

Post by heart »

Danny wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:43 pm

my understanding is certain conditions, from teachers perspective, i.e. time, place, student etc has to be watched with careful consideration before such an event can occur.

Not throwing dispersion out there, just countering the idea that D.I’s are done at every get together.
If you are teaching texts like "Flight of the Garuda" and other Dzogchen texts it is supposed to include a direct introduction.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

heart wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:35 pm

If you are teaching texts like "Flight of the Garuda" and other Dzogchen texts it is supposed to include a direct introduction.

/magnus
She did indeed teach Flight of the Garuda in that way.
Danny

Post by Danny »

heart wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:35 pm

/magnus
Yes, I see she read Dowmans translation.
May it bring benefit.
GrapeLover

Post by GrapeLover »

She does actually state that she is attempting to transmit DI at every teaching, including the public Q&As etc
Danny

Post by Danny »

GrapeLover wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:19 pm

She does actually state that she is attempting to transmit DI at every teaching, including the public Q&As etc
She’s not my cup of tea. All the best.
Pero

Post by Pero »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:34 pm
Not necessarily.
How so?
- Shabkar

Return to “Dzogchen”