Whats the most important concept to start with to atleast get Stream Entry?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
RiceCake

Whats the most important concept to start with to atleast get Stream Entry?

Post by RiceCake »

Evening again,

Since i recently got started in Buddhism, i been reading alot lately, but i just got the sudden need to slow down.
I have a bad habit of jumping into things and trying to absorb so many of the advanced concepts first, and i need to stop that.

That being said, i feel like I've overloaded myself with so many concepts and i realize i need to just keep it simple with a set foundation.

So i want to know: what exactly is the first, most fundamental concept i need to realize first if i atleast want to reach the first stage of awakening in this life?
Thanks again!
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Whats the most important concept to start with to atleast get Stream Entry?

Post by Grigoris »

Refuge. Without Refuge you cannot have Buddhism.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

no concept
Natan

Post by Natan »

Four immeasurables
RiceCake

Post by RiceCake »

Thank you all!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

NateLeo wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:40 am So i want to know: what exactly is the first, most fundamental concept i need to realize first if i atleast want to reach the first stage of awakening in this life?
Find a teacher who can show you your real nature.
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

see what comes your way...online thing is the worse...especially to start off ...be with real people...Buddhism if nothing else is a community...online aspect should come later on .....especially this sort of dog eat dog medium..
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Minobu wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:46 pm see what comes your way...online thing is the worse...especially to start off ...be with real people...Buddhism if nothing else is a community...online aspect should come later on .....especially this sort of dog eat dog medium..
I agree with this one especially the part that online should come later.

What I find interesting and want to know is how people decide to become buddhist? Like if it isn’t people they know making them convert, and if is it just people become Buddhist because they saw something on the internet then we should either step up and do a better job introducing our friends and/or really learn how to use internet to spread buddhism
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:41 pm
Minobu wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:46 pm see what comes your way...online thing is the worse...especially to start off ...be with real people...Buddhism if nothing else is a community...online aspect should come later on .....especially this sort of dog eat dog medium..
I agree with this one especially the part that online should come later.

What I find interesting and want to know is how people decide to become buddhist? Like if it isn’t people they know making them convert, and if is it just people become Buddhist because they saw something on the internet then we should either step up and do a better job introducing our friends and/or really learn how to use internet to spread buddhism
I stumbled onto a thread somewhere on the internet about chanting and the lotus sutra.

Had I been exposed to buddhists over my lifetime? Yes. Had I been introduced to buddhism? No. I needed to do some work first lol.

:anjali:
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:30 pm
NateLeo wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:40 am So i want to know: what exactly is the first, most fundamental concept i need to realize first if i atleast want to reach the first stage of awakening in this life?
This, don't waste time on concepts for too long, just get to the meat.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
RiceCake

Post by RiceCake »

who are great teachers accepting students at this time?
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

NateLeo wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:06 am
Find a teacher that speaks to you and start examining their teachings, there are a number. I don't know you so it's hard to make a recommendation. These days, obviously Zoom and Youtube are probably good places to start. You can't realize concepts, they are just concepts and can't be anything else. Stick to the people who have verifiable credentials and can be easily vetted I would say, at least to start. There are others here and there that are more "mavericky" in the Buddhist world who have good stuff to teach, but playing it safe is most definitely the best policy.

-Khunu Lama
RiceCake

Post by RiceCake »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:18 am

Find a teacher that speaks to you and start examining their teachings, there are a number. I don't know you so it's hard to make a recommendation. These days, obviously Zoom and Youtube are probably good places to start. You can't realize concepts, they are just concepts and can't be anything else. Stick to the people who have verifiable credentials and can be easily vetted I would say, at least to start. There are others here and there that are more "mavericky" in the Buddhist world who have good stuff to teach, but playing it safe is most definitely the best policy.
Hey, im in the US on the east coast. the Tibetan/Dzogchen teachings tend to resonate with me the most, so if you know any teachers along those lines in America, i'll gladly contact.

My thing is i prefer personal recommendations. Ive heard bad things about a few teachers who abused students, so i'd much rather get a recommendation from a site like this with people (like you) who know their shit and have good character.
irwanpr

Post by irwanpr »

One can find such teachers in the internet i.e. search youtube for "dzogchen instruction" and find detailed video instruction from Dudjom Rinpoche and Alan Watts among others. Or search for "dzogchen pointing out" and find video from Tulku Orgyen Rinpoche. Practice these instruction at home and familiarize the nature of mind is fun, relaxing and liberating
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

NateLeo wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:45 am
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:18 am

Hey, im in the US on the east coast. the Tibetan/Dzogchen teachings tend to resonate with me the most, so if you know any teachers along those lines in America, i'll gladly contact.

My thing is i prefer personal recommendations. Ive heard bad things about a few teachers who abused students, so i'd much rather get a recommendation from a site like this with people (like you) who know their shit and have good character.

Ok, if you want my personal opinion sure:

As far as Dzogchen goes, read everything you can by Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche. Los of his teachings are still available and they are gold, they are utterly unlike anything else in my (biased) opinion, and we are lucky to still have his words accessible.

Other than that these are the people who have benefited me a lot wrt to Dzogchen:

Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche
Orygen Chowang Rinpoche
B. Allan Wallace

Mingyur Rinpoche and Tsokni Rinpoche are also well worth listening to.

As far as the personal part, you just start by listening to people and developing faith in the teachings by practicing them, don't try to force personal relationships. My deepest personal Dharma relationships did not come about through forced effort, and I think trying to force them is probably a bad idea, though I'm sure plenty would disagree.

-Khunu Lama
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Make sure you wear rubber boots so your feet don’t get wet. If it is a deep stream, go with a friend. If you can’t swim, wear a floatation vest.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

REFUGE!
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:06 am 5 precepts
A code of conduct does not really mean much on its own, without the right view. A muslim (or whoever else) may also be upholding the five precepts, does that mean he will be a stream entrant?

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”