Unconsecrated thangkas

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
LhakpaT

Unconsecrated thangkas

Post by LhakpaT »

I have heard that unfilled statues are a no-no for shrines, but what about hanging unconsecrated thangkas? I mean, ones without the three syllables at the back? Is it OK to hang them above shrines until such time as they can be consecrated?

Are consecrations different from blessings?

And does a consecration have to be done by the artist or by a lama, or can the owner do it?

Thanks everyone!
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Unconsecrated thangkas

Post by Grigoris »

LhakpaT wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:15 pm I have heard that unfilled statues are a no-no for shrines, but what about hanging unconsecrated thangkas? I mean, ones without the three syllables at the back? Is it OK to hang them above shrines until such time as they can be consecrated?

Are consecrations different from blessings?

And does a consecration have to be done by the artist or by a lama, or can the owner do it?

Thanks everyone!
I have unfilled statues and unconsecrated thangka in my shrine room and my world has not shattered yet...
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
LhakpaT

Post by LhakpaT »

Good to know :D

Like I said I'd heard that but wasn't sure if it was true or one of those things that become common knowledge through repetition.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

I mean, probably best to get it consecrated and or filled. But Jigten Sumgon mentioned that if one develops a true love for all beings and looks at artefact to be empowered then it gets empowered.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Generally it is Lamas who consecrate thangkas and statues. You have to have some power, such as from completing the Three Roots. However, if you have the power even though you are not officially a Lama, give it a try.

Best to get thangkas and statues consecrated. When they are consecrated, the merit of practicing in front of them (praying, prostrating, offerings, etc.) is the same as practicing in front of the Deity. In fact, when the rupa is consecrated, it doesn't depict the Deity; it is the Deity.

Practicing in front of unconsecrated rupas probably doesn't create anything in the way of negativity. It just doesn't get the same pay-back. So it's a matter of efficiency.

Good luck & best wishes.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:51 pm I mean, probably best to get it consecrated and or filled. But Jigten Sumgon mentioned that if one develops a true love for all beings and looks at artefact to be empowered then it gets empowered.
:anjali:

Love to hear more of what you know about Jigten Sumgon should start a thread for it.
Danny

Post by Danny »

The idea is its a support, in a simple nut shell, your asking through concecration for the yidam to remain as part of that object. If your not comfortable doing that yourself it's best to ask a lama to do that. He she will probably do that with other objects at one time, so you might have to wait.

Regards
Danny

Post by Danny »

Once I offered a object that was personal to me. I was surprised to discover that they had placed it on temple shrine. Later they offered me some Chullen pills from their private stash. We sat and popped them like eating popcorn. Pretty cool trade.
If I said whom that was I would just sound like a bragging jerk.

Lol

Regards
Toenail

Post by Toenail »

If you are a pracitioner you can do it yourself with visualization and "Om ye dharma hetu.." 3 times. Many tsogtexts etc will have a part of asking the deities to remain in supports present after the ritual. There are also many short prayers on the internet on sites just like lotsawahouse etc. This is your life, your practice etc. We are striving for enlightenment for all sentient beings, most of us took vows etc. It is appropriate to have some confidence in our practice.

That said, there is much merit in asking Lamas and Dharma Centers etc to consecrate Thangkas and Statues. I just did that with a Tara Thangka last week, that I gifted to my father. It creates much merit, you support the Sangha and so on. If there are unconsecrated Thangkas or Stupas in your shrine rooms, I would definetly empower them or have them empowered. It is an opportunity to perfect the two accumulations so why miss out on it.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I once asked a lama to consecrate/bless a mala for me and they told me that the best way to bless a mala is to use it for practice.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Terma

Post by Terma »

Toenail wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:47 am If you are a pracitioner you can do it yourself with visualization and "Om ye dharma hetu.." 3 times. Many tsogtexts etc will have a part of asking the deities to remain in supports present after the ritual. There are also many short prayers on the internet on sites just like lotsawahouse etc. This is your life, your practice etc. We are striving for enlightenment for all sentient beings, most of us took vows etc. It is appropriate to have some confidence in our practice.

That said, there is much merit in asking Lamas and Dharma Centers etc to consecrate Thangkas and Statues. I just did that with a Tara Thangka last week, that I gifted to my father. It creates much merit, you support the Sangha and so on. If there are unconsecrated Thangkas or Stupas in your shrine rooms, I would definetly empower them or have them empowered. It is an opportunity to perfect the two accumulations so why miss out on it.
First if all, I am not saying that what you have posted is incorrect, after all if this is what your own Guru has told you, then it certainly should be good enough for you.

However, I have been taught just the opposite and my own guru has instructed us that it is important to have ritual items, rupa's, etc. Consecrated by a realized master. In my case, I have a nice Rupa that has not been consecrated or filled, etc., So instead I am using a image of my yidam that was consecrated by my own Guru. I was told that this holds more blessings than a very nice Rupa that has not been consecrated.

I also actually came across this in a text I was reading just recently so hopefully over the course if my work day I can find it and post it here.

But once again, I think when it comes to Vajrayana, for each of us what our own personal guru says is the best answer for us specifically despite what others may think.
tobes

Post by tobes »

Yes, of course it is better to be consecrated than not.

But: we have to be very careful of thinking that Buddhas, yidams etc are inaccessible to us; if you're a sincere practitioner, you should have confidence that whoever you call for/invoke/arise as comes without any obstruction. And if they can appear for you, why would they not also be manifest in the appearance of the thangka?

Some confidence is needed here.

Also, well before the path of seeing, Buddha rupas etc appear as real Buddhas to the yogi/ni. And even the most beginning practitioner who has taken refuge, has vowed to see/treat all representations of the Buddha as real.

Let's not set up any more walls between you and this enlightened play.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Dharma objects are quite magical. Their manifestation in this realm is already a blessing. Often obtaining one takes incredible sacrifice. There are merely consecrated and more consecrated images IMO. It is not much talked about but owning dharma objects and how you treat them can change your life.
tobes

Post by tobes »

Nemo wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:58 am Dharma objects are quite magical. Their manifestation in this realm is already a blessing. Often obtaining one takes incredible sacrifice. There are merely consecrated and more consecrated images IMO. It is not much talked about but owning dharma objects and how you treat them can change your life.
:good:

To even fold your arms in front of them is a great, great blessing and not to be underestimated....
jake5521

Post by jake5521 »

I think nothing is set in stone like that, just use your heart and listen to it on what is right. Definitely try to get them consecrated if you can, but remember that once it is consecrated to not mess around in front of them and to keep respectful. Otherwise just listen to your teacher, that is the best!
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Danny wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:20 amOnce I offered a object that was personal to me. I was surprised to discover that they had placed it on temple shrine. Later they offered me some Chullen pills from their private stash. We sat and popped them like eating popcorn. Pretty cool trade.
I know the feeling your talking about. Many years ago a friend and I bought a statue for one of teachers. I don’t make it to that temple very much anymore, and even when I’m in the area I may not make it to go, but whenever I do go, I’m always very happy to see the statue there on the shrine.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”