Small Sang Offering in a Flat

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Small Sang Offering in a Flat

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Hi,

due to many crises and general problems and conflicts, I would like to try offering sang at my home. However, I live in a flat on the 1st floor. Is there some way to offer small sang? I have just watched a video by Hun Lye and it seems possible. Does anybody else have any suggestions? My main deal is basically that I would hate to bother people too much, however at the same time a small amount of juniper smoke might not hurt right?

“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Malcolm

Re: Small Sang Offering in a Flat

Post by Malcolm »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:02 am Hi,

due to many crises and general problems and conflicts, I would like to try offering sang at my home. However, I live in a flat on the 1st floor. Is there some way to offer small sang? I have just watched a video by Hun Lye and it seems possible. Does anybody else have any suggestions? My main deal is basically that I would hate to bother people too much, however at the same time a small amount of juniper smoke might not hurt right?

You can use a small amount of juniper, or even just regular incense
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Malcolm wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:12 am
Könchok Thrinley wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:02 am Hi,

You can use a small amount of juniper, or even just regular incense
Should it be done with a completely open window or is partially okay? My main problem is whether it can be done indoors or the incense holder has to be outside.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:10 pm Should it be done with a completely open window or is partially okay? My main problem is whether it can be done indoors or the incense holder has to be outside.
hi miroku, it can be done in a partially open space. just open window, that's fine since we use visualizations.

an incense stick, i remember, can be used, but those that are made to be used in outer tantra practices.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:07 pm
Könchok Thrinley wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:10 pm Should it be done with a completely open window or is partially okay? My main problem is whether it can be done indoors or the incense holder has to be outside.
hi miroku, it can be done in a partially open space. just open window, that's fine since we use visualizations.

an incense stick, i remember, can be used, but those that are made to be used in outer tantra practices.
Hey, thanks Javier! :twothumbsup:

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

You can find juniper and cedar incense sticks and cones online to make life simpler.

It is a good idea for (at least some of) the smoke to get outside.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Grigoris wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:56 pm You can find juniper and cedar incense sticks and cones online to make life simpler.

It is a good idea for (at least some of) the smoke to get outside.
Thanks Greg! Do you think juniper would be enough for the beginning, or is it important to have special mix?

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Chime Rinpoche when asked by someone who lived with an asthmatic husband who reacted badly to smoke, said that Juniper oil on a cotton swab would do just fine.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:45 pmThanks Greg! Do you think juniper would be enough for the beginning, or is it important to have special mix?
I believe that something, even burning normal stinky old joss sticks from the local Chinese grocery shop, is better than nothing.

When you are "hungry", an offering of bad food is better than no food. In most cases, the beings in modern western urban cities rarely (if ever) get any offerings, so...

Here in Greece, older Christian folks burn pure resins as offerings outdoors, so the ante is upped. :smile:
greek orthodox incense offering.jpg
greek orthodox incense offering.jpg (17.15 KiB) Viewed 3462 times
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

:twothumbsup: Sounds about right. Thanks guys.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Simon E. wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:53 pm Chime Rinpoche when asked by someone who lived with an asthmatic husband who reacted badly to smoke, said that Juniper oil on a cotton swab would do just fine.
:good:

As Malcolm has stated elsewhere, we are really purifying our transgressions to the environment rather than the belief that our vast or humble quantities of smoke somehow purifiy the outer environment. That's not to say that smoke cannot be empowered to do just that with enough skill and Samadhi, but the main point is our visualization, compassion, offering and so on.

I've always suspected essential oils as offering would be fine. If anything they are purer, or more 'nyingthig' forms of the aromas usually offered as part of the burning sang substances. I'm fairly sure they can also benefit our subtle body and channels too, pacifying our personal dimension.

It's nice to see Chime Rinpoche confirm that working with circumstances is fine.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Chime R is pretty traditional...but he is a traditional pragmatist.

Without wanting to stir a pot of different hue, he was asked once what he recommended as a diet for someone on a seven day home retreat “ A daily delivery of burgers with some salad “ he replied. “ you dont need to worry about it then”. :smile:

Terma

Post by Terma »

Vasana wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:55 am
It's nice to see Chime Rinpoche confirm that working with circumstances is fine.
It is great. While most of our teachers are pretty traditional, I think they realize that we just don't have the same circumstances here in the West.

Another example,

I asked one Lama about disposing of torma's from daily practice. I explained that if I simply put them outside then it would most likely attract animals which would make the neighbors upset and even if I tried to explain, then this could result in having a negative view, etc. The Lama said that my thinking was correct, as what is the point of we are causing suffering for others?

He simply said "Then throw them in the garbage. You have already offered them, they are not yours anymore."

Most often then not, when we get a little hung up on the rights and wrongs of practice, our teachers can really simplify and make sense of it for us.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Yup.

jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:47 pm :twothumbsup: Sounds about right. Thanks guys.
hey, check this. is great great material. it's a 6 short videos loop, i have seen it and i really enjoyed it. very concise and direct.

this is the first one.
"Khandro Kunzang explains the principles and practices of making incense offerings, called 'sang chod,' in Tibetan. This 6-part teaching from the first day of a two-day seminar held at Phubra Thinley Ling, in Lansing, Iowa, was given in July 2017. "

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

one of Mingyur Rinpoche’s temples in the USA will do a live stream of the smoke offering for people who want to watch.

3/27
6pm & 9pm us west coast time.
The website has the info
https://www.tergarmingjue.org/smoke-puja.html

The text is in English -
https://www.tergarmingjue.org/uploads/3 ... 16-hna.pdf
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:55 pmhey, check this. is great great material. it's a 6 short videos loop, i have seen it and i really enjoyed it. very concise and direct.
It is great.
In the video, she said that the word 'sang' is pure and that it is the same 'sang' as 'sangey' like buddha. Is it this true?
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:32 am
javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:55 pmhey, check this. is great great material. it's a 6 short videos loop, i have seen it and i really enjoyed it. very concise and direct.
It is great.
In the video, she said that the word 'sang' is pure and that it is the same 'sang' as 'sangey' like buddha. Is it this true?
i really don't know really, i'm not proficient in tibetan language.

LhakpaT

Post by LhakpaT »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:32 am
It is great.
I believe the former is "bsang" བསང་while the latter is "sangs" སངས་, I don't know how they are related? Would be interesting to hear from a Tibetan expert :)
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

LhakpaT wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:13 pm I believe the former is "bsang" བསང་while the latter is "sangs" སངས་, I don't know how they are related? Would be interesting to hear from a Tibetan expert :)
སངས་ means to purify and བསང་ is the future tense of the verb སངས་ I think because sang puja purifies obstacles so that's why future tense is used.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”