No new Nyingma head!

Punya

No new Nyingma head!

Post by Punya »

Posted by Shechen Monastery:

Major changes in selecting Nyingma head:

The system of selecting the head figure for Nyingma School has been discontinued. The core members of International Nyingma Monlam Foundation and heads of all major Nyingma Monasteries did thorough discussion regarding this matter and unanimously decided it during the 31st Nyingma Monlam in Bodh Gaya, India today. International Nyingma Monlam Foundation will be the General Headquarter of entire Nyingma School.

An understandable change. From what I know this system was created after 1959.
Attachments
ea390bf2cda514841db30f876e3f8ece.jpg
ea390bf2cda514841db30f876e3f8ece.jpg (21.31 KiB) Viewed 5971 times
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Mantrik
Former staff member

Re: No new Nyingma head!

Post by Mantrik »

Does this mean no new head after Dzogchen Rinpoche or did he turn it down last January?

The story from several websites, this version from Buddhistdoor:

''Dzogchen Rinpoche Jigme Losel Wangpo has been selected as the eighth head of the Nyingma school of Tibetan Buddhism. The Seventh Dzogchen Rinpoche was appointed to the position on 15 January by the heads of the principal monasteries of the Nyingma tradition, during the 30th Nyingma Monlam in Bodh Gaya, India.

Dzogchen Rinpoche will succeed His Holiness the Kathok Getse Rinpoche Gyurme Tenpa Gyaltsen after his sudden passing in November last year.*

The 54-year-old principal holder of the Dzogchen lineage has yet to accept the position as he was not present at the annual Nyingma prayer gathering in Bodh Gaya. ''
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Dzogchen Ponlop turned down the position.
{English Translation}

Notice

Concerning the appointment of a new Head of the Nyingma Tradition.

At the annual Nyingma Prayer Festival Nyingma Monlam held at the sacred site of Bodhgaya, India, on the 8th day of 12th month of the lunar calendar, a meeting of the Nyingma Monlam Organization Committee and other important persons connected to the Nyingma Lineage was held to discuss the Head of the Nyingma Tradition. Previously, from the appointment of Kyabje Dudom Rinpoche up through to Kyabje Taklung Tsetrul Rinpoche, the position of Head of the Nyingma Tradition was held be a distinguished line of high lamas who brought great benefit to the general and specific welfare of sentient beings and the teachings of Buddha.

Subsequently, in 2018, at the twenty-ninth Nyingma Monlam, it was decided the title of head of the Nyingma tradition should be shared between the six-major Nyingma Monasteries in this order: Kathok, Dzogchen, Shechen, Mindroling, Dorje Drak, and Palyul; with a senior Lama from each monastery holding the position for three years.

As par this decision, a request was made of Kyabje Kathok Getse Rinpoche to assume the role of head of the Nyingma Tradition, which he graciously accepted. However, due to the nature of the times and dwindling fortune and merit of beings, Kyabje Rinpoche passed away without completing his tenure. The title then passed to Kyabje Dzogchen Rinpoche who declined to accept it.

This year, 2020, at the thirty-first Nyingma Monlam, repeated requests were made of Kyabje Shechen Rabjam Rinpoche to accept the position of Head of the Nyingma Tradition. Kyabje Shechen Rabjam Rinpoche replied that in his opinion there is a danger that with the insistence of a continued appointment of a ‘head of the tradition’ there comes a danger that it may bring more harm than benefit to the Nyingma lineage. Kyabje Rinpoche went on to suggest there isn’t a need to appoint a Head of Tradition, but rather, seeing as the Nyingma Monlam involves all Nyingmapa organisations, and as the appointed head of the Nyingma Monlam Committee is already engaged in virtuous activities for the benefit of beings and the teaching of the Buddha, it would be adventitious if they would also assume the duties previously undertaken by the Lineage Head.

It has been decided to implement the suggestions of Kyabje Shechen Rabjam Rinpoche, and from now on the organisation committee of the Nyingma Monlam, in addition to its work and commitment to the welfare of beings and the teaching of Buddha, will take the responsibility to continually select and request high lamas and responsible individuals from the various Nyingma Institutions to lead the Monlam Committee and act in accordance with the above.

Nyingma Monlam Committee
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Vasana wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:48 pm Dzogchen Ponlop turned down the position.
{English Translation}

Notice

Concerning the appointment of a new Head of the Nyingma Tradition.

At the annual Nyingma Prayer Festival Nyingma Monlam held at the sacred site of Bodhgaya, India, on the 8th day of 12th month of the lunar calendar, a meeting of the Nyingma Monlam Organization Committee and other important persons connected to the Nyingma Lineage was held to discuss the Head of the Nyingma Tradition. Previously, from the appointment of Kyabje Dudom Rinpoche up through to Kyabje Taklung Tsetrul Rinpoche, the position of Head of the Nyingma Tradition was held be a distinguished line of high lamas who brought great benefit to the general and specific welfare of sentient beings and the teachings of Buddha.

Subsequently, in 2018, at the twenty-ninth Nyingma Monlam, it was decided the title of head of the Nyingma tradition should be shared between the six-major Nyingma Monasteries in this order: Kathok, Dzogchen, Shechen, Mindroling, Dorje Drak, and Palyul; with a senior Lama from each monastery holding the position for three years.

As par this decision, a request was made of Kyabje Kathok Getse Rinpoche to assume the role of head of the Nyingma Tradition, which he graciously accepted. However, due to the nature of the times and dwindling fortune and merit of beings, Kyabje Rinpoche passed away without completing his tenure. The title then passed to Kyabje Dzogchen Rinpoche who declined to accept it.

This year, 2020, at the thirty-first Nyingma Monlam, repeated requests were made of Kyabje Shechen Rabjam Rinpoche to accept the position of Head of the Nyingma Tradition. Kyabje Shechen Rabjam Rinpoche replied that in his opinion there is a danger that with the insistence of a continued appointment of a ‘head of the tradition’ there comes a danger that it may bring more harm than benefit to the Nyingma lineage. Kyabje Rinpoche went on to suggest there isn’t a need to appoint a Head of Tradition, but rather, seeing as the Nyingma Monlam involves all Nyingmapa organisations, and as the appointed head of the Nyingma Monlam Committee is already engaged in virtuous activities for the benefit of beings and the teaching of the Buddha, it would be adventitious if they would also assume the duties previously undertaken by the Lineage Head.

It has been decided to implement the suggestions of Kyabje Shechen Rabjam Rinpoche, and from now on the organisation committee of the Nyingma Monlam, in addition to its work and commitment to the welfare of beings and the teaching of Buddha, will take the responsibility to continually select and request high lamas and responsible individuals from the various Nyingma Institutions to lead the Monlam Committee and act in accordance with the above.

Nyingma Monlam Committee
Ah, I see. I was not aware that Dzogchen Rinpoche was also referred to as Kyabje Dzogchen Rinpoche, but I am sure he isn't Ponlop, who is a different person. I'm easily confused. lol :)
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Greg

Post by Greg »

I mean, I guess they realized it is like signing up to be the drummer in Spinal Tap.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Greg wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:02 pm I mean, I guess they realized it is like signing up to be the drummer in Spinal Tap.
:jumping:
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Greg wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:02 pm I mean, I guess they realized it is like signing up to be the drummer in Spinal Tap.
:applause:
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

From DKR

Shaun :anjali:
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Too soon :D

Hierarchy is incredibly dangerous. Other than times of crisis it should be avoided like poison. Everything from slavery to environmental destruction depends on illegitimate hierarchies.
justsit

Post by justsit »

Nemo wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:00 pm Hierarchy is incredibly dangerous. Other than times of crisis it should be avoided like poison. Everything from slavery to environmental destruction depends on illegitimate hierarchies.
Is there a difference between a hierarchy and an illegitimate hierarchy?
DewachenVagabond

Post by DewachenVagabond »

justsit wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:02 pm
Nemo wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:00 pm Hierarchy is incredibly dangerous. Other than times of crisis it should be avoided like poison. Everything from slavery to environmental destruction depends on illegitimate hierarchies.
A justified hierarchy is basically one that serves a purpose and is non-exploitative. An easy example is that of a child and a loving parent. If a parent pulls a child out of oncoming traffic, that is an example of a parent exercising legitimate authority within a justified hierarchy. But if the situation were the child makes some mistake, maybe forgets to turn in homework, and the parent vicously beats the child, then the parent no longer is part of a justified hierarchy.

In this situation, the head of the Nyingma school was mostly a figurehead (at least within that specific role; obviously as a head of a monastery they are not simply a figurehead) or symbol to keep the Nyingma school from disappearing. It seems that it has been decided that the figurehead is no longer necessary, but rather that other methods will better promote the strength and growth of the Nyingma school.
:bow: :buddha1: :bow: :anjali: :meditate:
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

SonamTashi wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:17 pm
justsit wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:02 pm
A justified hierarchy is basically one that serves a purpose and is non-exploitative. An easy example is that of a child and a loving parent. If a parent pulls a child out of oncoming traffic, that is an example of a parent exercising legitimate authority within a justified hierarchy. But if the situation were the child makes some mistake, maybe forgets to turn in homework, and the parent vicously beats the child, then the parent no longer is part of a justified hierarchy.

In this situation, the head of the Nyingma school was mostly a figurehead (at least within that specific role; obviously as a head of a monastery they are not simply a figurehead) or symbol to keep the Nyingma school from disappearing. It seems that it has been decided that the figurehead is no longer necessary, but rather that other methods will better promote the strength and growth of the Nyingma school.
For hierarchies not to be hijacked or abused they need a time limit. They inevitably calcify and become worse than the problem they were created to overcome. Catholic priests or the OSI morphing into the CIA are perfect examples.
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

Good one :rolling:
Jangchub Dorje

Post by Jangchub Dorje »

Great news.
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

The position was created (together with the other "heads") because one certain sect, after the Chinese takeover, decided that Tibetan Buddhism should present a united front (under their own auspices, of course). That particular danger seems to have passed.
Natan

Post by Natan »

The reason for this is the inauspicious way this guy died after accepting the title: His Holiness the Kathok Getse Rinpoche Gyurme Tenpa Gyaltsen. Folks should research this story bc it will open your eyes to the these guys think. It's a magical realism true story and it is a brain twister. Enfim Nyingma ain't like the other lineages and the dakinis or the nagas or demons or all of them on the same team don't want too much organization or leadership. And you will die if you mess with that.
hornet

Post by hornet »

Hi

Just a reminder how it was not so long ago...

Biography of Dudjom Rinpoche on Youtube

pema tsultrim

Post by pema tsultrim »

I noticed years ago, after HHDR, HHDKR and HHPR, who each, held the position of head of the Nyingma school for a long time, there was a very rapid succession of Nyingma heads, who only held the position for a year or so each, it seems. Some even less time: HH Minling Trichen, HH Trulshik Rinpoche, HH Taklung Tsetrul Rinpoche, and HH Kathog Getse Rinpoche.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Crazywisdom wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:33 pm The reason for this is the inauspicious way this guy died after accepting the title: His Holiness the Kathok Getse Rinpoche Gyurme Tenpa Gyaltsen. Folks should research this story bc it will open your eyes to the these guys think. It's a magical realism true story and it is a brain twister. Enfim Nyingma ain't like the other lineages and the dakinis or the nagas or demons or all of them on the same team don't want too much organization or leadership. And you will die if you mess with that.
Yeah I kinda think the same. The way His Holiness left us was quite sudden and inauspicious.

Also, glad to see you back, man! :thumbsup: I missed you.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Natan

Post by Natan »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:20 pm
Crazywisdom wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:33 pm The reason for this is the inauspicious way this guy died after accepting the title: His Holiness the Kathok Getse Rinpoche Gyurme Tenpa Gyaltsen. Folks should research this story bc it will open your eyes to the these guys think. It's a magical realism true story and it is a brain twister. Enfim Nyingma ain't like the other lineages and the dakinis or the nagas or demons or all of them on the same team don't want too much organization or leadership. And you will die if you mess with that.
Yeah I kinda think the same. The way His Holiness left us was quite sudden and inauspicious.

Also, glad to see you back, man! :thumbsup: I missed you.
Thank you...

Return to “Nyingma”