Rigpa and Alayavijnana

the.eleven

Re: Rigpa and Alayavijnana

Post by the.eleven »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:27 pm The all-basis, (kun gzhi, ālaya), is just ignorance; it is the Dzogchen term for what in other systems is called "the knowledge obscuration." This is why in the text called Stainless Space in the Lama Yang Tig, the mind, aka all-basis, is called "an obscuration to be abandoned."

It is distinct from the basis (gzhi, sthāna), which is never contaminated by ignorance.
This is very clear. Thanks!
Lukeinaz

Post by Lukeinaz »

the.eleven wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:41 am Malcom, from the perspective of the Heart Essence presentation, there does not seem to be much focus on the alaya, or "basis of all," while in the lower yanas and yogacara, it is given greater significance. Why is the concept of the "alaya" less discussed within mengagde teachings?

One Western teacher uses the word "substrate" to reference "alaya," and further states that one must first achieve shamatha before the practitioner can break through this substrate to abide in rigpa. This seems to differ from other presentations of the path of trekchö, and it feels like a conflation with first wheel teachings. Could you comment on this?
Not exactly what he has said.

What he has said very clearly is that nirvana can never come from the alaya. Which makes sense to me, because how could nirvana arise from a product of ignorance?
the.eleven

Post by the.eleven »

I wasn't paraphrasing anything Malcom wrote, nor offering critique.

Could you please clarify what you are referring to in your comment?
Lukeinaz

Post by Lukeinaz »

the.eleven wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:58 pm I wasn't paraphrasing anything Malcom wrote, nor offering critique.

Could you please clarify what you are referring to in your comment?
Sorry for not being more clear.

It is commonly known that all of samsara and nirvana arise frim the alaya. I was referring to the western teacher you speak of not Malcom.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Lukeinaz wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:51 pm
the.eleven wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:41 am Malcom, from the perspective of the Heart Essence presentation, there does not seem to be much focus on the alaya, or "basis of all," while in the lower yanas and yogacara, it is given greater significance. Why is the concept of the "alaya" less discussed within mengagde teachings?

One Western teacher uses the word "substrate" to reference "alaya," and further states that one must first achieve shamatha before the practitioner can break through this substrate to abide in rigpa. This seems to differ from other presentations of the path of trekchö, and it feels like a conflation with first wheel teachings. Could you comment on this?

What he has said very clearly is that nirvana can never come from the alaya. Which makes sense to me, because how could nirvana arise from a product of ignorance?

It's not really even that close to what he says that I know of- if it's BAW we're talking about. What he says is that the Jhanas are not necessary but that achieving the first one/Shamatha really helps in terms of Dzogchen. Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but if people are going to criticize they should probably be more specific, and I don't think its that controversial of a position either..
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Thank you guys for the responses and then the follow up discussions.
I clearly need to learn more to understand most of what was discussed above!
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
jake5521

Post by jake5521 »

I have heard some pretty good explanations from Lama Jigme Rinpoche on alaya consciousness. Thanks for the other posts too, great to read.

Lama Jigme Rinpoche
https://padmarigdzinling.org/
Josef

Post by Josef »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:57 am

It's not really even that close to what he says that I know of- if it's BAW we're talking about. What he says is that the Jhanas are not necessary but that achieving the first one/Shamatha really helps in terms of Dzogchen. Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but if people are going to criticize they should probably be more specific, and I don't think its that controversial of a position either..
Since shamatha is basically one of the four yogas of semde this position that it is helpful makes sense. BAW gets criticized legitimately when this is presented as a prerequisite for practicing Dzogchen.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Josef wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:41 pm

Since shamatha is basically one of the four yogas of semde this position that it is helpful makes sense. BAW gets criticized legitimately when this is presented as a prerequisite for practicing Dzogchen.
Where does he actually do that? And how are you differentiating "helpful" from "necessary" here? Factually, there are all kinds of Dzogchen instruction manuals that start out with a very basic experience of Shamatha as a prerequisite (often talking about the signs once one is sufficient), and plenty of semde teachings use Shamatha as the vehicle for introduction and contemplation.

So to make such a criticism, we need to be specific, or it actually is not legitimate because it is too vague a criticism to mean anything.

-Khunu Lama
DewachenVagabond

Post by DewachenVagabond »

jake5521 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:40 pm I have heard some pretty good explanations from Lama Jigme Rinpoche on alaya consciousness. Thanks for the other posts too, great to read.

Lama Jigme Rinpoche
https://padmarigdzinling.org/
Is this lama legit? The only place I can find information about him is on his website and the website for the Lohan Spiritual and Cultural Center in Las Vegas. Given that it is fairly close to me I was considering checking it out, but I don't want to waste my time if he isn't legitimate. Some of the services he offers seem a little strange for a Tibetan Buddhist. For example, the Feng Shui counselling.
:bow: :buddha1: :bow: :anjali: :meditate:
nagpo

Post by nagpo »

But how do you directly experience alayavijnana? How Can you percieve or dustinguish it experientially? How is lungmaten related with that?
Josef

Post by Josef »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:47 pm

Where does he actually do that? And how are you differentiating "helpful" from "necessary" here? Factually, there are all kinds of Dzogchen instruction manuals that start out with a very basic experience of Shamatha as a prerequisite (often talking about the signs once one is sufficient), and plenty of semde teachings use Shamatha as the vehicle for introduction and contemplation.

So to make such a criticism, we need to be specific, or it actually is not legitimate because it is too vague a criticism to mean anything.
He does this is Stilling the Mind. It actually made the book somewhat problematic.
Shamatha is always helpful, it is by no means a necessary pre-requisite to Dzogchen since it is accomplished via Dzogchen practice.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

nagpo wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:02 pm But how do you directly experience alayavijnana? How Can you percieve or dustinguish it experientially? How is lungmaten related with that?
One can’t.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Josef wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:50 pm

He does this is Stilling the Mind. It actually made the book somewhat problematic.
Shamatha is always helpful, it is by no means a necessary pre-requisite to Dzogchen since it is accomplished via Dzogchen practice.
Can you describe how he does that,like what he actually says vs your interpretation?

-Khunu Lama
Josef

Post by Josef »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:48 pm
Josef wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:50 pm

Can you describe how he does that,like what he actually says vs your interpretation?
I dont have the book in front of me but worked on it's initial publication. During that process this was the challenge with the book. It wasnt only my interpretation, this was the feedback from Nyingma masters that I asked to give the book an endorsement as well.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Still doesn’t tell me what he says that you object to. The reason I ask is that I am taking his Wisdom Experience courses, and what you are saying here is contradictory to what I am getting from them. Might just be me, but given those factors I can’t regard it as valid criticism without more specifics, because so far what I have learned has been in accord with other semde presentations, perhaps with a little extra shamatha cheerleading.

I also think the courses are excellent in general, and quite lucid, so that’s my bias.

-Khunu Lama
Josef

Post by Josef »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:21 pm Still doesn’t tell me what he says that you object to. The reason I ask is that I am taking his Wisdom Experience courses, and what you are saying here is contradictory to what I am getting from them. Might just be me, but given those factors I can’t regard it as valid criticism without more specifics, because so far what I have learned has been in accord with other semde presentations, perhaps with a little extra shamatha cheerleading.

I also think the courses are excellent in general, and quite lucid, so that’s my bias.
Okay, I've merely recounted my experience of working on a book by BAW about a decade ago. The critique was primarily from Nyingma lamas that he was positioning shamatha as a prerequisite for Dzogchen, he may have corrected that error by now.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Josef wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:32 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:21 pm Still doesn’t tell me what he says that you object to. The reason I ask is that I am taking his Wisdom Experience courses, and what you are saying here is contradictory to what I am getting from them. Might just be me, but given those factors I can’t regard it as valid criticism without more specifics, because so far what I have learned has been in accord with other semde presentations, perhaps with a little extra shamatha cheerleading.

Okay, I've merely recounted my experience of working on a book by BAW about a decade ago. The critique was primarily from Nyingma lamas that he was positioning shamatha as a prerequisite for Dzogchen, he may have corrected that error by now.
Fair enough, I should read the book in full, I've only read excerpts.

-Khunu Lama
haha

Post by haha »

nagpo wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:02 pm But how do you directly experience alayavijnana? How Can you percieve or dustinguish it experientially? How is lungmaten related with that?
I have the opinion that experienced teacher can help you to distinguish them. It can be distinguished: one can know this is mind, this is mental factors, this is bhavanga, this is alaya, this is sensation, this is wisdom, this is cessation, etc. There is demarcation to distinguish them.

If one has basic foundation of vipassana whether that is based on Theravadi model or that is based on Vajrayana model. One can read abhidharma and related materials, and then, one can practically apply it for this purpose.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

haha wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:20 am
I have the opinion that experienced teacher can help you to distinguish them. It can be distinguished: one can know this is mind, this is mental factors, this is bhavanga, this is alaya, this is sensation, this is wisdom, this is cessation, etc. There is demarcation to distinguish them.
Your opinion is not shared by Vimalamitra.

Return to “Dzogchen”