I have been offered a management position within my company, but...

bcol01

I have been offered a management position within my company, but...

Post by bcol01 »

I have been offered a management position within my company but today I had to have a conversation with the owner and had to be very frank about an associate.

I had to explain to the owner that this associate is unprofessional and unkind to other associates and customers and is and is affecting the business in a negative way.

I hated having to be honest and blunt but I cannot manage someone who the owner sees no issue with keeping on board. The owner doesn't like to outright fire anybody or have anyone written anyone up. He has all these roundabout ways of passive aggressively cutting their hours and getting them to leave on their own, if they are that problematic, so that he can avoid possible conflict and emotionalism.

In the end, I cannot tell the owner how to run his businesses but, I have to be honest about this stuff and if nothing ever changes, business is going to go downhill.

Problem is, I feel a bit guilty for being so forthright about all of this to the owner. Should I?? Maybe I need to work on allowing myself to be so frank when the time comes.
In his writing, Hokkemongu (Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra), The Great Master Nichiren said, “If the practitioners of the Lotus Sutra wholeheartedly devote their life to the Lotus Sutra and practice according to its golden words, it is certainly needless to say that not only in the next life, but also in this lifetime they will overcome severe difficulty, prolong their life, receive the great, good fortune of unsurpassed enlightenment, and accomplish the great vow of the widespread, propagation of True Buddhism.”
Karma_Yeshe

Re: I have been offered a management position within my company, but...

Post by Karma_Yeshe »

It is hard to judge, when one is not nearby.
The way you explain it sounds about right.

Don't worry too much!
KY
bcol01

Post by bcol01 »

Thank you.
Karma_Yeshe wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:46 pm It is hard to judge, when one is not nearby.
The way you explain it sounds about right.

Don't worry too much!
KY
In his writing, Hokkemongu (Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra), The Great Master Nichiren said, “If the practitioners of the Lotus Sutra wholeheartedly devote their life to the Lotus Sutra and practice according to its golden words, it is certainly needless to say that not only in the next life, but also in this lifetime they will overcome severe difficulty, prolong their life, receive the great, good fortune of unsurpassed enlightenment, and accomplish the great vow of the widespread, propagation of True Buddhism.”
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

If you've been offered a management position its because your company thinks well of you and values your judgment in helping them run the business. Of course you have to be tactful and conform to company culture, but they're implicitly depending on your judgment, and so you should be honest.

Consider Nichiren's counsel - if you offer your counsel to your lord three times and your counsel is rebuffed... withdraw from your position.

:smile:
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,

Return to “Nichiren”