Ya don't say...

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Queequeg
Former staff member

Ya don't say...

Post by Queequeg »

Is what we experience, reality?
Experiments my collaborators and I have performed to test the form of sensory perception that evolution has given us suggest a startling conclusion: it isn’t. It leads to a crazy-sounding conclusion, that we may all be gripped by a collective delusion about the nature of the material world. If that is correct, it could have ramifications across the breadth of science – from how consciousness arises to the nature of quantum weirdness to the …
https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg ... the-world/

The rest of the article is behind a pay wall, but here's a summary...

https://bigthink.com/surprising-science ... belltitem2

"I'm saying let's go all the way: It's consciousness, and only consciousness, all the way down."

Have you met my friend Vasubandhu?

Should we tell them? The next step is... It's been called the 8fold Path, among other things...
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Ya don't say...

Post by Queequeg »

The guy is actually suggesting something pretty heavy. Basically, to look at the brain as the basis of consciousness is error, and that consciousness comes first, and the brain is organized as a function of consciousness. Consciousness is also a function of matter in that consciousness is intrinsic in matter.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

Not convinced Q, aside from the oft-repeated philosophical arguments I dont see evidence that conscious is more significant than say chlorophyll- relatively, a locally important process but how special is unclear. I'm not taking a position on the question personally, just dont know much really.

otoh as soon as someone who is not a quantum mathmetician/physicist starts talking about possibilities of quantum effects then it starts looking a lot like wishful thinking to me.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

narhwal90 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:55 pm Not convinced Q, aside from the oft-repeated philosophical arguments I dont see evidence that conscious is more significant than say chlorophyll- relatively, a locally important process but how special is unclear. I'm not taking a position on the question personally, just dont know much really.

otoh as soon as someone who is not a quantum mathmetician/physicist starts talking about possibilities of quantum effects then it starts looking a lot like wishful thinking to me.
Who's trying to convince anyone?
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

narhwal90 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:55 pm otoh as soon as someone who is not a quantum mathmetician/physicist starts talking about possibilities of quantum effects then it starts looking a lot like wishful thinking to me.
There’s a term for that...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mysticism
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Well, when you put it that way... Anything other than pulling the arrow out of the eye is... :toilet:
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Here, Since this article is behind a paywall, I did a bit of searching and found a TED video by the same author, on the same topic.

Last edited by Jesse on Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

Return to “Lounge”