Karmapa Chenno chanting

tellyontellyon

Karmapa Chenno chanting

Post by tellyontellyon »

Could I ask what are the origins, purpose and benefits of chanting Karmapa Chenno.
Any suggestions on this practice.
Thank you.
"Be melting snow. Wash yourself of yourself."
- Rumi
conebeckham

Re: Karmapa Chenno chanting

Post by conebeckham »

You'll find this mantra mainly in 3 practices--the Kamtsang Ngondro, where it is part of the Guru Yoga, the Thun Shi Lama'i Naljor, which is a sort of guru yoga practice focused on the 8th Karmapa, and also in the guru yoga focusing on the 16th Karmapa, Rangjung Rigpai Dorje.

It means "Karmapa Know Me!" and is a supplication, really, to the Karmapa, who is the fountainhead of the Kamtsang lineage, and the embodiment of the Gurus. Anyone can repeat it, and there are a variety of instructions regarding visualizations, etc., in connection with the mantra, which have to be learned in the context of the practices themselves. But chanting it with devotion and respect is something anyone can do.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

conebeckham wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:47 pm Stuff
:good:
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Lingpupa wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:27 am
:rolling: Hah! That is basically useful anytime Conebeckham posts anything. :lol:
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Punya

Post by Punya »

Miroku wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:48 am
Lingpupa wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:27 am
:rolling: Hah! That is basically useful anytime Conebeckham posts anything. :lol:
+1. :thumbsup:
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

+2...
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

+3

Kevin...
WesleyP

Post by WesleyP »

Thank you for explaining.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

conebeckham wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:47 pm You'll find this mantra mainly in 3 practices--the Kamtsang Ngondro, where it is part of the Guru Yoga, the Thun Shi Lama'i Naljor, which is a sort of guru yoga practice focused on the 8th Karmapa, and also in the guru yoga focusing on the 16th Karmapa, Rangjung Rigpai Dorje.

It means "Karmapa Know Me!" and is a supplication, really, to the Karmapa, who is the fountainhead of the Kamtsang lineage, and the embodiment of the Gurus. Anyone can repeat it, and there are a variety of instructions regarding visualizations, etc., in connection with the mantra, which have to be learned in the context of the practices themselves. But chanting it with devotion and respect is something anyone can do.
I have heard it translated as "heed me".
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Grigoris wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:36 pm
conebeckham wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:47 pm You'll find this mantra mainly in 3 practices--the Kamtsang Ngondro, where it is part of the Guru Yoga, the Thun Shi Lama'i Naljor, which is a sort of guru yoga practice focused on the 8th Karmapa, and also in the guru yoga focusing on the 16th Karmapa, Rangjung Rigpai Dorje.

མཁྱེན་ནོ། literally means “know (me)” but is supplicatory in tone, here. You could translate as “please think of me.” To heed is usually a response to a command...in this case it’s not really a command. However, the language of the supplications found in thun zhi lamai Naljor is actually somewhat rough, demanding, almost desperate in nature, and not polite. So.......it depends on how you say it and the state of your devotional extremity, I suppose!

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

However, the language of the supplications found in thun zhi lamai Naljor is actually somewhat rough, demanding, almost desperate in nature, and not polite. So.......it depends on how you say it and the state of your devotional extremity, I suppose!
I hadn’t heard that. Thanks Cone.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

conebeckham wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:25 pm
Grigoris wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:36 pm

མཁྱེན་ནོ། literally means “know (me)” but is supplicatory in tone, here. You could translate as “please think of me.” To heed is usually a response to a command...in this case it’s not really a command. However, the language of the supplications found in thun zhi lamai Naljor is actually somewhat rough, demanding, almost desperate in nature, and not polite. So.......it depends on how you say it and the state of your devotional extremity, I suppose!
I know that Tai Situ Rinpoche favours ‘please think of me’. And he stresses the imploring tone implied.

Schrödinger’s Yidam

the language of the supplications found in thun zhi lamai Naljor is actually somewhat rough, demanding, almost desperate in nature, and not polite. So.......
I take that as an indication you’re fairly fluent.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I think there are a lot of indications that Cone is very fluent. One of the most reliable guides to the Vajrayana on DW.

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Very kind of you both, but not accurate. I can read Dharma language, sadhanas mostly and "tri" but my vocab and grammar is not strong enough for philosophical texts. I am working on the vocab peculiar to Dzogchen practices lately, but most of my familiarity is with the styles of Kongtrul, Karma Chagme, and Taranatha.....when you read and study a few texts by one author, you'll find the rest of their work is not so difficult. I use dictionaries often, and my teacher translates on the spot, so I take hasty notes.

As for Thun Shi Lamai Naljor, the comments about the tone of the language were comments made to me by my Lama, who pointed out the somewhat "rough" or "imppolite" nature of the supplications....so I am just passing that along.

Karmapa Khyenno!

Schrödinger’s Yidam

Thanks for the correction. You just saved yourself from a bunch of inquiries.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I guess I was meaning fluent in more ways than simply in the Tibetan language.. :smile:

Return to “Kagyu”