Female Buddhas in the texts

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
tonysharp

Female Buddhas in the texts

Post by tonysharp »

Hi everyone,

Which texts feature female Buddhas, or women who attain Buddhahood in their female form?

Your responses would be appreciated.
“It is a perfection that does not aim at completion; rather, it is wisdom based on practice through which one is always progressing toward the ideal.”
Mu Soeng
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Female Buddhas in the texts

Post by Ayu »

Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

More answers about Tara sutras here:

viewtopic.php?t=22712
tonysharp

Post by tonysharp »

Ayu wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:34 am Sutra of Arya Tara

http://www.fpmtabc.org/download/sutra/S ... _fears.pdf

More answers about Tara sutras here:

viewtopic.php?t=22712
Excellent.

Thank you.

:namaste:
“It is a perfection that does not aim at completion; rather, it is wisdom based on practice through which one is always progressing toward the ideal.”
Mu Soeng
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

The Devadatta chapter of the lotus sutra a female achieves instant and perfect enlightenment.

This underlines the central theme of the sutra which is we all have a latent buddha nature that simply (simply does not imply easy) need be realized.
Sentient Light

Post by Sentient Light »

You need to dig into Korean zen lineage texts for this information, but Bodhidharma's master was Prajnatara, who was the Ancestral Master ('Patriarch') of the Sarvastivadin tradition, and is now known to have been a woman. The accounts say she was a manifestation of Mahasthamaprapta Bodhisattva.
:buddha1: Nam mô A di đà Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Quan Thế Âm Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Đại Thế Chi Bồ Tát :bow:

:buddha1: Nam mô Bổn sư Thích ca mâu ni Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Di lặc Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Địa tạng vương Bồ tát :bow:
tonysharp

Post by tonysharp »

tkp67 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:22 pm The Devadatta chapter of the lotus sutra a female achieves instant and perfect enlightenment.
After she transforms into a man endowed with the "thirty-two marks." She's still referred to as "her" afterwards, however.
Sentient Light wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:50 pm You need to dig into Korean zen lineage texts for this information, but Bodhidharma's master was Prajnatara, who was the Ancestral Master ('Patriarch') of the Sarvastivadin tradition, and is now known to have been a woman. The accounts say she was a manifestation of Mahasthamaprapta Bodhisattva.
Interesting.

Thank you both.
Mu Soeng
Motova

Post by Motova »

tonysharp wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:31 pm
tkp67 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:22 pm The Devadatta chapter of the lotus sutra a female achieves instant and perfect enlightenment.
After she transforms into a man endowed with the "thirty-two marks." She's still referred to as "her" afterwards, however.
Sentient Light wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:50 pm You need to dig into Korean zen lineage texts for this information, but Bodhidharma's master was Prajnatara, who was the Ancestral Master ('Patriarch') of the Sarvastivadin tradition, and is now known to have been a woman. The accounts say she was a manifestation of Mahasthamaprapta Bodhisattva.
Interesting.

Thank you both.
I don't think she's a Buddha, but close enough:

https://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?tit ... i_Mahadevi

http://read.84000.co/translation/toh193.html
Sentient Light

Post by Sentient Light »

Motova wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:37 pm
I don't think she's a Buddha, but close enough:

https://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?tit ... i_Mahadevi

http://read.84000.co/translation/toh193.html
Thanks for sharing! I've been completely unaware of this text, don't erally see much that takes places IN Sukhavati, so that's cool.

The introduction says this text must have been translated into Tibetan very early on, and this is super interesting to me:
Thus did I hear at one time. The Bhagavān was dwelling in Sukhāvatī together with the great saṅgha of bodhisattvas, amongst them the following bodhisattva mahāsattvas of the excellent eon:3 Bodhisattva Mahāsattva Ārya Avalokiteśvara, Bodhisattva Mahāsattva Mahā­sthāma­prāpta, Bodhisattva Mahāsattva Sarva­nīvaraṇa­viṣkaṃbhin, Bodhisattva Mahāsattva Kṣitigarbha, Bodhisattva Mahāsattva Samantabhadra, Bodhisattva Mahāsattva Ākāśagarbha, Bodhisattva Mahāsattva Vajrapāṇi and Bodhisattva Sarvabhayahara, and similarly Bodhisattva Mahāsattva Sarva­maṅgala­dhārin, Bodhisattva Mahāsattva Sarva­puṇya­lakṣaṇa­dhārin, Bodhisattva Mahāsattva Candra­sūrya­trailokya­dhārin, Bodhisattva Mahāsattva Sarva­tīrtha­maṅgala­dhārin, and Bodhisattva Mahāsattva Mañjuśrī Kumārabhūta.
Now, I don't know if it's common in Tibetan literature for different emanations of the same being to appear in a text as separate characters, but I'm also thinking this may be a text from before Mahasthamaprapta and Vajrapani were conflated together in Tibetan Buddhism. If I'm blatantly wrong about this, someone can correct me, but I'd like to see the Chinese text to see what's going on there.
:buddha1: Nam mô A di đà Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Quan Thế Âm Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Đại Thế Chi Bồ Tát :bow:

:buddha1: Nam mô Bổn sư Thích ca mâu ni Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Di lặc Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Địa tạng vương Bồ tát :bow:

Return to “Sūtra Studies”