Dharma Gems

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Re: Dharma Gems

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Master So Sahn wrote:Not following after the thinking mind is what is meant by “precepts” (sila). Not giving rise to thinking, but keeping a mind before thinking arises is what is known as “meditation” (samadhi). And not being guided into action by foolish thought is what is known as “wisdom” (prajna).
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Noble son, bodhisattvas endowed with ten qualities have knowledge of the
world. What are those ten? They are humility toward the haughty, no pride
when facing the proud, honesty toward the deceitful, truthfulness toward liars,
gentle words toward unskilled speakers, loving words toward the vicious,
patience toward the aggressive, love toward the brutal, compassion toward the
suffering, and sharing when meeting the stingy. Noble son, bodhisattvas who
possess these ten such qualities have knowledge of the world.
Ratnamegha Sutra, 573
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
如傑優婆塞

Post by 如傑優婆塞 »

As for Ven. Anuruddha, having bowed down to the Blessed One, he sat to one side.
As he was sitting there the Blessed One said to him, "Good, Anuruddha, very good. It's good that you think these thoughts of a great person:
'This Dhamma is for one who is modest, not for one who is self-aggrandizing.
This Dhamma is for one who is content, not for one who is discontent.
This Dhamma is for one who is reclusive, not for one who is entangled.
This Dhamma is for one whose persistence is aroused, not for one who is lazy.
This Dhamma is for one whose mindfulness is established, not for one whose mindfulness is confused.
This Dhamma is for one whose mind is centered, not for one whose mind is uncentered.
This Dhamma is for one endowed with discernment, not for one whose discernment is weak.'
Now then, Anuruddha, think the eighth thought of a great person:
'This Dhamma is for one who enjoys non-objectification, who delights in non-objectification, not for one who enjoys & delights in objectification.'

Anuruddha Sutta

Day and night, at all times,
Buddha’s disciples should
Mindfully recite and contemplate
The eight realizations of Great Beings.

More in Sutra of the Eight Realizations of Great Beings
如傑優婆塞

Post by 如傑優婆塞 »

“Excellent, Sāriputta. Excellent. Those who have not known, seen, penetrated, realized, or attained it by means of discernment would have to take it on conviction in others that the faculty of conviction… persistence… mindfulness… concentration… discernment, when developed & pursued, gains a footing in the deathless, has the deathless as its final end & consummation; whereas those who have known, seen, penetrated, realized, & attained it by means of discernment would have no doubt or uncertainty that the faculty of conviction… persistence… mindfulness… concentration… discernment, when developed & pursued, gains a footing in the deathless, has the deathless as its final end & consummation.” Pubbakoṭṭhaka Sutta
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

如傑優婆塞 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:27 pm “Excellent, Sāriputta. Excellent. Those who have not known, seen, penetrated, realized, or attained it by means of discernment would have to take it on conviction in others that the faculty of conviction… persistence… mindfulness… concentration… discernment, when developed & pursued, gains a footing in the deathless, has the deathless as its final end & consummation; whereas those who have known, seen, penetrated, realized, & attained it by means of discernment would have no doubt or uncertainty that the faculty of conviction… persistence… mindfulness… concentration… discernment, when developed & pursued, gains a footing in the deathless, has the deathless as its final end & consummation.” Pubbakoṭṭhaka Sutta
great quote - real Dharma Gem!
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Lama Zopa Rinpoche, Guru Yoga instructions wrote:There is no difference between myself and others:
None of us wishes even the slightest of sufferings
Nor is ever content with the happiness we have.
Realizing this, I seek your blessings that I may
Enhance the bliss and joy of others.
如傑優婆塞

Post by 如傑優婆塞 »

"In the same way, in the course of the future there will be monks who won't listen when discourses that are words of the Tathagata — deep, deep in their meaning, transcendent, connected with emptiness — are being recited. They won't lend ear, won't set their hearts on knowing them, won't regard these teachings as worth grasping or mastering.

But they will listen when discourses that are literary works — the works of poets, elegant in sound, elegant in rhetoric, the work of outsiders, words of disciples — are recited. They will lend ear and set their hearts on knowing them. They will regard these teachings as worth grasping & mastering.

"In this way the disappearance of the discourses that are words of the Tathagata — deep, deep in their meaning, transcendent, connected with emptiness — will come about.

"Thus you should train yourselves: 'We will listen when discourses that are words of the Tathagata — deep, deep in their meaning, transcendent, connected with emptiness — are being recited. We will lend ear, will set our hearts on knowing them, will regard these teachings as worth grasping & mastering.' That's how you should train yourselves."
Ani Sutta
如傑優婆塞

Post by 如傑優婆塞 »

“The 84,000 teachings of Buddhism are preaching the only one word, ‘death.’
Therefore, it can be said that one who never forgets death naturally understands the all 84,000 teachings of Buddhism.”

(Shoko-bo Bencho Shonin [1162-1238], the second founder of Jodo Shu)

The purpose of studying Buddhadharma is to put an end to birth and death.
Short Quotes Of Wisdom From Venerable Master Hsuan Hua
如傑優婆塞

Post by 如傑優婆塞 »

"There are these five facts that one should reflect on often, whether one is a woman or a man, lay or ordained. Which five?

"'I am subject to aging, have not gone beyond aging.'
This is the first fact that one should reflect on often, whether one is a woman or a man, lay or ordained.

"'I am subject to illness, have not gone beyond illness.' ...

"'I am subject to death, have not gone beyond death.' ...

"'I will grow different, separate from all that is dear and appealing to me.' ...

"'I am the owner of my actions, heir to my actions, born of my actions, related through my actions, and have my actions as my arbitrator.
Whatever I do, for good or for evil, to that will I fall heir.' ...

"These are the five facts that one should reflect on often, whether one is a woman or a man, lay or ordained.

Upajjhatthana Sutta
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

As a river rushes to the sea,
As the sun and moon glide across the mountains of the west,
As days and nights, hours and moments flee,
Life flows away, inexorably.
Padmasambhava
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

We need to be careful about our every thought. If every thought is wholesome, then our lives will be brighter.
Master Hua
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

The unexcelled, most profound, and exquisitely wondrous Dharma,
Is difficult to encounter throughout hundreds of thousands of millions of kalpas.
Since we are now able to see, hear, receive and retain it,
May we comprehend the true meaning of the Tathagata.
Traditional vow before hearing, studying or meditating on Buddhadharma.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Enter the Path! There is no grief like Hate
No pains like passions, no deceit like sense
Enter the Path! far hath he gone whose foot
Treads down one fond offence.

Enter the Path! There spring the healing streams
Quenching all thirst! there bloom th’ immortal flowers
Carpeting all the way with joy! there throng
Swiftest and sweetest hours!
Light of Asia by Edwin Arnold
well wisher

Post by well wisher »

Soldiers of humanity:
“Once a division of the Japanese army was engaged in a sham battle, and some of the officers found it necessary to make their headquarters in Gasan’s temple.
Gasan told his cook: ‘Let the officers have only the same simple fare we eat.’
This made the army men angry, as they were used to very deferential treatment. One came to Gasan and said: ‘Who do you think we are? We are soldiers, sacrificing our lives for our country. Why don’t you treat us accordingly?’
Gasan answered sternly: ‘Who do you think we are? We are soldiers of humanity, aiming to save all sentient beings.
Sample source: https://medium.com/@emeyer09/soldiers- ... 7712055ab
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

A little compilation on being calm & peaceful instead of being triggered:

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/aut ... /bl109.pdf
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

From the Preface of the compilation by Buddharakkhita linked above:
This booklet contains a collection of short suttas spoken by the Buddha and a passage from the Visuddhimagga, each preceded by a brief introduction by the translator. The unifying theme of these pieces may be called a positive response in dealing with provocative people and situations. The texts set forth practical techniques taught by the Buddha for overcoming resentment, hatred and other such pollutants, and for cultivating such elevating mental qualities as good will, amity and compassion. For anyone intent on spiritual development these practical instructions will help to cleanse the mind and to unfold its great hidden potentials.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

“Phagguna, if anyone were to reproach you right to your face, even then you should abandon those urges and thoughts which are worldly. There, Phagguna, you should train yourself thus:
‘Neither shall my mind be affected by this, nor shall I give vent to evil words; but I shall remain full of concern and pity, with a mind of love, and I shall not give in to hatred.’ This is how, Phagguna, you should train yourself.

“Phagguna, if anyone were to give you a blow with the hand, or hit you with a clod of earth, or with a stick, or with a sword, even then you should abandon those urges and thoughts which are worldly. There, Phagguna, you should train yourself thus:
‘Neither shall my mind be affected by this, nor shall I give vent to evil words; but I shall remain full of concern and pity, with a mind of love, and I shall not give in to hatred.’ This is how, Phagguna, you should train yourself.
MN 21 - Saw Sutta
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Monks, there are these five modes of speech which people might use when speaking to you —speech that is timely or untimely, true or false, gentle or harsh, with a good or a harmful motive, and with a loving heart or hostility.
Some might speak to you using speech that is timely or untimely; some might speak to you according to truth or falsely; some might speak to you gently or harshly; some might speak to you with a good motive or with a harmful motive; some might speak to you with a loving heart or with hostility.

On all occasions you should train yourselves thus:

"Neither shall our minds be affected by this, nor for this matter shall we give vent to evil words, but we shall remain full of concern and pity, with a mind of love, and we shall not give in to hatred. On the contrary, we shall live projecting thoughts of universal love to that very person, making him as well as the whole world the object of our thoughts of universal love—thoughts that have grown great, exalted and measureless. We shall dwell radiating these thoughts which are void of hostility and ill will."

It is in this way, monks, that you should train yourselves.
MN 21
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

If with like or dislike, you overreact to small amounts of benefit or harm, in the long run you won’t know who will help or harm you.
It is good to respond without much anger or delight.
Have noble thoughts.
Be even, like the strings of a guitar.
Drigung Bhande Dharmaradza (1704-54)
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Wealth is the root of all suffering -- do not cling to it!
It is easy to be tainted by the stench of bad friends -- do not entrust your mind to worldly people!
Wherever you go and wherever you stay, be inseparable from loving-kindness, compassion and bodhichitta!
Do not investigate other's faults; this will bring about your own downfall!
Phagmodrupa (1110-70)

Return to “Sūtra Studies”