Hot Sauces

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Hot Sauces

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Who else here is a hot sauce fan?

My husband and I got into them because of Hot Ones, then the Heatonist site. They're a really easy way to add flavor to food :twothumbsup:

The biggest discovery for me has been how peppers are like wines, with some dry and crisp like the ghost pepper, and others warm and fruity like habaneros. Now that I'm better at surfing the heat, I've found some surprising flavors!

On the upper extreme of what we've tried is Last Dab, which is so hot it gives me auditory hallucinations. So I don't typically have the super hot ones much... that kind of heat makes you useless for about 10 minutes :rolling:

My favorites for putting on darn near everything are Son of Zombie, Marie Sharpe's habanero, and Secret Aardvark Sauce. On fried tofu or seitan, usually :smile:
Namu Amida Butsu
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Hot Sauces

Post by Queequeg »

In the NY Times there used to be a little section in the Sunday Lifestyles section - maybe its still there. "Things overheard in New York this week," or something like that. It presented little bits of conversation people overhear in this densely packed place. I remember one overheard at a diner - father to son -

"Don't put tabasco on your eggs. It ruins you for all other flavors."

LOL

That said, I like to say, "There's only one flavor - HOT!" Keep it coming until the sweat breaks out on the scalp.

I guess I like my hot sauce like my beer - cheap and mass produced. Either Tabasco or Frank's Red Hot. Some craft hot sauces seem to get too fancy with the extra flavors, like smoke (I feel the same way about craft beers - they all make seem to make IPAs, and I suspect its because its easy to cover your shoddy brewing skills with hops.) We keep a stock of Frank's because I also use it to make buffalo wing sauce. :smile:
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

Mönlam Tharchin wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:44 pm Who else here is a hot sauce fan?

My husband and I got into them because of Hot Ones, then the Heatonist site. They're a really easy way to add flavor to food :twothumbsup:

The biggest discovery for me has been how peppers are like wines, with some dry and crisp like the ghost pepper, and others warm and fruity like habaneros. Now that I'm better at surfing the heat, I've found some surprising flavors!

On the upper extreme of what we've tried is Last Dab, which is so hot it gives me auditory hallucinations. So I don't typically have the super hot ones much... that kind of heat makes you useless for about 10 minutes :rolling:

My favorites for putting on darn near everything are Son of Zombie, Marie Sharpe's habanero, and Secret Aardvark Sauce. On fried tofu or seitan, usually :smile:
Been trying for months now to get a few bottles of Yucatan Sunshine - nothing but bright cheery habanero in a carrot base.

Got a bottle of Dave's 100% Scotch Bonnet

But don't get addicted to sauce alone! We are going through jars of shredded Aleppo pepper, Kalustyan's Smoked Spanish Paprika, and now Nambé Pueblo home grown, Urfa Biber, & Pasillio Negro!
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
KeithA

Post by KeithA »

SunWuKong wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 12:13 am
Mönlam Tharchin wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:44 pm Who else here is a hot sauce fan?

Been trying for months now to get a few bottles of Yucatan Sunshine - nothing but bright cheery habanero in a carrot base.

Got a bottle of Dave's 100% Scotch Bonnet

But don't get addicted to sauce alone! We are going through jars of shredded Aleppo pepper, Kalustyan's Smoked Spanish Paprika, and now Nambé Pueblo home grown, Urfa Biber, & Pasillio Negro!
Weird random fact - I had a locker in high school next to Dave, of the hot sauce company. :)

edit - hmm, wrong Dave. I know the one I knew had a hot sauce company, but the website says otherwise. :shrug:

I keep red and green Tabasco and a bottle of Louisiana on my stove. Love me some chipotle powder too! :twothumbsup:

Keith
When walking, standing, sitting, lying down, speaking,
being silent, moving, being still.
At all times, in all places, without interruption - what is this?
One mind is infinite kalpas.

New Haven Zen Center
Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

The best hot sauces are home-made, but for store bought, I like yucateca green sauce, though they have a red XXX Mayan sauce that is really hot. I also like sirachi sauce on asian food and Valentino on my Mexican snacks. For sliced jicama with lime I like ground chili pequin.

DS
Homage to the Precious Dzogchen Master
🙏🌺🙏 Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
🙏🌺🙏
KeithA

Post by KeithA »

Nothing beats gochu jang for me...but I feel like that’s a different topic,

New Haven Zen Center
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

KeithA wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 7:08 pm

Weird random fact - I had a locker in high school next to Dave, of the hot sauce company. :)

edit - hmm, wrong Dave. I know the one I knew had a hot sauce company, but the website says otherwise. :shrug:

I keep red and green Tabasco and a bottle of Louisiana on my stove. Love me some chipotle powder too! :twothumbsup:

Keith
I know there are several Dave's labeling hot sauce and BBQ sauce. One is a BBQ sauce bottler out of Kansas City, the other one I know of does varietal hot sauces from the islands. KC bbq sauce - meh - i don't eat meat that often + they don't make sorghum syrup in Missouri - double betrayal
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

My favorite generics are Taco Bell hot sauce packets and Tapatio

As for homemade, I really like salsa verde and hybrid verde/guac.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

New Mexico green and red Chiles beat anything taste wise.

I like Sambal Oelek pretty well too.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
tatpurusa

Post by tatpurusa »

I love everything hot, but only natural.
I hate Tabasco etc. because they are full of vinagre and unnatural flavors.
I buy the hottest fresh chillis / paprika I can find and make my own fresh sauce
or eat them as they are along with the meal.
I have never found anything that was too hot for me to eat.

Home-made products by small farmers out of home-grown chillies are also excellent.
I buy these from them whenever I am in Hungary.
KeithA

Post by KeithA »

SunWuKong wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:33 pm
KeithA wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 7:08 pm

Keith
I tracked it down. It’s a company called “Mr. Spice”, based in Middletown, Rhode Island. Dave was a senior when I was a freshman. Super nice guy. Anyway, it’s worth a google. Some interesting sauces there.

Keith

I know there are several Dave's labeling hot sauce and BBQ sauce. One is a BBQ sauce bottler out of Kansas City, the other one I know of does varietal hot sauces from the islands. KC bbq sauce - meh - i don't eat meat that often + they don't make sorghum syrup in Missouri - double betrayal

New Haven Zen Center
Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

They are not hot, but I love chili guajillo. I made a cooked salsa yesterday with tomatoes, dried chili guajillo, dried chili de arbol (hot), garlic, onion, cumin, salt & black pepper.

DS
Homage to the Precious Dzogchen Master
🙏🌺🙏 Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
🙏🌺🙏

Return to “Lounge”