Father has cancer.

Requesting and offering prayers and aspirations for those in need.
Jesse

Father has cancer.

Post by Jesse »

Hello all.

My father was diagnosed with cancer about a month ago. He has stage 4 bladder cancer.

Today they had to shut off function to one of his kidneys but can't remove it due to complications with the cancer.

He is in the most pain I've ever seen him in. My father doesn't show pain to anyone.. he will sit in agony and smile. I am sitting in his room and he is begging and crying for someone to make the pain stop.

He is in so much pain. Please say some prayers for him if you have time or the inclination. The doctors have only given him weeks to months..

So please If you can include him in your prayers.

Thank you so much
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
pemachophel

Re: Father has cancer.

Post by pemachophel »

Jesse,

Very sorry to hear about your father's cancer. Please PM me his name and Tibetan astrology, i.e., the Tibetan zodiac animal and element of the year in which he was born, such as Fire Monkey, Water Dog, etc. Very difficult to effectively say prayers for another with out the name at the very least. If you have a digital picture that would also help.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

TAYATA OM BEKANZE BEKANZE MAHA BEKANZE RADZA SAMUDGATE SOHA

Benefits of the Medicine Buddha Mantra
Namu Amida Butsu
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

My father went thru that too- removed bladder and prostate. He made it through, offering prayers for your dad.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

So sorry to hear about your Dad man, I'll include him in my practice.
SixSyllable.jpg
SixSyllable.jpg (57.84 KiB) Viewed 4445 times
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Thank you all so much for your prayers, and also everyone who said a prayer and didn't post, I truly thank you. I have gotten to a point in my life where I am skeptical and hesitant to pray, and hesitant to ask for others prayers.

I want to be honest. Today when I came in my father's hospital room; I didn't expect to see what I did. My father-- regardless of any faults he may have; is one strong son-of-a-bitch. He never cries, when he's in pain he'll more likely laugh it off so others won't worry about him. I guess he's just old school.

Never in my life have I heard my father cry, or ask for help. I've never seen him plead and pray for the pain to stop. You have no idea how much it affected me, I didn't even think about it, I simply began praying.

For those who wanted more information, his name is Roger. Someone asked for this information, I am not certain I got it right. I simply looked it up on google, and received this for him:
Mewa 4: The Mirror of Nagas
Luck Day: Tuesday
Life Day: Friday
Deadly Day: Wednesday

You are a Water Horse
You can PM me if you require, or want a photograph of him for your prayer. I can't thank everyone enough.. :heart:
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

You and your Dad are in my thoughts and prayers.

My wife survived serious cancer last year and so I know something of what you are going through. I too do not believe in the power of petitionary prayer but the fact that so people in many different faiths said they were prayering for her (and me!) was very helpful. It let us know we had emotional support and were not going through it alone. And on some level, the positive emotional impact of that support I am sure helped my wife fight the disease. It may not have had the effect of the chemo, radition and surgery but it did give her happiness and a positive outlook. That had to count for something.
This is not the wrong life.
shaunc

Post by shaunc »

Thoughts and prayers are with you, your father and the rest of the family.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

For Roger...and Jesse and family.

_/\_
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
PSM

Post by PSM »

Much love and many prayers to you both.

I have always loved this prayer, which has a real power to it:

dü sum sangye guru rinpoché

Buddha of the three times, Guru Rinpoche,
ngödrub kün dak dewa chenpö shyab
Lord of all siddhis, Great Bliss,
barché kün sel düdül drakpo tsal
Dispeller of all obstacles, Wrathful Tamer of Māra.
solwa deb so jin gyi lab tu sol
I supplicate you, bestow your blessings.
chi nang sangwé barché shyiwa dang
Pacify the outer, inner, and secret obstacles
sampa lhün gyi drubpar jin gyi lob
And spontaneously fulfill all wishes.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Its a good idea to start doing some practice for him. There are many practices that can be done, be it purification practices, such as shitro, or more wrathful practices as the Three Wrathful Ones, Guru Dragpo, Guru Dragphur, Garuda, Vajrakilaya too I think, etc. Or maybe some long life practices (White Tara, Amitayus, Namgylma (actually Garchen Rinpoche will give a Namgyalma empowerment via webcast in 2 weeks and the Three Wrathful ones too I think in May).

Hope he gets better!
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

Jesse wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:29 am I have gotten to a point in my life where I am skeptical and hesitant to pray, and hesitant to ask for others prayers.
The point of our various Buddhist practices is to attain Buddhahood.

We believe in prayer because it does work. Not all the time it might seem , but behind the scenes so much is happening for one's development over eternity.
Prayer is like physical exercise in the sense that one develops. It's part of the evolution process towards full blown Buddhahood.

Your father sounds like he is built from pure compassion for others and does not want anyone to be bothered by his illness.

He is evolved and with you being his child , will be protected and find the path in future that's perfect for him.

all the best
d
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

Oh, Jesse, I can't even begin to imagine how this.must feel for you. Even though my father is 82, and might be in the same place in just a few months.

May Roger be free from suffering. May you both be well. Take care of yourself, Jesse. Maybe that's the best you can do for your old man.

_/|\_
Berry

Post by Berry »

Dear Jesse,

Sending love and prayers to you and your father.

_/|\_
Leave the polluted water of conceptual thoughts in its natural clarity. Without affirming or denying appearances, leave them as they are. When there is neither acceptance nor rejection, mind is liberated into mahāmudra.

~ Tilopa
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Jesse wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:09 am Hello all.

My father was diagnosed with cancer about a month ago. He has stage 4 bladder cancer.

Today they had to shut off function to one of his kidneys but can't remove it due to complications with the cancer.

He is in the most pain I've ever seen him in. My father doesn't show pain to anyone.. he will sit in agony and smile. I am sitting in his room and he is begging and crying for someone to make the pain stop.

He is in so much pain. Please say some prayers for him if you have time or the inclination. The doctors have only given him weeks to months..

So please If you can include him in your prayers.

Thank you so much
if you share a pic perhaps we could be more effective in give a hand. you also should learn how to apply rituals for helping, it is not difficult to do.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

PSM wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:03 pm Much love and many prayers to you both.

I have always loved this prayer, which has a real power to it:

dü sum sangye guru rinpoché

Buddha of the three times, Guru Rinpoche,
ngödrub kün dak dewa chenpö shyab
Lord of all siddhis, Great Bliss,
barché kün sel düdül drakpo tsal
Dispeller of all obstacles, Wrathful Tamer of Māra.
solwa deb so jin gyi lab tu sol
I supplicate you, bestow your blessings.
chi nang sangwé barché shyiwa dang
Pacify the outer, inner, and secret obstacles
sampa lhün gyi drubpar jin gyi lob
And spontaneously fulfill all wishes.
+1 for you and your Dad Jesse.
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

I just wanted to post a small update, and to thank everyone again for their prayers, and well wishes.

My father is feeling quite a bit better than he did when I posted, and he is now home. His diagnosis has not changed, but he feels much better than he did.

I really appreciate everyone's support, it really does mean alot to me.

Hoping everyone is well,

thank you.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Jesse wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:56 am I just wanted to post a small update, and to thank everyone again for their prayers, and well wishes.

My father is feeling quite a bit better than he did when I posted, and he is now home. His diagnosis has not changed, but he feels much better than he did.

I really appreciate everyone's support, it really does mean alot to me.

Hoping everyone is well,

thank you.
my grandfather died of cancer in the past year, in my experience it was really much good to do preparation for his departure, such as practicing shitro, avalokiteshvara, thagdrols and alike if you can, or another kind of preparations.

try to not wait for his departure to do something, because cancer is such a heavy ilness that messes with everything including the process of transition.

also is good for you.

I hope I'm not intrusive.

Best regards,

Javier.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

My father just passed away. He passed surrounded by his family. He was very much loved by all of us.

I would like to ask for some prayers for him. Please. Anything to guide him to a peaceful place.

Thank you all.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Jesse wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:00 pm My father just passed away. He passed surrounded by his family. He was very much loved by all of us.

I would like to ask for some prayers for him. Please. Anything to guide him to a peaceful place.

Thank you all.
I am sorry for your loss. http://www.drikungseattle.org/uploads/1 ... klet-2.pdf This prayer could be of help. May he be reborn in Dewachen without delay.

[Mod note 2022: Topic locked. May Jesse's father rest in peace.]
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra

Return to “Prayers and Aspirations”