Readability of Usernames

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Readability of Usernames

Post by Grigoris »

emaho wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:56 pm
Grigoris wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:45 pm Says the person called emaho... Sigh...
dang, you're right! So sorry 'bout that. Can the mods please change my name into Tibetan letters?
Like it makes a difference...
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
emaho

Post by emaho »

Grigoris wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:07 pm Like it makes a difference...
So what's your point?
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

emaho wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:22 pm
Grigoris wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:07 pm Like it makes a difference...
So what's your point?
That the whining in this thread is completely pointless.

When you use the quote function it automatically puts the user's name in the post anyway. So the user knows you are talking to them.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
emaho

Post by emaho »

@Grigoris I should have known better that talking to you is always a waste of time.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

I would like to change my username to a usersound,say 3 seconds of barnyard noises.Whenever someone went onto a thread I posted
on they would here my sound and instantly know I was on that thread. :woohoo: :pig:
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Matt J wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:12 pm I hate it when people say “grumpy old man” instead of curmudgeon. You kids and your lack of 16th century terms! :lol:
Queequeg wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:10 pm The points on both sides have some merit, though, Simon (サイモン :tongue: ), you're kind of sounding like a grumpy old man.
:D
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

amanitamusc wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:47 pm I would like to change my username to a usersound,say 3 seconds of barnyard noises.Whenever someone went onto a thread I posted
on they would here my sound and instantly know I was on that thread. :woohoo: :pig:
User sounds...
That could get quite interesting. Maybe we ought to just go 100% myspace. That would be really interesting.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I am thinking of changing my user name to £$&^@. But you can call me £ for short.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

First off, this isn't a public forum, it's privately owned & operated. Accounts and initial posts are subject to approval.

Second, East Asian Buddhism (for the most part) requires at least a passing recognition of important Buddhist characters in one of a number of East Asian scripts. So no, the user names are not out of place here, on a Buddhist forum with many practitioners of East Asian Traditions.

Third, you don't want to cut and paste? Fine, there's no obligation to respond to a given user. It's rather chauvinistic to assume so. There's no need to be able to pronounce a username. You don't like it, don't read it. You're free to use the "foe" option and other users who are not in violation of the ToS are under no obligation to cater to your whims.

Fourth, the complaints are almost never about Tibetan names, or names from other languages - only East Asian scripts. Why is that?

EDIT:
Don't want to continue discussion on this thread, but felt something needed to be said. What I wanted to add was that transliteration of East Asian names/words robs them of all meaning as there are TONS of homophones in East Asian languages. Also that justsit's example is clearly Chinese, which they'd get from a simple Google Translate paste. In fact pasting "高山隱士" into Google Translate will give a meaning of "Alpine Hermit", whereas Gāoshān yǐnshì (the Google-provided transliteration) gives nothing for meaning when pasted into Google translate (or anywhere else). The transliteration won't get people without a Chinese language background anywhere close to how it would actually sound either. There is really no reason to insist on alphabetic usernames outside of making the people afraid of non-alphabetic characters more comfortable. It makes even less sense when many of these usernames contain characters used for common Dharma terms (meanings that get stripped off when transliterated).
emaho

Post by emaho »

well, if you'd actually bother to read my opening post, you would notice that it applies to usernames in Kyrillic, Greek, or Tibetan characters as well:
emaho wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:14 pm ...my suggestion is: could people with usernames that are not in the English alphabet add a transscription to their name?
besides, I'm neither whining nor complaining, but obviously this discussion doesn't make sense anymore, so I'm not going to waste any more time with it.
Yavana

Post by Yavana »

£$&^@ wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:54 pm I am thinking of changing my user name to £$&^@. But you can call me £ for short.
Welcome Poundollarandcaretat! (Quite a mouthful there, Money!)
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

emaho wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:33 am well, if you'd actually bother to read my opening post, you would notice that it applies to usernames in Kyrillic, Greek, or Tibetan characters as well:
emaho wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:14 pm ...my suggestion is: could people with usernames that are not in the English alphabet add a transscription to their name?
besides, I'm neither whining nor complaining, but obviously this discussion doesn't make sense anymore, so I'm not going to waste any more time with it.
Yeah, but all your examples were Chinese. Regardless, in the past £$&^@ (formerly Simon E. - who I was responding to) exclusively singled out usernames in East Asian character sets repeatedly.
Nobody seems/seemed to care when the usernames were any of the following:
????
(anything with Ś, Ö, ñ, ā, é, or any other diacritic that is not part of the English alphabet).

Agreed, these threads are a waste of time.
Best to mind one's own business and not to try to force others to accommodate.
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Damn, I was going to try to change my name to the love symbol or something like that. Simon beat me to it.
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Actually, could I change my username to my real name, Caoimhghín?

That'll be much easier to read.

justsit

Post by justsit »

Maybe the difference is that the "East Asian" languages use characters rather than letters. It's much easier for a native English speaker to try to parse a transliteration than the characters, which tell a non-East Asian speaker nothing at all - what the sounds are, the meaning, nada.

So for example, when I see 高山隱士, I read it __________. Is this a person's name? No idea what language it even is - Korean, Japanese, Chinese?? It feels somehow like I'm being disrespectful.

Yes, the same goes for Tibetan, although I'm not as clueless with Cyrillic or Greek, as I have some experience with them.

It seems to me that in the interest of friendly clear communication, having the characters also translated to English letters would be helpful, especially since cutting and pasting into some translation programs yields poor results. At least we could try sounding it out and maybe learn a little bit. 朋友= Péngyǒu = friend (or at least that's what Google translate says :smile: )
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

The above is true, but presumes that names will be spelled even slightly how they are pronounced.

Caoimhghín is pronounced vaguely like "Keeveen."
Bstan 'dzin rgya mtsho is pronounced vaguely like "Tenzin Gyatso."
Guillaume is pronounced vaguely like "Gee-om."

The list goes on.

Sometimes people pronounce their name right to your face but their language is full of sounds you have simply never had to make with your mouth and you approximate it the best you can (wrongly) with whatever phonetics your mouth has been trained to correspond to in making words since birth.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

£$&^@ wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:54 pm I am thinking of changing my user name to £$&^@. But you can call me £ for short.
Can I call you "idiotic pain in the ass" for short? :tongue:

Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

:stirthepot:
When did the moderation get so sassy?

It's like the Roast of Alan Watts in here.
:spy:

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Caoimhghín wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:26 am :stirthepot:
When did the moderation get so sassy?

It's like the Roast of Alan Watts in here.
:spy:
You have to admit that this has probably been one of the dumbest and most pointless discussions, with the most idiotic conclusions, that has occurred around here for some time now.

Half the people complaining, do all their practices in a language they can neither read nor understand and even with transliteration cannot pronounce properly.

Guess what people? Not everybody in this world has an English language name, not all words can be translated into English and not all language sounds even exist in English.

This world does not exist just for Anglophones. Suck it up and move on.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

emaho wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:37 pm @Grigoris I should have known better that talking to you is always a waste of time.
Always is a bit of an exaggeration. Most of the time? Okay. Quite often? Mmmmmm... you're onto something there. But surely not ALWAYS a waste of time! :tongue:

Return to “Suggestion Box”