Question for those who carry a mala in daily life

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Simon E.

Re: Question for those who carry a mala in daily life

Post by Simon E. »

heart wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:13 pm
Simon E. wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:03 am
heart wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:47 pm

You can have several malas you know.

/magnus
I bet most Tibetans don't have several. Can you actually imagine most Tibetans having one mala that they walk around with and another that they keep hidden in case it becomes contaminated by normal human biological processes?
No, the point of the hidden mala is that you only use it while in retreat and so it is a part of Samaya. The normal human biological processes are not the problem.

/magnus
Again while not arguing that is never taught, it's worth pointing out that it is not a universal teaching. I have done a number of retreats with different teachers and this has not been emphasised. The only time I have seen it mentioned is on this forum.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
heart

Post by heart »

Simon E. wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:20 pm
Simon E. wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:03 am

I bet most Tibetans don't have several. Can you actually imagine most Tibetans having one mala that they walk around with and another that they keep hidden in case it becomes contaminated by normal human biological processes?
No, the point of the hidden mala is that you only use it while in retreat and so it is a part of Samaya. The normal human biological processes are not the problem.

/magnus
Again while not arguing that is never taught, it's worth pointing out that it is not a universal teaching. I have done a number of retreats with different teachers and this has not been emphasised. The only time I have seen it mentioned is on this forum.
When you say retreat do you mean a strict 14 sessions/10 hours a day kind of retreat? This is normally taught when going through the use of vajra/bell/damaru in a strict retreat.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Yes I have several such retreats. Two with CTR, two with Chime Rinpoche and one with Ato Rinpoche.

Mala etiquette was only mentioned in a common sense way..it was not fetishised.
Along with pointers like not putting Dharma books or pictures of teachers on the floor, as a mark of respect.

haha

Post by haha »

Yes, there are many ways and different ways. There are even some ways that one does not need to plays with dolls. I heard that Vajrayana students train their minds in different emotional places.

Does one need to discard his or her pride while entering into the rest room? Does one need to discard his or her pride while eating? Then, mala? :shrug:
heart

Post by heart »

Simon E. wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:55 pm Yes I have several such retreats. Two with CTR, two with Chime Rinpoche and one with Ato Rinpoche.

Mala etiquette was only mentioned in a common sense way..it was not fetishised.
Along with pointers like not putting Dharma books or pictures of teachers on the floor, as a mark of respect.
It isn't a "fetish" it is just standard treatment of Samaya items. This is also a standard teaching at the Rangjung Yeshe longer retreats.
But you can feel free to do what you want. :smile:

/magnus
Last edited by heart on Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Kris

Post by Kris »

haha wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:05 pm Yes, there are many ways and different ways. There are even some ways that one does not need to plays with dolls. I heard that Vajrayana students train their minds in different emotional places.

Does one need to discard his or her pride while entering into the rest room? Does one need to discard his or her pride while eating? Then, mala? :shrug:
Everybody's free to do what they want. 8-)
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

heart wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:38 pm

/magnus
When you say retreat do you mean a strict 14 sessions/10 hours a day kind of retreat? This is normally taught when going through the use of vajra/bell/damaru in a strict retreat.

/magnus
14 sessions / 10 hrs a day? Those sound like quite short sessions!
43 minutes?
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
heart

Post by heart »

Adamantine wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:50 pm

/magnus
43 minutes?
Sorry, 4 sessions a day all together 10 hours. :smile:

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Simon E. wrote: Seconded. I think that there has always been some 'leakage' from 'Hindu' practice, particularly where the two traditions coexist, particularly in the Himalayas. The idea that malas have to be kept ritualistically pure is not something that I have been taught.
Simon E. wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:07 am when you have completed the circuit of the mala you should reverse it and go back the opposite way..this is seen as honouring the guru and seems to be a direct borrowing from the Vaisnavas
It’s just as likely to be the other way around.. the Hindu’s were likely influenced by the Buddhists in these regards...
Strict conduct regarding samaya objects and samaya substances is and always has been a big deal in the Vajrayana. . .
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

heart wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:58 pm
Adamantine wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:50 pm

/magnus
43 minutes?
Sorry, 4 sessions a day all together 10 hours. :smile:

/magnus
Hahaha ok that sounds more familiar :rolling:
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Adamantine wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:05 pm
Simon E. wrote: Seconded. I think that there has always been some 'leakage' from 'Hindu' practice, particularly where the two traditions coexist, particularly in the Himalayas. The idea that malas have to be kept ritualistically pure is not something that I have been taught.
Simon E. wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:07 am when you have completed the circuit of the mala you should reverse it and go back the opposite way..this is seen as honouring the guru and seems to be a direct borrowing from the Vaisnavas
It’s just as likely to be the other way around.. the Hindu’s were likely influenced by the Buddhists in these regards...
Strict conduct regarding samaya objects and samaya substances is and always has been a big deal in the Vajrayana. . .

So are you suggesting that I must have been taught not to take my mala to the John but have forgotten that I have?
Or that it slipped the mind of my various teachers?

:smile:

My point is not to suggest that these cultural additions are never taught. Its about essence and accidents, finger and moon..

Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Simon E. wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:16 pm
Adamantine wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:05 pm

So are you suggesting that I must have been taught not to take my mala to the John but have forgotten that I have?
Or that it slipped the mind of my various teachers?

:smile:

My point is not to suggest that these cultural additions are never taught. Its about essence and accidents, finger and moon..
No, different conduct might be emphasized more or less by different teachers... this doesn’t correlate to it “leaking from the Hindus”... as you imply.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Fair enough..

catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

n8pee wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:01 am

Isn't the one you've used the most technically the most 'valuable' one?
Only if you believe merit accumulates in the mala with use. In any case it's the fancy stone malas that get the most use by quite a stretch, in my case.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
_R_

Post by _R_ »

When I stopped wearing my mala, it felt like I was going mad and that I has removed one of my limbs.

I don't get why people won't wear them. All the blessings of your sadhana carry around within your mala.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

_R_ wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:29 pm When I stopped wearing my mala, it felt like I was going mad and that I has removed one of my limbs.

I don't get why people won't wear them. All the blessings of your sadhana carry around within your mala.
Really?.... :thinking:

Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Simon E. wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:20 pm
_R_ wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:29 pm When I stopped wearing my mala, it felt like I was going mad and that I has removed one of my limbs.

Really?.... :thinking:
There’s also another conduct that’s taught: never to let your
mala leave the warmth of your body...

There are a number of mala tips in this book by Gyatrul Rinpoche:

https://www.amazon.com/Generating-Deity ... l+Rinpoche
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

The 'really?' was in response to the idea that someone felt that they would go mad if they did not have their mala upon their person.

Really?

Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Simon E. wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:52 pm The 'really?' was in response to the idea that someone felt that they would go mad if they did not have their mala upon their person.

Really?
I’m going to presume this was a figure of speech...
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I'm going to presume nothing..

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”