Are men or women more interested in Enlightenment?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
yagmort

Re: Are men or women more interested in Enlightenment?

Post by yagmort »

Daizan wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:58 pm The Pew Research Center studies linked to above show that women are globally more religious than men across the board with few exceptions. If true, child rearing would appear to be either irrelevant or somehow conducive to religiosity.
personally i see huge difference between being religious and being spiritual.
second, that contradicts with what i see with my own eyes here.
third there is no age groups in the study. i am talking about young women of 20-40 age. i do admit that on a few occasions when i happened to be at a church service there were mostly women, that is old 60+ ladies. i think it's natural for people to search for a higher source of meaning the closer they get to death. to me that's more of a compelled thing rather than genuine, which should happen earlier in life.
forth, the study almost exclusively covers abraham religions.
stay open, spread love
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

yagmort wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:05 pm justsit, yep, you are correct, not u.s.
well then, it's nice to know! i wish they be a tad more open about it, even if only here on DW because it's really inspiring - at least to me as a male. perhaps it would be inspiring for other women as well who are at spiritual crossroad at their lives.. some others online communities have women's subforum, i didn't even check if DW has one..
Sounds like you are comming from Scandinavia?

In my personal life I have only a few incidents being not treated correctly or recognized. I live in an open-minded city in Germany. In day-to-day life, women are equal to men here.

But look at the world of business and labour... Still women do not get the same salary. This is fact in Germany, in US and in many places. Look at women in art. They are still struggling not to be forgotten. And this is not because their art is minor.

So, the same with the question of this topic, just as justsit explained. There are so very many Buddhist women, but nearly nobody is talking about them - and this creates the illusion of women being less interested in Enlightment/Dharma. :sage: :heart:
Daizan

Post by Daizan »

yagmort wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:13 am
Daizan wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:58 pm The Pew Research Center studies linked to above show that women are globally more religious than men across the board with few exceptions. If true, child rearing would appear to be either irrelevant or somehow conducive to religiosity.
personally i see huge difference between being religious and being spiritual.
second, that contradicts with what i see with my own eyes here.
third there is no age groups in the study. i am talking about young women of 20-40 age. i do admit that on a few occasions when i happened to be at a church service there were mostly women, that is old 60+ ladies. i think it's natural for people to search for a higher source of meaning the closer they get to death. to me that's more of a compelled thing rather than genuine, which should happen earlier in life.
forth, the study almost exclusively covers abraham religions.
I didn’t notice at first that there’s 11 pages to the article. I’m guessing that you didn’t notice as well, your report not matching what the research details.
Sentient Light

Post by Sentient Light »

In Vietnam, nuns outnumber monks by an estimated 4-to-1, iirc. It is certainly not true wholesale that monks outnumber nuns in East Asia. Even Vietnamese temples in America, you're more likely to find nuns than monks. Women have also been Chan/Thien patriarchs.
:buddha1: Nam mô A di đà Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Quan Thế Âm Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Đại Thế Chi Bồ Tát :bow:

:buddha1: Nam mô Bổn sư Thích ca mâu ni Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Di lặc Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Địa tạng vương Bồ tát :bow:

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”