Nichiren Shoshu resources, books in english

mansurhirbi87

Nichiren Shoshu resources, books in english

Post by mansurhirbi87 »

Dear ones,

i need Nichiren Shoshu resources, books in english, for exemple. i live in brazil so it's not possible buy books from amazon from USA. it would be very expensive. Maybe somenoe could share a link or share a scanned book

Thank you very much

_/\_
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Nichiren Shoshu resources, books in english

Post by Queequeg »

http://nichiren.info/gosho.html
That's the gosho published by NShoshu (pre schism)
What are you looking for?
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
mansurhirbi87

Post by mansurhirbi87 »

Texts that explain their proper interpretation of NMRK meaning, Gohonzon meaning and implications. Stufsf like these. I know there are some books in english

_/\_
mansurhirbi87

Post by mansurhirbi87 »

Like this text, for exemple :

Myoho-Renge-Kyo

The Buddha expounded his teachings in order to reveal the True Law that leads to Buddhahood, so that people could practice those teachings and manifest the Buddha nature within their own lives. The True Buddha Nichiren Daishonin revealed that the entity of that Law is embodied within the five and seven characters of Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo. He manifested Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo of the Three Great Secret Laws in the form of the Gohonzon.

What is Myoho-Renge-Kyo? The Lotus Sutra is the master of all the sutras that Shakyamuni ever taught. Within the Juryo (“Lifespan”—16th) Chapter of the Lotus Sutra, the Buddha hid the essential Law of Myoho-Renge-Kyo, the vital entity that allows all people to become Buddhas.

The true Juryo Chapter of the Lotus Sutra referred to here is not the literal version that Shakyamuni taught. The Daishonin clarifies: It is the Juryo Chapter within my own life. (Gosho, p. 657; “The True Object of Worship”)

In other words, the True Buddha Nichiren Daishonin is referring to the one true portal to the realm of Buddhahood, hidden within the depths of the Juryo Chapter that He “read” with His own life. The same Gosho refers to that “vital entity” in the following excerpt: …the Buddha…summoned the Bodhisattvas of the Earth. He bestowed upon them the five characters of Myoho-Renge-Kyo, the vital entity of the Juryo Chapter, for the sake of all people on earth. (Gosho, p. 657)

This passage demonstrates that the five characters of Myoho-Renge-Kyo form the vital entity, or core, of the Juryo Chapter. It further reveals that Nichiren Daishonin’s life is endowed with this Mystic Law, which is the entity of the Gohonzon of the Three Great Secret Laws meant for dissemination during the Latter Day of the Law.

Nichijun Shonin, the sixty-fifth High Priest of the Head Temple, wrote the following explanation: Many people commonly believe that the Daishonin’s teachings focus on Daimoku, and neglect the Gohonzon in favor of the Daimoku. … This is because fundamentally, people only see Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo as a Law, which leads them to the limited belief that the Daimoku is merely the principle of the Mystic Law that pervades the entire universe. This is a serious misconception, because in fact, Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo also includes the Buddha’s body. … One must begin with the understanding that within the life of the Buddha, the Mystic Law is one with the Buddha’s body. Only then does practice based on faith in and acceptance of the Gohonzon become true Daimoku. (“The Collected Writings of Nichijun Shonin,” p. 981)

This passage refutes the commonly held, shallow and Law-preponderant idea that Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo is bound to a principle. Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo, the Gohonzon of the oneness of the Person and the Law, also incorporates the body of the Buddha. In other words, the Daimoku of Myoho-Renge-Kyo that the Daishonin expounds is not merely the title of the Lotus Sutra. It is also the name of the seed of Buddhahood hidden in the depths of the Juryo Chapter and the name of the actual manifestation of Ichinen sanzen. It is the Mystic Law of the original, elusive realm of eternal reality grasped by the Buddha’s inherent wisdom.

The Mystic Law of the Original Elusive Realm

In “The Teaching Judged and Approved by all Buddhas of the Three Existences” (Sokanmon sho), the Daishonin writes:

When Shakyamuni Buddha was a common mortal prior to the time of five hundred [myriad] dust particle kalpas ago (gohyaku jindengo), he realized that his body was composed of the five universal elements of earth, water, fire, air and space, and instantly attained enlightenment.(Gosho, p. 1419)

This passage reveals the profound truth of the Buddha’s enlightenment to the Mystic Law in the remotest past of kuon-ganjo. The place of that original enlightenment is referred to as the original realm. Because the Mystic Law of this original realm is extremely difficult to experience, it is called elusive. It is intellectually unfathomable. Nichikan Shonin gives the following guidance about this issue in his “Commentary on ‘The Essentials of the Lotus Sutra’” (Hokke shuyo sho mondan): The inherent wisdom of the Buddha that can grasp the original elusive realm is none other than the original mind of the Mystic Law from the remotest past of kuon ganjo that experiences the eternity of the past, present and future. Can the mind experience the eternity of past, present and future without a realm from which to do so? Because this elusive realm is mystic, the sutra tells us, “My law is mystic because it is difficult to experience.” (Mondan shu, p. 521)

(Note: This chapter can be read in its entirety in the book: The Doctrines and Practice of Nichiren Shoshu.)
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

I would recommend contacting an NShoshu temple. My temple here in D.C. keeps books on hand that are (obviously) pertinent to Shoshu. That's where I picked up the book you quoted from.

One thing you might try is contacting the Shoshu temple there in Brazil (http://www.temploshoboji.org.br/). In the meantime, I can ask Rev Sakabe here if those books exist in an online format.
mansurhirbi87

Post by mansurhirbi87 »

Thank you,

i'll try a contact with the temple here, although i live far from it. i think they don't have it in english. Let me know how can i get the books in pdf or more information about shoshu. The information is scarce.

_/\_
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

mansurhirbi87 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:23 pm Thank you,

i'll try a contact with the temple here, although i live far from it. i think they don't have it in english. Let me know how can i get the books in pdf or more information about shoshu. The information is scarce.

_/\_
Yeah sadly you are very correct about the scarcity of information. I've heard the Overseas Bureau is working on re-writing stuff for wider dissemination, but until then it still remains very Japanese-centric.

I'll see what I can find! :)
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

So, it doesn't look like those books exist in online format. That's a shame, since NShoshu doesn't sell those resources for profit and copyright prevents one from copying entire books and disseminating. I hope this is something they change in the future.

In the meantime though, I was told by the temple that it's perfectly fine to scan portions if someone requests something, so if there is anything you want, feel free to hit me up as a resource.

Did you contact the temple in Brazil? Rev Sakabe at the DC temple sends anyone stuff they request (just have to pay the cost of the book and shipping), so I'd imagine the temple there might do the same. If not and you want to get your hands on a book, I might be able to help with that. :)

Just let me know how I can help. :cheers:

~Bobby
gohonzon

Post by gohonzon »

Bobby here you go

https://honseiji.org/documents/Nichiren ... actice.pdf

That’s the book we want aspiring Nichiren Shōshū believers to read. It’s the most important book to read first before any other publication from the NST.

Aside from that, we are also called to point out that Soka Gakkai members are prohibited from entering the Head Temple, and engaging with their negative karma is always a cautious venture.

I also sent you a PM message.
mansurhirbi87

Post by mansurhirbi87 »

Who is Bobby.? This book i have, i'm looking for some tha explain daimoku and gohonzon with more profoundity as that about doctrine maybe has.
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

I am Bobby :) And yeah, Basics of Practice is good for an intro, but you're right, it doesn't go into great depth about doctrine itself. I will get you some stuff out of the book I have and get it to you.
gohonzon

Post by gohonzon »

Hi Bobby,

Those digital sermons and doctrinal documents may be found in Nichiren Shoshu discussion groups on FaceBook. But they are only shared within that group so someone who is Hokkeko would have to access them first. If they are with Soka Gakkai, they should contact the Kaidozan Shoboji Temple to arrange a closer house meeting nearby to receive the Gojukai vows. Even then, the Kaigen ceremonies for eye opening Juzu beads can only be done within the Nichiren Shoshu temple.

The information available on the internet regarding the Daimoku and the Gohonzon are generally the same, but there is no specific section dedicated to dissecting what is written on the Dai Gohonzon of the High Sanctuary. It’s usually the heretical Nichiren Sects who expound on such things. The Nichiren Shoshu Overseas Bureau is not releasing new publications until 2021, the 800th anniversary of the Master. I commend you in your excellent Nichiren Shoshu Buddhist practice.

Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

I'm surprised that no one has offered to send this person some books.

All the nichiren people should be happy to send you some books.

I can't help with nichiren books, but if you don't have a copy of the lotus sutra, I will send you one.
(It will not be the first time I have sent materials to Brazil for people from this site)
mansurhirbi87

Post by mansurhirbi87 »

"The Nichiren Shoshu Overseas Bureau is not releasing new publications until 2021" :jawdrop:

Thank you, Bobby ! Thank you, Fortyeightvows ! _/\_
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:59 am I'm surprised that no one has offered to send this person some books.

I don't think that's fair.

If people have the means and inclination, then OK. To suggest that such generosity is universally expected goes too far.

Making dana compulsory undermines dana.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:59 am I'm surprised that no one has offered to send this person some books.

I can't help with nichiren books, but if you don't have a copy of the lotus sutra, I will send you one.
(It will not be the first time I have sent materials to Brazil for people from this site)
I'm surprised that you're assuming the offer isn't there. :smile: I am offering to send books if they can't be acquired more efficiently locally.

Return to “Nichiren Shoshu”