(Film) Searching for the Lotus-Born Master

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Tiago Simões

(Film) Searching for the Lotus-Born Master

Post by Tiago Simões »

Watching now. Thoughts?

PeterC

Re: (Film) Searching for the Lotus-Born Master

Post by PeterC »

Vajrayana is profound
Quantum physics is profound
Hey, does that mean Vajrayana *is* quantum physics?
If people will buy it, there will be people to sell it...
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

These days, I pretty much stop listening any time something vaguely spiritual has "quantum" in the title, to be honest.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

This would have been a good documentary of the life of Guru Rinpoche if they didn't try to connect it to quantum physics every 5 seconds...
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:29 am These days, I pretty much stop listening any time something vaguely spiritual has "quantum" in the title, to be honest.
Totally agree.
:good:
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

The agenda seems to be to bring scientific inquiry and yogic insight together by sexing up yogic insight for scientists. "Come look! These hippies have been quantum long before Einstein!"

Maybe Einstein was another Lotus-Born emanation.

The narrator annoys me.

But I was entertained and would like to see the rest, so it worked for me.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

The whole thing is idiotic.
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

Queequeg wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:42 pmBut I was entertained and would like to see the rest, so it worked for me.
It feels like watching a documentary on history channel. It's just missing aliens.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Tiago Simões wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:52 pm
Queequeg wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:42 pmBut I was entertained and would like to see the rest, so it worked for me.
It feels like watching a documentary on history channel. It's just missing aliens.
Weren't they kind of angling at the suggestion that Dakinis and other beings are more or less "aliens"?

Part 2: :popcorn:

But, hey, I'm easy. My favorite show is Bar Rescue.
John Tapper 2020
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
TsultimNamdak

Post by TsultimNamdak »

According to the Wikipedia article on Laurence Brahm, he was foreign policy advisor for Jill Stein in 2015. The universe never ceases to amaze.
Sherab

Post by Sherab »

I cringed when watching it. Lots of vague terms like "energy" being thrown about. Then there is the attempt to use science as a form of justification for spiritual ideas which I think is where it all fails.

Science as we know it currently has no theory or means to talk meaningfully about the spiritual. Science as we currently know it is still purely physical in its explanations. Sure that are still phenomena in science that science itself cannot explain such as quantum entanglement. But that does not necessarily mean that there can never be a physical explanation for it. Science just does not know based on its current body of knowledge.

To bridge the gap between science and the spiritual realm, you need new science. As yet, there is no viable theory or means to build that bridge. So films like this can never bring any new clarity to the subject, which is spiritual and out of the reach of science, at least for the moment.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”