Value (translation) Vipulagarbhe Maniprabhe Dharani

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Darhanar

Value (translation) Vipulagarbhe Maniprabhe Dharani

Post by Darhanar »

Hello. Tell me please what translation of the mantra?
Namo sarva tathagatanam om vipula garbhe mani prabhe tathagata nidarśane mani mani suprabhe vimale sagara gambhira hum hum jvala jvala buddha vilokite guhya dhishthita garbhe svaha.
What does each word mean?
jet.urgyen

Re: Value (translation) Vipulagarbhe Maniprabhe Dharani

Post by jet.urgyen »

Darhanar wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:11 pm Hello. Tell me please what translation of the mantra?
Namo sarva tathagatanam om vipula garbhe mani prabhe tathagata nidarśane mani mani suprabhe vimale sagara gambhira hum hum jvala jvala buddha vilokite guhya dhishthita garbhe svaha.
It is sanskrit, translation is a praise, i can't give details because this mantra is supoused to be secret.

Interesting thing will be yo know how/why you get this, it is very auspicious for you.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
cyril

Post by cyril »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:58 pm
Darhanar wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:11 pm Hello. Tell me please what translation of the mantra?
It is sanskrit, translation is a praise, i can't give details because this mantra is supoused to be secret.

Interesting thing will be yo know how/why you get this, it is very auspicious for you.
No, this is not a secret mantra. This is actually a dharani coming from a sutra.
As for the meaning, I think it goes something like that:
Namo = homage to
Sarva = all
Thathagatanam = those thus gone
Vipula = abundant, large, extensive
Garbhe = [vocative case] seed, womb, calyx
Mani = jewel
Prabhe = [vocative case] shining forth, illuminating
Nidarsane = proclaiming, teaching, disclosing
Suprabhe = [vocative case] glorious, splendid, brilliant
Vimale = [vocative case] clean, pure
Sagara = worthy of praise
Gambhire = accomplishing
Jvala = flame, blaze, blazing out
Buddha Vilokite = maybe “seen or beheld by Buddhas” or ‘Buddha who sees” not sure about this one
Guhya = secret, concealed
(A)dhistite = maybe “resolute”, not sure about this one either but I think it might derive from adhisthana = steadfast resolution.

I have a very, very rudimentary knowledge of Sanskrit so I'm not sure I got the right meaning, though. Please take that with a grain of salt.
"You have to make the good out of the bad because that is all you have got to make it out of."
- Robert Penn Warren -
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

cyril wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:08 pm

No, this is not a secret mantra. This is actually a dharani coming from a sutra.
As for the meaning, I think it goes something like that:
Namo = homage to
Sarva = all
Thathagatanam = those thus gone
Vipula = abundant, large, extensive
Garbhe = [vocative case] seed, womb, calyx
Mani = jewel
Prabhe = [vocative case] shining forth, illuminating
Nidarsane = proclaiming, teaching, disclosing
Suprabhe = [vocative case] glorious, splendid, brilliant
Vimale = [vocative case] clean, pure
Sagara = worthy of praise
Gambhire = accomplishing
Jvala = flame, blaze, blazing out
Buddha Vilokite = maybe “seen or beheld by Buddhas” or ‘Buddha who sees” not sure about this one
Guhya = secret, concealed
(A)dhistite = maybe “resolute”, not sure about this one either but I think it might derive from adhisthana = steadfast resolution.

I have a very, very rudimentary knowledge of Sanskrit so I'm not sure I got the right meaning, though. Please take that with a grain of salt.
Oh, wich sutra, please this is useful to know

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
cyril

Post by cyril »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:57 pm
Oh, wich sutra, please this is useful to know
Apparently the name of that sutra is Vipulagabhe Maniprabhe Tathagata Dharani Sutra. You can read an English translation here:

https://samanthabhadra.wordpress.com/20 ... 寶廣博樓閣陀羅尼經/

The original translator's blog http://seatranslate.blogspot.sg/ is no longer open to the public. You need to send a request to the blog author to become one of the invited readers.
"You have to make the good out of the bad because that is all you have got to make it out of."
- Robert Penn Warren -
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Fantastic, had wondered at the origin of this dharani, glad to come into contact with this sutra.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
ratna

Post by ratna »

In the Tibetan tradition, it comes from a text, included in the Tantra and Dhāraṇī sections of Kangyur, titled Ārya mahāmaṇivipulavimānaviśvasupratiṣṭhitaguhyaparama rahasyakalparāja nāma dhāraṇī.
discussionbuddhist

Post by discussionbuddhist »

ratna wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:01 pm In the Tibetan tradition, it comes from a text, included in the Tantra and Dhāraṇī sections of Kangyur, titled Ārya mahāmaṇivipulavimānaviśvasupratiṣṭhitaguhyaparama rahasyakalparāja nāma dhāraṇī.
Where did you find the full title of this dharani? I looked on Google but couldn't find it. thanks
ratna

Post by ratna »

discussionbuddhist wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:39 am Where did you find the full title of this dharani? I looked on Google but couldn't find it. thanks
Here.
discussionbuddhist

Post by discussionbuddhist »

ratna wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:40 am
discussionbuddhist wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:39 am Where did you find the full title of this dharani? I looked on Google but couldn't find it. thanks
Here.
Thanks for the link but it's all in Tibetan. Is this the correct link? Or did you transliterate the title from Tibetan to Sanskrit?
ratna

Post by ratna »

Yes, the Tibetan text has the title in original Sanskrit at the beginning, in Tibetan script.
crazy-man

Post by crazy-man »

in the chinese, corean and japanese canon, you can find 3 different version of this sutra:
Sanskrit: ārya-mahāmaṇivipula-vimānaviśva-supratiṣṭhita-guhyaparama-rahasyakalparāja-nāma-dhāraṇī
Tibetan: 'phags pa nor bu chen po rgyas pa'i gzhal med khang shin tu rab tu gnas pa gsang ba dam pa'i gsang ba'i cho ga zhib mo'i rgyal po zhes bya ba'i gzungs
Taisho: 大寶廣博樓閣善住祕密陀羅尼經 (1005A,19)
Tripitaka Koreana: K1298:高麗大蔵経研究所
Translation by Amoghavajra: who came to Lo-yang (洛陽) with Vajrabodhi in the 8th year of K'ai Yüan(開元), T'ang dynasty (唐) (A.D. 720)2 and died in the 9th year of Ta Li (大暦), T'ang dynasty (唐) (A.D. 774).
http://www.acmuller.net/descriptive_cat ... k1298.html

Sanskrit: ārya-mahāmaṇivipula-vimānaviśva-supratiṣṭhita-guhyaparama-rahasyakalparāja-nāma-dhāraṇī
Tibetan: 'phags pa nor bu chen po rgyas pa'i gzhal med khang shin tu rab tu gnas pa gsang ba dam pa'i gsang ba'i cho ga zhib mo'i rgyal po zhes bya ba'i gzungs
Taisho: 廣大寶樓閣善住祕密陀羅尼經 (1006_,19)
Tripitaka Koreana: K0422:高麗大蔵経研究所
Translation by Bodhiruci:15th day, 9th month, 2nd year of Shen Lung (神龍), T'ang dynasty (唐) (October 26th, A.D. 706) in Hsi Ch'ung-fu Monastery (西崇福寺).1
http://www.acmuller.net/descriptive_cat ... k0422.html

Taisho: 牟梨曼陀羅呪經 (1007_,19)
Tripitaka Koreana: K0430:高麗大蔵経研究所
Translator unknown: Liang dynasty (梁') (A.D. 502-557)
http://www.acmuller.net/descriptive_cat ... k0430.html

in the tibetan canon, you can find only one version of this sutra
http://databases.aibs.columbia.edu/inde ... ll=kangyur
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Are the first two words in the title in the locative?
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
Tolya M

Post by Tolya M »

Only versions. I don't know BHS and my knowledge of sanskrit equals 1 week without 10 years ))) The dharani is not 100% coinsize to the rules of classical sanskrit. It must be something like that according to the classical rules (I hope) :

Oṃ vipulagarbhe maṇiprabhe tathāgatanidarśane
maṇimaṇī suprabhāvimale sāgaragāmbhīre hūṃ! hūṃ! jvala! jvala! buddhavilokite guhyādhiṣṭhite garbha svāhā

...Oh, the greatinside! Oh, thepreciouslight! Oh, theteaching(or magic abilities)oftathagata! Oh, thepreciousjewel! Oh, thesuperstainlesslight! Oh, theoceanprofound! hum! hum! Flame (or blaze)! (it is a verb of 1-st kind, in imper. mood, singular, active, second person, from -jval-) Flame! Oh, allbuddhaseer! Oh, inprofoundresiding! Oh, garbha (fire, inside, offspring, child, essense - I don't know) hail!

BUT PLEASE REMEMBER this is only an assumption. One in 100000 and according (I hope again) to the classical rules which were not used by buddhists. There is no chance to translate smth from a language where one word have over than 60 meanings and it is not a joke. Not to mention numerous doctrinally buddhist and not accordingtothelanguage interpretations.

Ideally there should be something like this

This is a great dharani. One who chant it is destined to the Vipalagarbhe Maniprabhe tathagata buddaksetra (field) ))
Last edited by Tolya M on Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tolya M

Post by Tolya M »

Coëmgenu wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:51 am Are the first two words in the title in the locative?
Neutral dual like compound and vocative i suppose... There is a chaos in gender and cases in an otherway.
Tolya M

Post by Tolya M »

Actually the secrecy is related to The Shaker of sansara Padmadhara but not to the Vipulagarbhe maniprabhe tathagata :smile:
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Tolya M wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:51 am

Actually the secrecy is related to The Shaker of sansara Padmadhara but not to the Vipulagarbhe maniprabhe tathagata :smile:
yeah, it was y mistake :P i did not knew this sutra

Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Tolya M wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:40 am
Coëmgenu wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:51 am Are the first two words in the title in the locative?
Neutral dual like compound and vocative i suppose... There is a chaos in gender and cases in an otherway.
Yeah. I've hard another theory that these -e stems come from Maghadi Prakrit, depending on the age of this dharani. I was wondering if you knew anything about that theory.
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”