How Does One Purify the Five Heinous Crimes in Sutra?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Motova

Post by Motova »

To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
Wicked Yeshe

Re: How Does One Purify the Five Heinous Crimes in Sutra?

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

One nembutsu. Then it is purgatory until sukhavati.
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Wicked Yeshe wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:58 pm One nembutsu. Then it is purgatory until sukhavati.
How does one purify purgatory?
Motova

Post by Motova »

Wicked Yeshe wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:58 pm One nembutsu. Then it is purgatory until sukhavati.
Citation?
Wicked Yeshe

Post by Wicked Yeshe »

It is from a priest named Kosai who was a disciple of Honen. He taught single recitation rebirth in the pure land which i strongly believe in.

My recent development though has been based on no practice. I still haven't dared a day without reciting at least one nembutsu but by now all should be done and finished. Nothing to do except wait for paradise. If the world was not so screwed it would be fine but now i drink tea with bitter herbs to soothe me.

If you want to be saved you will be. Trust Amitabha Buddha to do the job.
Josef

Post by Josef »

By cultivating bodhicitta.
See chapter 1 of the Bodhicaryavatara
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
cyril

Post by cyril »

Motova wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:38 pm How Does One Purify the Five Heinous Crimes in Sutra?
There are many dharanis that you can use for this purpose. The Great Compassion Dharani, the Cintamanicakra Dharani, the Vipulagarbhe Maniprabhe Dharani and so on. Purification of the five heinous crimes is listed among the benefits of each of these dharanis in the very sutras that expound them.
"You have to make the good out of the bad because that is all you have got to make it out of."
- Robert Penn Warren -
Motova

Post by Motova »

cyril wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:21 am
Motova wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:38 pm How Does One Purify the Five Heinous Crimes in Sutra?
There are many dharanis that you can use for this purpose. The Great Compassion Dharani, the Cintamanicakra Dharani, the Vipulagarbhe Maniprabhe Dharani and so on. Purification of the five heinous crimes is listed among the benefits of each of these dharanis in the very sutras that expound them.
Very cool thank you. :smile: Do those also purify Bodhisattva vows?
cyril

Post by cyril »

Motova wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:02 am
I don't think the purification of broken bodhisattva vows is singularly mentioned in any of those sutras. The texts just say that the dharanis in question have the power to purify all sorts of broken pledges, precepts and vows. You can actually find the sutras online and read that yourself.

However, if you intend to recite the dharanis to purify broken vows, I think you should undertake that in the context of the four opponent powers. Without the power of regret, reliance and resolve, frankly speaking, I don't see how anything could get purified. Last but not the least, I guess you should have some confidence in the practice. From the Mahakarunicitta Dharani Sutra:

"All evil karma and weighty sins such as the ten evil deeds, the five rebellious sins, slandering people, slandering the Dharmas, breaking the layman precepts, breaking other precepts, destroying stupas, wrecking temples, stealing properties of Sangha, and profaning pure practices, can be completely eliminated by reciting this Dharani, except this: if one has doubts about this Dharani, then even his small sins and light karma cannot be eliminated, not to mention the weighty sins. However, although the weighty sins do not disappear immediately, the reciting can still be the cause of Bodhi in the future."

From the Cintamani Chakra Dharani Sutra:

"This is the reason that if anyone can believe and practise this dharani, then all 4 heavy sins, 5 rebilious sins and all the bad karma that ought to cast one into Avici Hell shall be removed."
"You have to make the good out of the bad because that is all you have got to make it out of."
- Robert Penn Warren -
Motova

Post by Motova »

cyril wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:56 am

I don't think the purification of broken bodhisattva vows is singularly mentioned in any of those sutras. The texts just say that the dharanis in question have the power to purify all sorts of broken pledges, precepts and vows. You can actually find the sutras online and read that yourself.

However, if you intend to recite the dharanis to purify broken vows, I think you should undertake that in the context of the four opponent powers. Without the power of regret, reliance and resolve, frankly speaking, I don't see how anything could get purified. Last but not the least, I guess you should have some confidence in the practice. From the Mahakarunicitta Dharani Sutra:

"All evil karma and weighty sins such as the ten evil deeds, the five rebellious sins, slandering people, slandering the Dharmas, breaking the layman precepts, breaking other precepts, destroying stupas, wrecking temples, stealing properties of Sangha, and profaning pure practices, can be completely eliminated by reciting this Dharani, except this: if one has doubts about this Dharani, then even his small sins and light karma cannot be eliminated, not to mention the weighty sins. However, although the weighty sins do not disappear immediately, the reciting can still be the cause of Bodhi in the future."

From the Cintamani Chakra Dharani Sutra:

"This is the reason that if anyone can believe and practise this dharani, then all 4 heavy sins, 5 rebilious sins and all the bad karma that ought to cast one into Avici Hell shall be removed."
Thank you.
Josef

Post by Josef »

There is no need to purify the Bodhisattva vows, they are already pure.
If one has broken them you retake them and resolve not to breech them again.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
WeiHan

Post by WeiHan »

35 Buddhas confession also known as Three Heaps Sutra is the one that purifies all negative karma including the five heinous crimes. It is mentioned in Shantideva's Bodhicharyavatara that all aspiring bodhisattvas should do this practice six times a day. Jetsun Drakpa Gyaltsen mentioned that in one of his self composed prayer. This purification method is also mentioned in many sutras. King Trisong Detsen invited 100 lotsawas and masters from India and none didn't recommended him this practice.

Reciting the King aspiration prayer of Samantabhadra can purify the five heinous crime.

Samantabhadra Meditation Sutra, a sutra mainly about confession practice and a main sutra that the Tian Tai school is based on mentioned about retaking the Bodhisattva vows after the confession practice. However, all english translations of this sutra are only partial and incomplete.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samantabh ... tion_Sutra
Motova

Post by Motova »

WeiHan wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:33 pm
35 Buddhas confession also known as Three Heaps Sutra is the one that purifies all negative karma including the five heinous crimes. It is mentioned in Shantideva's Bodhicharyavatara that all aspiring bodhisattvas should do this practice six times a day. Jetsun Drakpa Gyaltsen mentioned that in one of his self composed prayer. This purification method is also mentioned in many sutras. King Trisong Detsen invited 100 lotsawas and masters from India and none didn't recommended him this practice.

Reciting the King aspiration prayer of Samantabhadra can purify the five heinous crime.

Samantabhadra Meditation Sutra, a sutra mainly about confession practice and a main sutra that the Tian Tai school is based on mentioned about retaking the Bodhisattva vows after the confession practice. However, all english translations of this sutra are only partial and incomplete.
Thank you.
WeiHan

Post by WeiHan »

Motova wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:55 pm
WeiHan wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:33 pm

Thank you.
The Great Liberation Sutra, well loved in Tibetan traditions, is also another method to purify five heinous crimes. Buddhas taught this Sutra just before Mahaparinirvana and it is mainly about purification practice. That goes to show the importance about confession practices. It is not just about purifying negative karma and obscuration but, in fact, it (powerful confession practices) is a method to attain realisation.

To add another point, It is worth mentioning that many great masters placed great emphasis in the 35 Buddhas confession practices. The list includes, Tsongkhapa, Atisha etc...Chinese Mahayana has a 88 Buddhas confession practices and the 88 Buddhas include the 35 Buddhas names. many great Indian and tibetan masters held that the 35 Buddhas are sufficient. Of course, without having to mention, an effective confession practice need to include the 4 opponent forces.
WeiHan

Post by WeiHan »

It is unlikely that anyone of us here has committed the five heinous crimes.

1. Causing the Buddha to bleed - There is no Buddha at our time so committing this crime is impossible. Any such previous acts would have already ripened as state in Avici hell.

2. Killing Arahat - Arahat is almost non existent in our age so killing one is an impossible act. Similarly, any such previous acts would have already have its karma ripened.

3. Killing father - You should know if you have killed your father.

4. Killing mother - same

5. Splitting the Sangha - I have read that this is also impossible unless you lived in Buddha's time.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

WeiHan wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:37 pm
5. Splitting the Sangha - I have read that this is also impossible unless you lived in Buddha's time.
It's possible today, but you would need to cause a certain number of members of the ordained Sangha to oppose others on a specific doctrinal topic - so basically it's very unlikely that you would have achieved this without consciously trying to do so
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

2. Killing Arahat - Arahat is almost non existent in our age so killing one is an impossible act.......
I am sure modern Theravadins would diasgree. :coffee:
WeiHan

Post by WeiHan »

liuzg150181 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:13 am
2. Killing Arahat - Arahat is almost non existent in our age so killing one is an impossible act.......
I will be happy if it is not true. Anyway, I have read this in Ven Dhammika's book "The Broken Buddha". It does give me a generally impression that modern Theravadins accepted that Arahathood has not been attained by anyone for quite awhile.
liuzg150181

Post by liuzg150181 »

WeiHan wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:30 am
liuzg150181 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:13 am
I will be happy if it is not true. Anyway, I have read this in Ven Dhammika's book "The Broken Buddha". It does give me a generally impression that modern Theravadins accepted that Arahathood has not been attained by anyone for quite awhile.
I am aware this too,that Theravadins believed that there won't be Arahants from 17th centuries onwards. The vipassana meditation trend of modern Theravadins(notice I use the qualifier 'modern') is actually a modern revival,partly as counter-movement against impingement of Christian evangelism and colonialism.
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

PeterC wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:49 am
WeiHan wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:37 pm 5. Splitting the Sangha - I have read that this is also impossible unless you lived in Buddha's time.
It's possible today, but you would need to cause a certain number of members of the ordained Sangha to oppose others on a specific doctrinal topic - so basically it's very unlikely that you would have achieved this without consciously trying to do so
Doctrines do not define the Sangha, precepts do. So someone would actually have to reconstruct the Vinaya in order to cause a split. And that has not really happened, ever.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”