Tibetan Astrology

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Tiago Simões

Tibetan Astrology

Post by Tiago Simões »

What are your experiences with Tibetan astrology? I'm really curious how effective it has been in people's lives.
diamind

Re: Tibetan Astrology

Post by diamind »

tiagolps wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:07 pm What are your experiences with Tibetan astrology? I'm really curious how effective it has been in people's lives.
I find it very useful, up most important is to know your obstacle years.

I suggest you get your full chart made. here http://www.men-tsee-khang-exports.org/

or if you can't afford it the full chart.... once a year the dzongchen community release a calendar. Inside you can calculate your fortunes and obstacles for the year then you can do the recommended practices mentioned in the calendar.

Sarva mangalam
heart

Post by heart »

tiagolps wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:07 pm What are your experiences with Tibetan astrology? I'm really curious how effective it has been in people's lives.
I had it done at the Men Tsee Kang when I was in India many years ago. They told you when your life is supposed to end (81) and what your next life might be (a religious man) as well as how you can improve you chances in the next life (make a thangka of Tara). Interesting for sure. :smile:

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

diamind wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:27 am once a year the dzongchen community release a calendar.
Is it a free calendar?
heart wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:45 pm ...as well as how you can improve you chances in the next life (make a thangka of Tara)
Did you do it? :smile:

I started using a tibetan calendar app, the Drukpa calendar. Mostly to help me know what I should do (Sutrayana) on special days. One question though, Negative element combination, for example on the 30th day of the 10th month:

Earth - Fire
"This combination has the burning energy to bring suffering"

What combination is this? Combination of people?

heart

Post by heart »

tiagolps wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:50 pm
heart wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:45 pm ...as well as how you can improve you chances in the next life (make a thangka of Tara)
Did you do it? :smile:
Not really, but I have done a beautiful thangka with an other deity. I also practiced Tara for a number of years. :smile:

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Tibetan astrology really has nothing to do with astrology as we understand it. The term for it in Tibetan is jungtsi ('byung rtsis), which means literally, calculation of the elements, or nagtsi (nag rstis), i.e. the calculation of Duhar Nagpo, the Chinese master whom legend holds introduced elemental calculation to Tibet during the imperial period, which was then hidden as a terma and revealed in the 11th century.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

Since Kālacakra is part of Tibetan Buddhism, it is worth nothing that the Kālacakra includes a component of scientific astronomy, a bit of astrology and use of the tropical zodiac (in contrast to the normal sidereal zodiac of Indian astrology). I'm uncertain the extent to which modern practitioners pay attention to astrological concerns, but nevertheless it is part of the scriptures.
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:31 pm
Tibetan astrology really has nothing to do with astrology as we understand it. The term for it in Tibetan is jungtsi ('byung rtsis), which means literally, calculation of the elements, or nagtsi (nag rstis), i.e. the calculation of Duhar Nagpo, the Chinese master whom legend holds introduced elemental calculation to Tibet during the imperial period, which was then hidden as a terma and revealed in the 11th century.
What comes into play in the calculation of the elements? What are the major differences?
heart wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:03 pm Not really, but I have done a beautiful thangka with an other deity. I also practiced Tara for a number of years. :smile:

/magnus
You're still in time to do it. I bet 81 is still a ways away :tongue:
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Indrajala wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:37 pm Since Kālacakra is part of Tibetan Buddhism, it is worth nothing that the Kālacakra includes a component of scientific astronomy, a bit of astrology and use of the tropical zodiac (in contrast to the normal sidereal zodiac of Indian astrology). I'm uncertain the extent to which modern practitioners pay attention to astrological concerns, but nevertheless it is part of the scriptures.
Indeed, but in reality, Kālacakra is used primarily for making calendars.

For every day practical use, elemental calculation is the preferred system.
fckw

Post by fckw »

I don't have any experience with Tibetan astrology, and close to none with Indian one. But I am regularly using Western astrology as a source of understanding the current qualities of my mind. Tantric practice can be combined very well with astrology, certain transits are related in their quality to certain deities. For example, an important transit of Venus might go well with deities that are linked to the arts. This also is true for energy practices. During certain transits, especially those related to lunar nodes (which are linked in Indian astrology also with the kundalini energy), energy practice goes nearly by itself. In fact, there is a lot left for research between tantra and astrology, as there are only relatively few practitioners who are deeply knowledgeable and skilled in both systems. Also, conjunctions of planets with certain fixed stars or asteroids in the radix often are a good indicator to find out about special powers, or extraordinary personalities.
I don't know exactly how this works in a monastic setting, I believe basics of astrology is part of a typical Geshe training, but I don't know how many Geshes study the subject more in-depth. Malcolm would probably know more about this than I do.
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

diamind wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:27 am

I suggest you get your full chart made. here http://www.men-tsee-khang-exports.org/

or if you can't afford it the full chart.... once a year the dzongchen community release a calendar. Inside you can calculate your fortunes and obstacles for the year then you can do the recommended practices mentioned in the calendar.

Sarva mangalam
I checked out the website...costs $105 and takes 3-4 months to complete...wonder why it takes so long...and to be honest, for $105 and the time it takes, it better be REALLY complete...lol
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Fa Dao wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:39 pm

Sarva mangalam
I checked out the website...costs $105 and takes 3-4 months to complete...wonder why it takes so long...and to be honest, for $105 and the time it takes, it better be REALLY complete...lol
Just go to tibastro.eu
You can get it in just seconds. What need is a calendar?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

fckw wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:15 pm I don't have any experience with Tibetan astrology, and close to none with Indian one. But I am regularly using Western astrology as a source of understanding the current qualities of my mind. Tantric practice can be combined very well with astrology, certain transits are related in their quality to certain deities. For example, an important transit of Venus might go well with deities that are linked to the arts. This also is true for energy practices. During certain transits, especially those related to lunar nodes (which are linked in Indian astrology also with the kundalini energy), energy practice goes nearly by itself. In fact, there is a lot left for research between tantra and astrology, as there are only relatively few practitioners who are deeply knowledgeable and skilled in both systems. Also, conjunctions of planets with certain fixed stars or asteroids in the radix often are a good indicator to find out about special powers, or extraordinary personalities.

I don't know exactly how this works in a monastic setting, I believe basics of astrology is part of a typical Geshe training, but I don't know how many Geshes study the subject more in-depth. Malcolm would probably know more about this than I do.
There is nothing like this in Tibetan calculation, in general they do not charts -- they have technique, but it never caught in in Tibet.
Boomerang

Post by Boomerang »

I received a horoscope from http://www.men-tsee-khang-exports.org. I am happy with the horoscope itself, but I suspect that their website is insecure. If you want to purchase something through the website, I recommend that you use a browser addon like privacy (https://privacy.com/) instead of giving them your real credit card information.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Some people from the men-tsee-khang came to the temple we attend. Alot of what they told us matched our eight words and was very helpfull.
If you get the full chart, it comes printed on very nice paper, with the chart itself being written/filled in by hand in the center of an amulet which has been printed in colour.
Over all it seems they are very good at what they do.
Fa Dao wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:39 pm I checked out the website...costs $105 and takes 3-4 months to complete...wonder why it takes so long...and to be honest, for $105 and the time it takes, it better be REALLY complete...lol
It is actually a very good deal for the amount of information. And anyways alot of fortune tellers charge much more than that.
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:35 am Some people from the men-tsee-khang came to the temple we attend. Alot of what they told us matched our eight words and was very helpfull.
If you get the full chart, it comes printed on very nice paper, with the chart itself being written/filled in by hand in the center of an amulet which has been printed in colour.
Over all it seems they are very good at what they do.
Fa Dao wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:39 pm I checked out the website...costs $105 and takes 3-4 months to complete...wonder why it takes so long...and to be honest, for $105 and the time it takes, it better be REALLY complete...lol
It is actually a very good deal for the amount of information. And anyways alot of fortune tellers charge much more than that.
cool...appreciate the info
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
diamind

Post by diamind »

Fa Dao wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:39 pm

Sarva mangalam
https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=23505

That's what it's like.

If you know Tibetan I think it costs $5 dollars. Essentially your paying 100$ for the translation from Tibetan into English. Nonetheless it's worth it in my opinion. However I still check the yearly horoscope and complete the practices as soon as I can.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Boomerang wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:18 am I received a horoscope from http://www.men-tsee-khang-exports.org. I am happy with the horoscope itself, but I suspect that their website is insecure. If you want to purchase something through the website, I recommend that you use a browser addon like privacy (https://privacy.com/) instead of giving them your real credit card information.

Yes, in response to Western and Indian demand, Tibetans have begun to do charts, but it is not a traditional thing for Tibetans to do.
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:21 pm
Boomerang wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:18 am I received a horoscope from http://www.men-tsee-khang-exports.org. I am happy with the horoscope itself, but I suspect that their website is insecure. If you want to purchase something through the website, I recommend that you use a browser addon like privacy (https://privacy.com/) instead of giving them your real credit card information.

Yes, in response to Western and Indian demand, Tibetans have begun to do charts, but it is not a traditional thing for Tibetans to do.
Im curious...is there a reason why they didnt do them?
TYN

Post by TYN »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:31 pm
Terma? Is this terma available in English? Which system is based on this terma?

Now I am trying to determine which year does a person born on 15.2.2006 belong to and I found out that according to Tsurphu calendar the new year began on January 30 and according to calendar issued by Dzogchen Community(Phugpa system) it states the new year began on February 28. This sounds a bit crazy... Which one is correct?

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”