Mo-ho-Chih-kuan forthcoming

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Mo-ho-Chih-kuan forthcoming

Post by Queequeg »

ITS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.uhawaiipress.com/p-9843-9780824873776.aspx
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

:twothumbsup:
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

It may be there and available to order from U. of Hawaii, but they have an October date. Nor has Amazon shipped yet - so more patience needed. :shrug:
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

I put in an order on Friday. I'll let you know when I receive it. :smile:
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

My order in today. Amazon shows the book in pre-order though I went thru U of H.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Still in pre-order status via Amazon, but the total price has come down 6 or 7 dollars. :twothumbsup:
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Yep... still waiting for delivery...
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

Likewise... just picked up Stopping and Seeing..pile of stuff to read getting taller faster than I can read it lol
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

narhwal90 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:09 pm Likewise... just picked up Stopping and Seeing..pile of stuff to read getting taller faster than I can read it lol
I generally like Cleary, but that Stopping and Seeing strikes me as some project he half heartedly started and then quit. Its like he pulled it out of his filing cabinet and sent it to the publisher because his editor was nagging him for something. LOL
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Queequeg wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:27 pm
narhwal90 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:09 pm Likewise... just picked up Stopping and Seeing..pile of stuff to read getting taller faster than I can read it lol
I generally like Cleary, but that Stopping and Seeing strikes me as some project he half heartedly started and then quit. Its like he pulled it out of his filing cabinet and sent it to the publisher because his editor was nagging him for something. LOL
Quite so, Cleary says in his Intro that he only did the first quarter of the Big one.

Of course, Chih-i also did a smaller one that is a keeper. At least in the version by Bhikshu Dharmamitra, with Chinese on facing pages: The Essentials of Buddhist Meditation - Kalavinka Press.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Received notice its being shipped...
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

so this where i learn that meditation Nichiren Daishonin talks about...sorry i forgot but Q you know what i am on about here.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

This is the text where Zhiyi explains the Sudden and Perfect Practice - meditation on the Three Thousand in a Single Thought Moment...
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

This is an utterly stupid reason to be mildly annoyed, but why on earth did they use Wade–Giles? Not Pīnyīn?

On a more productive note, does anyone know why 訶 is being rendered as "ho"? AFAIK it is hē, which would be "he" as well in Wades-Giles.

It is 'ho' in Cantonese, but why use Cantonese for one character and Mandarin for the rest?

I'm actually looking forward to this translation a lot, despite my complaints.
Last edited by Caoimhghín on Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Coëmgenu wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:17 pm This is an utterly stupid reason to be mildly annoyed, but why on earth did they use Wade–Giles? Not Pīnyīn?

On a more productive note, does anyone know why 诃 is being rendered as "ho"? AFAIK it is hē, which would be "he" as well in Wades-Giles.

It is 'ho' in Cantonese, but why use Cantonese for one character and Mandarin for the rest?

My guess is because Swanson's academic career started back when Wade Giles was the standard. He worked on the translation for like 25 years. Going back and revising maybe would present too much of an editorial effort. Also, since his earlier work used Wade Giles, the consistency might be preferable in cross referencing his work than following up on the politically correct convention in style now.

I'm going to be mispronouncing it all anyway so...

my wife gets on me for ordering the shi-razz at the restaurant...
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Queequeg wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:27 pm
Coëmgenu wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:17 pm This is an utterly stupid reason to be mildly annoyed, but why on earth did they use Wade–Giles? Not Pīnyīn?

On a more productive note, does anyone know why 诃 is being rendered as "ho"? AFAIK it is hē, which would be "he" as well in Wades-Giles.

My guess is because Swanson's academic career started back when Wade Giles was the standard. He worked on the translation for like 25 years. Going back and revising maybe would present too much of an editorial effort. Also, since his earlier work used Wade Giles, the consistency might be preferable in cross referencing his work than following up on the politically correct convention in style now.
Makes sense. The only mystery to me is the 'ho'. I see 'moho' at the beginning regularly, though. So Swanson is going with an established tradition of rendering Chinese into Latin letters, I just don't know myself where the 'ho' has historical precedence as a rendering choice. '

NVM, literally as I typed this, I found out what 'ho' actually is how Wades-Giles romanizes 'hē'. Weird.

I suppose, though, that all manner of weirdness flies in Wades-Giles, so I shouldn't be surprised.
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

My copy just arrived- quite a big work too! 3 books, makes a stack a bit over 5" thick- I think the small typeface avoids it being a lot thicker lol. vol 1 has an extensive glossary, the format of the work is much like that seen in the online excerpt; each page tends to have llots of footnotes.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

narhwal90 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:11 pm My copy just arrived- quite a big work too! 3 books, makes a stack a bit over 5" thick- I think the small typeface avoids it being a lot thicker lol. vol 1 has an extensive glossary, the format of the work is much like that seen in the online excerpt; each page tends to have llots of footnotes.
I guess you ordered direct from U of Hawaii? Amazon still has not said "on the way".

Small type for the main text may make it too much for these old eyes. How small would you say - 12pt or 10pt or itty bitty 8 or 9pt??
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Mine arrived too!

Font is probably 10? Footnotes 8?
GDPR_Anonymized001

Post by GDPR_Anonymized001 »

Was it 90 USD for all three volumes? Or 90 per volume? I'm a bit confused with regard to price.

Praise the lord for Footnotes. May Endnotes die a quick death.

Return to “Sūtra Studies”