Image of Buddha?

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Tenma

Image of Buddha?

Post by Tenma »

I've been studying in my AP world history class and so far, I've noticed that the image of the Buddha we think of didn't come up until centuries after his death. How did this image pop out of no where? Also, does that mean we really don't know what he looks like? I noticed that some orthodox traditions prefer not to portray him as he has reached Nirvana and is no longer of this world, but instead as a bodhi tree or his footprints. Any suggestions why this is so? Also, does that mean all the other Buddhas are not in their real image?
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
kalden yungdrung

Re: Image of Buddha?

Post by kalden yungdrung »

Tenma wrote:I've been studying in my AP world history class and so far, I've noticed that the image of the Buddha we think of didn't come up until centuries after his death. How did this image pop out of no where? Also, does that mean we really don't know what he looks like? I noticed that some orthodox traditions prefer not to portray him as he has reached Nirvana and is no longer of this world, but instead as a bodhi tree or his footprints. Any suggestions why this is so? Also, does that mean all the other Buddhas are not in their real image?

Tashi delek T,

Some time ago the Greec conquered a great part of Afghanistan, Pakistan , the Punjab.
In 327 BC Alexander the Great began his foray into Punjab. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_conquests_in_India
They did not brought their philosphy etc. to Punjab, but integrated there in the existing Religion.
The tall Buddha statue of Bamiyan, is a proof of this Greece statue. It was destroyed unfortunately by the Taliban.
Later they integrated Greece sculpture technics in the Gandhara art and so the Buddha image was born.
If there have been before the Greece invading of the Punjab, Buddhist images is not known to me.
Guess that the most Buddha images are based on the The 32 Two Marks and 80 Exemplifications of the Sambhogakaya
http://buddhism.lib.ntu.edu.tw/FULLTEXT ... 117505.htm
--------------------------
Gandhara,_testa_di_buddha,_I-III_sec.JPG
Gandhara,_testa_di_buddha,_I-III_sec.JPG (24.39 KiB) Viewed 3476 times
Macedonian Gandhara https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gandhara )

Bactrian Greek Buddhist artists had been very active in the 2nd or the 3rd centuries BC in the Bamiyan region in West Asia and the Buddha images silhouetted against the vast sandy valley bearing a calm and serene composure may have been an awe-inspiring vision for the travellers who passed by. The images had stood at 112 and 172 feet respectively and were housed within their own chapels.

http://www.sundaytimes.lk/120122/Plus/plus_13.html

--------------
The best meditation is no meditation
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

The image of an "empty throne" is also an image of Buddha without his bodily appearence. It represents that there is no ruler in the Universe.

Otherwise, we all know that he looked very handsome.
kalden yungdrung

odysseus wrote:The image of an "empty throne" is also an image of Buddha without his bodily appearence. It represents that there is no ruler in the Universe.

Otherwise, we all know that he looked very handsome.
There are rulers in the countless universa and one important one are the tri Murti of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva.
One rules creation, the other the "maintenance" and the last the destruction of creation.

Empty throne of the wrong self or that the mind is not created, that seems to be for me clear here.
Tongnyid Dorje

Post by Tongnyid Dorje »

Actually there is a story of monk, who was about to reach an arahantship and Mara wanted to create him some obstacles. I dont remeber details,just that the monk forced Mara to show him, how Buddha looked like. So Mara transformed himself in to the Buddha and monk started prostrated to him. Mara said that it isnt apropriate. Monk explained, that he is not prostrating to Mara, but to the Buddha. Something like this. May be someone knows better this story... Anyway, from that time we know, how Buddha looks like. :smile:
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

kalden yungdrung wrote:
odysseus wrote:The image of an "empty throne" is also an image of Buddha without his bodily appearence. It represents that there is no ruler in the Universe.
There are rulers in the countless universa and one important one are the tri Murti of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva.
One rules creation, the other the "maintenance" and the last the destruction of creation.
Yeah, those rulers are local only. There is no supreme god.
kalden yungdrung

odysseus wrote:
kalden yungdrung wrote:
Yeah, those rulers are local only. There is no supreme god.
This is not so clear to me, please explain it better.

- What is local ruler
- What / who is a surpreme God ?
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

kalden yungdrung wrote: - What is local ruler
I meant a local ruler is a god somewhere who rules his planet.

A supreme god claims he is the creator of the Universe. That's the reason for the empty throne: There is no creator god sitting on the throne.
kalden yungdrung

odysseus wrote:
kalden yungdrung wrote: - What is local ruler
I meant a local ruler is a god somewhere who rules his planet.

A supreme god claims he is the creator of the Universe. That's the reason for the empty throne: There is no creator god sitting on the throne.
Thanks for your reply.

If i understood it well, then there is no Surpreme God who can claim he is the creator of the Universa, whereas the Hindhus claim Brahma would create this all.

Ok that i can follow easy.

- What is then in your vision /opinion the "cause" of this creation ?
- Do you believe in the big bang theory ?
muni

Post by muni »

I am wondering how “Buddha” would teach regarding statues-Images. Isn’t it said the Perfect Buddha Body is not to find in an image? Diamond sutra?

Even the images or statues with the expression, the mudras are inspiring, the meaning of “Buddha” cannot be captured in an image.
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

odysseus wrote:I meant a local ruler is a god somewhere who rules his planet.

Actually, the reason the throne appears empty in early buddhist history is the same reason Jesus was also depicted with an empty throne, it was disrespectful in ancient India, and Jewish society to portray a teacher/God in statues/paintings. Hellenistic/Roman culture was the polar opposite.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

kalden yungdrung wrote:They did not brought their philosphy etc. to Punjab, but integrated there in the existing Religion.
Where do you come up with this stuff? The first officially Buddhist king of Bactria was Menander and that was in 155BC, some 100 years after the establishment of the Bactrian empire, originally a Hellenic empire. The conquerors brought their art, music, religion and culture with them when they established themselves. Yes, over time, their culture and religion changed, incorporating Buddhism, "Hinduism" and Zoroastrianism, but to say they did not bring their philosophy etc... is 100% untrue, especially when you look at the Hellenic influences on the art. Most representations of Buddha are based on Hellenic forms, before the Hellenes Buddha was never depicted pictorially or in sculpture.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
kalden yungdrung

Grigoris wrote:
kalden yungdrung wrote:They did not brought their philosphy etc. to Punjab, but integrated there in the existing Religion.
Where do you come up with this stuff? The first officially Buddhist king of Bactria was Menander and that was in 155BC, some 100 years after the establishment of the Bactrian empire, originally a Hellenic empire. The conquerors brought their art, music, religion and culture with them when they established themselves. Yes, over time, their culture and religion changed, incorporating Buddhism, "Hinduism" and Zoroastrianism, but to say they did not bring their philosophy etc... is 100% untrue, especially when you look at the Hellenic influences on the art. Most representations of Buddha are based on Hellenic forms, before the Hellenes Buddha was never depicted pictorially or in sculpture.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I meant mostly conquerors convert the occupied country to their belief, like Muslims and Christians. The Greece did not do that, like you explain, they integrated themselves with Buddhism etc., that was remarkable.

Sure they took their art etc. with them to Bactria and that can be seen in the art of Buddhist statues like that from Bamiyan , which was destroyed partly by the Taliban.

- What do you think did the Greece import the 5th element Aither, from the Buddhist emptiness philosophy?
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

kalden yungdrung wrote:
I meant mostly conquerors convert the occupied country to their belief, like Muslims and Christians. The Greece did not do that, like you explain, they integrated themselves with Buddhism etc., that was remarkable.
The greeks (or most of the Classical world) didn't really have a "religion" like it is thought of today, instead worshiped a loose collection of major and minor local gods, these cultures imported and exported gods like honey. That's why buddhism spread.
kalden yungdrung

tiagolps wrote:
kalden yungdrung wrote:
The greeks (or most of the Classical world) didn't really have a "religion" like it is thought of today, instead worshiped a loose collection of major and minor local gods, these cultures imported and exported gods like honey. That's why buddhism spread.
Is worshipping Gods not a religious act ? These Greece Gods had temples , a sign of religion.

Buddhism was spread by the countless discussions /debates the Buddha Shakyamuni won from his opponents .
The king was mostly here the judge, the looser party joined the winning party.
Here the Buddha always won those debates and so Buddhism became great and widespread.

King Millinda embraced the Buddhist faith. Maybe he became an Arhat.
The Greece develloped Buddha statues were spread via the trade routes, and via the monks who understood the Dharma.
So in this way, the Greece contributed in the spreading of Buddhism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milinda_Panha

Since Bactria the Greece in Athens, had instead 4 elements , 5 elements.
Is at the time of Socrates , Buddhist philosophy in Athens known ?
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

kalden yungdrung wrote:Is worshipping Gods not a religious act ? These Greece Gods had temples , a sign of religion.

Buddhism was spread by the countless discussions /debates the Buddha Shakyamuni won from his opponents .
The king was mostly here the judge, the looser party joined the winning party.
Here the Buddha always won those debates and so Buddhism became great and widespread.
Like I said they had an import/export religion, wherever greek/Roman culture went it took its gods with it, and got some new ones.

For example this is Vajrapani, seems familiar?

Nyedrag Yeshe

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe »

Greeks didn't have a centralized formal religion like today's Catholicism and EO. But they had some quite well-established cults in Temples, cities, and especially mystery cults, that functioned quite the way formalized religions does today. With doctrines, complex rites, plus the idea of salvation on the after-life etc.
We just cannot know details about them because it was considered sacrilegious to write down about Temple's rites, especially the related to the mysteries! The name "mystery" being self-explanatory!
We have more reliable resources on the Roman counterpart!

I know for example that normally Shiva was associated with Dionysius in Gandharan culture! They brought much of their religion and culture with them!
“Whatever has to happen, let it happen!”
“Whatever the situation is, it’s fine!”
“I really don’t need anything!
~Tsangpa Gyare Yeshe Dorje (1161-1211)
ओं पद्मोष्णीष विमले हूँ फट । ओं हनुफशभरहृदय स्वाहा॥
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔ ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Grigoris wrote:but to say they did not bring their philosophy etc... is 100% untrue, especially when you look at the Hellenic influences on the art.
Not to mention Hellenistic influence on Astrology, logic, and so on.
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

Nyedrag Yeshe wrote:Greeks didn't have a centralized formal religion like today's Catholicism and EO. But they had some quite well-established cults in Temples, cities, and especially mystery cults, that functioned quite the way formalized religions does today. With doctrines, complex rites, plus the idea of salvation on the after-life etc.
We just cannot know details about them because it was considered sacrilegious to write down about Temple's rites, especially the related to the mysteries! The name "mystery" being self-explanatory!

I know for example that normally Shiva was associated with Dionysius in Gandharan culture! They brought much of their religion and culture with them!
For example the Mithraic mysteries.

Nyedrag Yeshe

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe »

tiagolps wrote:
Nyedrag Yeshe wrote:Greeks didn't have a centralized formal religion like today's Catholicism and EO. But they had some quite well-established cults in Temples, cities, and especially mystery cults, that functioned quite the way formalized religions does today. With doctrines, complex rites, plus the idea of salvation on the after-life etc.

For example the Mithraic mysteries.
Yes, some of them may have held beliefs on rebirth and metempsychosis like the Orphic Mysteries, and Pythagorean philosophy!
“Whatever has to happen, let it happen!”
“Whatever the situation is, it’s fine!”
“I really don’t need anything!
~Tsangpa Gyare Yeshe Dorje (1161-1211)
ओं पद्मोष्णीष विमले हूँ फट । ओं हनुफशभरहृदय स्वाहा॥
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔ ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”