Buddhahood in This Life

oldbob

Re: Buddhahood in This Life

Post by oldbob »

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... xcerpt.pdf

More good words about Dzogchen. Thank you Malcolm. :twothumbsup:

Note:

"4. The topic of the words that disclose the context in order to conquer the syllables of the words."

Malcolm understands, and can explain how the Dzogchen words relate to each other and this is helpful. The book launch video is a well done short primer on the words of Dzogchen.

To paraphrase Malcolm, if these words inspire practice to go beyond the words, then there is benefit. :reading: :meditate: :buddha1:

This book will eventually be of great help to many. I look forward to the pdf being on the web in 20 years.

Good job Malcolm!

:namaste:
muni

Post by muni »

A work for the benefit of all must be appreciated!

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Boomerang

Post by Boomerang »

Malcolm wrote:Dear Friends:

We at Zangthal Editions are pleased to announce a book release event on December 14th, 2016, 6:00 PM EST, which will be streamed live on Facebook for the benefit of those of you who reside far away from Vermont (most of you.)
Malcolm,

What was the name of that group of people from the 1980's that you said behaved so strangely, 54 minutes into the video?
heart

Post by heart »

Boomerang wrote:
Malcolm wrote:Dear Friends:

We at Zangthal Editions are pleased to announce a book release event on December 14th, 2016, 6:00 PM EST, which will be streamed live on Facebook for the benefit of those of you who reside far away from Vermont (most of you.)
Malcolm,

What was the name of that group of people from the 1980's that you said behaved so strangely, 54 minutes into the video?
EST, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erhard_Seminars_Training is my guess.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
zenman

Post by zenman »

I didn't get from whom Malcolm got this lung. Khenpo Jigme Phuntsok, Taklung Tsetrul or someone else? A nice lecture.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

zenman wrote:I didn't get from whom Malcolm got this lung. Khenpo Jigme Phuntsok, Taklung Tsetrul or someone else? A nice lecture.
HH Taklung Tsetrul Dorjechang
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

ratna wrote:The ebook in PDF and other formats is available legally, which is very cool. Downloading illegal scans of Dharma books from Russian pirate sites is very uncool.

R
I am desperate to be cool! Note my modified post above, am I cool now?
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Not that difficult to figure out. Copyright law is pretty clear-cut about what is "fair use."
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

It's $21.49 on Amazon.com. That is quite affordable.
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

Josef wrote:I can't believe we even have to talk about pirating dharma books.
Just buy a copy, its worth it.
:good:

That said, there appears to be a difference between doing translations as a Dharma activity with the motivation to make appropriate teachings as available as possible, and on the other hand, doing translations with the motivation of only selling the translations to those who can afford them. Perhaps motivation matters, and affects both the translator, the translation and the reader. So from this point of view, perhaps one should be careful not just from whom one takes teachings, but also as to which translations one reads.

I certainly think that no one should ever take what is not offered freely.

For those who have spare money it is easy to buy everything. For those whose money goes to pay for food, shelter and medicine, it would be nice if Dharma was free.

In 100 years all translations are free. So maybe, for some, they just have to wait a little and come back next life.

:heart:
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

oldbob wrote:
That said, there appears to be a difference between doing translations as a Dharma activity with the motivation to make appropriate teachings as available as possible, and on the other hand, doing translations with the motivation of only selling the translations to those who can afford them.

If people want to wait 75 years for the copyright to expire, well....then they can upload Buddhahood as much as they like. In the meantime, it is in the interest of the continued production of good translations from Wisdom, Snow Lion/Shambhala, etc., that one should pay for the Dharma books that one wishes to own.

There is an additional benefit to the production of translations by professional Buddhist publishers — these books enter the Library of Congress. One cannot hope to see most independently published books there. They have strict rules about what books they accept and how to submit them.
Kris

Post by Kris »

Josef wrote:I can't believe we even have to talk about pirating dharma books.
Just buy a copy, its worth it.
:good:
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Norwegian wrote:It's $21.49 on Amazon.com. That is quite affordable.
It's less on abebooks.com (at least in US dollars)
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

oldbob wrote:
In 100 years all translations are free. So maybe, for some, they just have to wait a little and come back next life.

I believe current copyright is 70 years after the life of the author (which is why copyrights held by major corporations are questionable), ...so who knows, it might be more than 100 years.

If anyone really can't get together $20, they should request that their library buy a copy.
If they really can't afford $20 and their library won't buy a copy, they should inquire with their librarian about inter-library loan, or a related service like Link+ (not currently available on Link+, hopefully soon).
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

climb-up wrote:
oldbob wrote:

I believe current copyright is 70 years after the life of the author (which is why copyrights held by major corporations are questionable), ...so who knows, it might be more than 100 years.

If anyone really can't get together $20, they should request that their library buy a copy.
If they really can't afford $20 and their library won't buy a copy, they should inquire with their librarian about inter-library loan, or a related service like Link+ (not currently available on Link+, hopefully soon).
Or they should ask if somebody can buy it for them. ;)
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

Good postings all and from each viewpoint correct.

The problem is that some poor people do not have the strength of personality to ask that someone buy a book for them.

Some do not have a computer or easy internet access.

Some have never heard of the Library of Congress.

Some have never heard of Dharma Wheel or internet support groups.

Not everyone has these possibilities that we enjoy and take for granted.

From the viewpoint of the Theravada this issue is solved by there being huge amounts of free / low cost Dhamma publications available from many, many sources.

These publications are provided by sponsors who want to make the Dharma available because they feel that this is part of their practice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahmavihara

https://www.google.com/search?q=free+dh ... 8&oe=utf-8

There are over a million sources.

But this doesn't address the issue of whether a Mahayana / Vajrayana / Dzogchen, publisher / translator has the Dharma responsibility to provide for the poor.

My sense is that they do.

So it is suggested that there might be a two tier system of publishing.

1. A very high production value / high cost way of publishing that funds the translator's expenses, supports the large Buddhist publishing houses and supplies archival copies to the Library of Congress.

2. A no-frills, low production value / low cost way of publishing that can make Mahayana / Vajrayana / Dzogchen material available to the poor or disadvantaged, at low or no cost.

dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

oldbob wrote:Some have never heard of Dharma Wheel ...
:jawdrop:
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

oldbob wrote::namaste:

Well yes, but the people who do not have computers or internet connections will not be downloading illegal .pdf files either! :)
Wether people know about the library of congress or not I think most people, in the USA at least, know about libraries. I work with many people at the library who legitimately could not afford a $20 book, but we can get them books.
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
Josef

Post by Josef »

oldbob wrote::namaste:

Good postings all and from each viewpoint correct.

The problem is that some poor people do not have the strength of personality to ask that someone buy a book for them.

Some have never heard of Dharma Wheel or internet support groups.

Not everyone has these possibilities that we enjoy and take for granted.

From the viewpoint of the Theravada this issue is solved by there being huge amounts of free / low cost Dhamma publications available from many, many sources.

These publications are provided by sponsors who want to make the Dharma available because they feel that this is part of their practice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahmavihara

https://www.google.com/search?q=free+dh ... 8&oe=utf-8

There are over a million sources.

But this doesn't address the issue of whether a Mahayana / Vajrayana / Dzogchen, publisher / translator has the Dharma responsibility to provide for the poor.

My sense is that they do.

So it is suggested that there might be a two tier system of publishing.

1. A very high production value / high cost way of publishing that funds the translator's expenses, supports the large Buddhist publishing houses and supplies archival copies to the Library of Congress.

2. A no-frills, low production value / low cost way of publishing that can make Mahayana / Vajrayana / Dzogchen material available to the poor or disadvantaged, at low or no cost.

Lotsawa House
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa

Return to “Dzogchen”