Sarcasm

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
maybay

Sarcasm

Post by maybay »

Ayu wrote:
philji wrote:
Fortyeightvows wrote:
maybe this type of discrimination is worth examining.

and about the recorded teachings you wanted, ask around, I'd think that there would be someone who has them who'd be happy to share them you :cheers:
Of course... Go behind the teachers back, that's the way to do it.
Sarcasm?
(I'm sure it is. But I just like to point out, that it is always difficult to understand written sarcasm directly.)
I heard that sarcasm is something of a blind spot in German culture. Would you agree? Have you ever watched Month Python?
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Sarcasm

Post by Ayu »

Most Germans adore Monty Pythons.
But I live in a region where the natives do not understand any sarcasm or humor with a dry sense.
If I meet a person with humor, I immediatly can tell: this person isn't born in this region. :tongue:

But online it is different than in meatspace. I saw enough discussions and relationships derailing, because one side thought "Everybody must be able to understand my jokes", while the other side alleged them to have the worst intention. :shrug:
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

This is good to keep in mind where the audience is so diverse.

Personally, half the things that come out of my mouth are sarcasm or dry humor. Half are dead serious. And all of it is both.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

I always wondered this about parts of the US too.

Where I live now - The Pacific Northwest, people generally also do not understand sarcasm at all. I've heard it floated that it might be due to early Scandinavian influence.

One things for sure, moving from a high-sarcasm place to a low sarcasm one results in a lot of people thinking you crazy and/or mean.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Redfaery

Post by Redfaery »

I'm autistic, and I have a hard time picking up when people are being sarcastic. People also don't pick up when *I'm* being sarcastic, so I get told quite often by my family that I shouldn't make sarcastic jokes, since it's upsetting when they can't tell if I'm serious.

Yet everyone else in my family is free to still be as sarcastic as they like (and they're all QUITE sarcastic), even though I've been quite clear that I dislike their jokes just as much as they dislike mine. Oh well.
NAMO SARASWATI DEVI
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - GANDHI
I am a delicate feminine flower!!!!
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:I've heard it floated that it might be due to early Scandinavian influence.
I remember when the movie Fargo came out, the folks in Fargo generally missed the humor.

Coen bro movies are probably a good litmus test of your sense of humor.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Rick

Post by Rick »

Sarcasm was de rigueur where I grew up ... the metropolitan New York area. You had to be good at it to be accepted.

Then I lived in Germany, and no one got the humor so I pretty much dropped it.

Nowadays I choose not to indulge in sarcasm, because of how hurtful it can be.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

rachmiel wrote:Sarcasm was de rigueur where I grew up ... the metropolitan New York area. You had to be good at it to be accepted.

Then I lived in Germany, and no one got the humor so I pretty much dropped it.

Nowadays I choose not to indulge in sarcasm, because of how hurtful it can be.

I think this can be true. I appreciate how where I live now, everyone goes out of their way to be polite, it makes a difference.

On the other hand, it is also possible to be quite hurtful towards people by being cold, humorless, passive, and overly concerned with social propriety - something I have also experienced here from the same cultural currents that do not get sarcasm.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Sarcasm is completely alien to the Thai sense of humor, which I have found refreshing, as too much American sarcasm is a substitute for real wit or humor, and, as has been noted, is frequently simply condescending

"Irony, in the hands of a Disraeli, can be a formidable weapon. In the hands of a lout it is merely offensive."
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Yes, it depends, what the sarcastic person wants to say.
I find satire very refreshing sometimes, if it is made intelligently and if it is exposing unjustice by exaggeration.
steveb1

Post by steveb1 »

The only sarcasm I can tolerate, when directed at myself, is that special kind of sarcasm that may be called "understood sarcasm" - the kind directed between/among people who are close, and so "understand" that real trust and friendship lie behind the biting words. I find that sarcasm from strangers or from any unfairly-behaving others is almost always unwelcome as well as being a temptation to make a non-Dharmic reply-in-kind.

Return to “Lounge”