Steven Seagal

kalden yungdrung

Steven Seagal

Post by kalden yungdrung »

Tashi delek dear Nyingmapas,

Steven Seagal was recognised by H.H. Penor Rinpoche as a Tulku.
Steven SEagal.jpg
Steven SEagal.jpg (35.26 KiB) Viewed 7569 times
Do you know more about this ?

Mutsug Marro
KY
The best meditation is no meditation
swooping

Re: Steven Seagal

Post by swooping »

http://www.palyul.org/docs/statement.html
I know that Seagal has a reputation for lying about his history, abilities and influences and doing absolutely anything to increase his perceived status. According to Orville Schell he has "variously alluded to having been a member of the yakuza, a Zen adept, a CIA operative, a green beret and a Navy SEAL."

He also caught a lot of flack in mma more recently for claiming to have taught Anderson Silva how to do a high front kick, implying that he was the secret behind several high level fighters (this has been mocked by MANY fight experts) and there are dozens of stories on the internet from actors who have worked with him about him being an unbelievably arrogant control freak.

EDIT:
Sorry, I notice now that this was addressed to Nyingmapas (which I am not).
When I look inside and see that I am nothing, that is wisdom When I look outside and see that I am everything,that is love. And between these two, my life turns.
– Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat
- Ben Hecht
kalden yungdrung

swooping wrote:http://www.palyul.org/docs/statement.html
I know that Seagal has a reputation for lying about his history, abilities and influences and doing absolutely anything to increase his perceived status. According to Orville Schell he has "variously alluded to having been a member of the yakuza, a Zen adept, a CIA operative, a green beret and a Navy SEAL."

He also caught a lot of flack in mma more recently for claiming to have taught Anderson Silva how to do a high front kick, implying that he was the secret behind several high level fighters (this has been mocked by MANY fight experts) and there are dozens of stories on the internet from actors who have worked with him about him being an unbelievably arrogant control freak.

EDIT:

Tashi delek S,

Thanks as a non Nyingmapa for your useful information.
I saw that H.H. Penor Rinpoche did the recognition and that is for me enough to accept that as valid that he IS a Tulku.

By the way i like his style of Aiki do, he is realy good in this. Further a good Holywood actor, no doubt about it.
Then in how far he is developing Bodhi citta, i don`t know and i guess so that is very personal here, like everywhere.

Mutsug Marro
KY
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Perhaps the mods could root out some of the previous threads on Seagal.

In the meantime, I'll just take the opportunity to say that in the first place, tulku recognition is very questionable. One of my own closest teachers, shortly before he passed, recognized a (Western) person as a tulku only after the person in question had pestered him into doing so for a long time. Historically, there have been many, many examples of tulkus recognized by some very prominent teachers and disowned by others -- the Karmapa controversy being perhaps the most famous.

In the second place, being a "tulku" doess not necessarily work out to be something amazing and special. Even if one were to hypothetically accept that a person was a tulku (whatever that might mean to you), if one does not go through the relevant training, one would not be able to maximize one's capacity for benefiting beings, which is after all the primary reason for tulkus' existence.

You can admire Seagal's martial arts ability (acting, I'm not so sure about) without laying all kinds of metaphysical assumptions onto it. Deagal himself does not seem to be too interested in Buddhism anymore anyway.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

A cut and paste from the link provided above:
...a tulku needs to complete a formal course of training which includes years of study and meditation. This training reawakens the tulku's powers of insight and compassion and develops their skillful means for helping others. It is only after such training that a tulku is ready to take on the role of a teacher.

In the case of Steven Seagal, he has been formally recognized as a tulku, but has not been officially enthroned. He has also not undergone the lengthy process of study and practice necessary to fully realize what I view as his potential for helping others
That sort of diffuses the drama imo.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
BrianG

Post by BrianG »

phpBB [video]
Telepaths - I like to kill them
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

Don't really know why this has come up again at this time.
Here's what I know. Hollywood manufactures personalities.
The person behind the celebrity is rarely anything like the
that public persona. Not only was he recognized by H.H
but he has the general support of Palyul monks at Namdrolling.
They all love him. Of course, he also sponsors many things
for the monastery, the activity of HH Penor Rnpoche, and
presumably also the current Palyul throne-holder, the Karma Kuchen.
Son of Buddha

Post by Son of Buddha »

swooping wrote:http://www.palyul.org/docs/statement.html

EDIT:

Knew an old vet. Who swore on his lord and savior he met seagal in nam on a sog mission........... :shrug:
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Son of Buddha wrote: Knew an old vet. Who swore on his lord and savior he met seagal in nam on a sog mission........... :shrug:
Wiki says he was born in 1952. So it is possible, but just barely.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
kalden yungdrung

ngodrup wrote:Don't really know why this has come up again at this time.
Here's what I know. Hollywood manufactures personalities.
The person behind the celebrity is rarely anything like the
that public persona. Not only was he recognized by H.H
but he has the general support of Palyul monks at Namdrolling.
They all love him. Of course, he also sponsors many things
for the monastery, the activity of HH Penor Rnpoche, and
presumably also the current Palyul throne-holder, the Karma Kuchen.

Yes that`s what i know too, that Steven is supporting Nyingma, He can afford that and i see this as very positive karma, to feed the monks etc.
We have in Gelug also a Holywood star named Richard Gere and he is also supporting the Gelug with huge amounts of money.
Which Holywood movies do you like ? Well i like Steven Seagal movies :D

KY
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

kalden yungdrung wrote: Thanks as a non Nyingmapa for your useful information.
I saw that H.H. Penor Rinpoche did the recognition and that is for me enough to accept that as valid that he IS a Tulku.
I agree on this point. BUT - HHPR has many students who are basically tulku worshipers and that is not the point.

Having said that, we all need to develop positive qualities and minimize negative qualities.

As HH Karma Kuchen Rinpoche said do your practice and don't gossip (I mean this nicely).

kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
tyler2

Post by tyler2 »

seagal is very great legitamate martial artist/master, unfortunately most cannot see this because they dislike his character and think hes arrogant..
people have made tonnes of stories up about him because they "DISLIKE HIM".

this guy is VERY VERY great but most people cannot see this

many people dislike his character and thats where a lot of hate and fake stories comes from.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

tyler2 wrote:seagal is very great legitamate martial artist/master, unfortunately most cannot see this because they dislike his character and think hes arrogant..

many people dislike his character and thats where a lot of hate and fake stories comes from.
Perhaps,

But one thing is certain - at this point he has not yet lived up to his potential and he is not displaying extraordinary spiritual qualities. Sorry, but that is just the case. I wish him well and hope that one day he will be able to accomplish extraordinary spiritual activities.

Kirt
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
swooping

Post by swooping »

tyler2 wrote:seagal is very great legitamate martial artist/master, unfortunately most cannot see this because they dislike his character and think hes arrogant..

I think Steven Seagal is a legit martial artist, I was very impressed with a documentary I watched on his aikido years ago. Also, despite the lack of respect he gets from most mama fighters, Anderson Silva and Lyoto Machida both really do say that he helps them. Thats amazing.

But there are a lot of stories about him by people who don't really need to make stories up. John Leguizamo, Tom Arnold, Rob Schneider and Stephen Quadros have all worked with him and shared stories, and Orville Schnell (in "Virtual Tibet") talks about how odd he seemed, as well as scared people were to talk about him.
I'm not saying they're real, I don't know him or them, but what makes you so sure that they are fake? Do you know Seagal personally?
There are lot's of legit martial arts masters who are not nice people at all.

Again, I don't know him, I'm not saying he's a bad guy or that there isn't another side to all the stories about him, just curious why you're so certain the stories are not true.
When I look inside and see that I am nothing, that is wisdom When I look outside and see that I am everything,that is love. And between these two, my life turns.
– Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat
- Ben Hecht
tyler2

Post by tyler2 »

ive never met him but i recognize theres something very great about him (Karmic link?)and i also aware of many peoples dislike to him/his character, (he comes across arrogant but i dont think he means to)

Also about his claims being special agent etc
Look at the caliber of people he is close friends with such as Vladimir putin, presidnet of russia who is also a martial artist, they share interest in martial arts but i believe Putin also requested that Seagal be some kind of correspondant between america and russia, it Shows you the level of respect Putin had for him.

i believe he is still now the only foreigner to ever have his own dojo in Japan and the japanese hated americans/foreigners at that time this is immense respect from them
because he excelled so much at aikido (7th dan), the japanese who invented Judo, JuJitsu (known martial arts to work in mma) must have been very impressed with him
believe it or not Aikido is a art based on universal love and most people who have studied it dont believe in the mystical side.

Japan was very racist at the time because of the bombings of WW2, so yeah to let him have his own dojo shows you how good he was, it would not be unreasonable to assume he was member of the Yakuza.
Last edited by tyler2 on Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

Steven Seagal = Boss :guns:
Schrödinger’s Yidam

As far as a buddhist discussion board goes, the only relevant issue about him is his recognition as a tulku by Penor R. The link provided above explains that "recognition" is not an endorsement of his qualities as a teacher. He would have to undergo the proper training for that, and he has not done so afaik.

If anyone likes him, or admires him, or likes his acting, or admires his accomplishments as a marital artist, or appreciates his generosity to monasteries, they are entitled to their personal opinions. However that is far different than saying he has been endorsed to actively teach Buddhadharma. He has not. Again; he has not done the proper training for that (afaik).
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

T. Chokyi wrote:SHOULD YOU CHIME IN ON THIS?
No, I shouldn't. I am not a Nyingmapa and whether or not Steven Seagal has been correctly identified as a tulku makes no difference to me or my practice...

What?
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

T. Chokyi wrote:SHOULD YOU CHIME IN ON THIS?

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live ... is/2941773
Yes - most Western tulkus have been disappointments. At the very least they could be inspirational due to an unfeigned display of one positive quality, Most haven't engaged in serious practice and only some have engaged in serious training. This is very disappointing. They need to pull their heads out of their rectums and display one good quality in great abundance. Most just display bull-headedness and an attachment to status.

In the case of Steven Seagal he has demonstrated impressive generosity. But it has been mixed with embarrassing events, some taken from earlier in his life but some taken from after the time he was recognized. So going forward, his life must be impeccable.

Kir

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Nyingma”