Chod Damaru vs standard Damaru

RoadToPines

Chod Damaru vs standard Damaru

Post by RoadToPines »

It's time to buy a damaru, and I see at least two different types being sold (besides the small ones). What's the functional difference between a chod damaru and regular damaru?

Is it permissible to use a chod damaru for any practice/ceremony such as Throma or other deity practices? (Assuming one has the necessary transmissions for the practices.)
Tsultrim T.

Re: Chod Damaru vs standard Damaru

Post by Tsultrim T. »

No they are for different purposes and not interchangeable.
RoadToPines

Post by RoadToPines »

Tsultrim T. wrote:No they are for different purposes and not interchangeable.
Thank you. So what distinguishes a 'chod' damaru from a regular one? Are there other kinds as well?
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Chod damarus are bigger. Therefore, they can be played more slowly, to keep rhythm with the liturgy. They have a deeper, lower pitch as well.

Regular Damarus are used sometimes to keep rhythm, if one is practicing alone, but more often they are used for specific musical sections involved with your sadhana, invocation, offerings, Tashi, etc. For some practices, only the Vajra Master uses a damaru in group practice, while for other group practices every participant should have a damaru and play it appropriately.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

At a center I visited recently, I noticed a type of damaru that differed from the usual skull or skull-shaped wood ones (the kind with corners) in that it was small--maybe six or eight cm (3-4 in) in diameter--but round like a chod damaru. I'd never seen one like this before. Ideas on what that's about?
Tsultrim T.

Post by Tsultrim T. »

DGA wrote:At a center I visited recently, I noticed a type of damaru that differed from the usual skull or skull-shaped wood ones (the kind with corners) in that it was small--maybe six or eight cm (3-4 in) in diameter--but round like a chod damaru. I'd never seen one like this before. Ideas on what that's about?
This sounds like a Bonpo style damaru. Not commonly used in practices of the Buddhist schools. Also often times the best damarus or chod drums have mantras inscribed on the inner vessel parts which correspond to specific lineages and practices. Another reason why one would not want to interchange them.
Lukeinaz

Post by Lukeinaz »

So just to be clear a chod drum should not be used for other practices as mentioned above? Also can someone please recommend a good place to purchase one. Thanks!
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

If one, understand certain circumstances, can't buy a damaru, can they use a substitute like a different drum(such as Korean Janggu)? Or no need and just do the prayers?
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Tenma wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:14 pm If one, understand certain circumstances, can't buy a damaru, can they use a substitute like a different drum(such as Korean Janggu)? Or no need and just do the prayers?
My teachers have told me the drums, horns, etc. are all completely optional.
schubertian

Post by schubertian »

I could not tell you where the best place to purchase one would be but if I were you I would try some out and see what feels right before buying - if that is an option for you. I have a monster damaru that I got years ago from Sharchen and ChNN blessed it so now I use that - but if I had to do it over again I would have chosen something a little smaller and lighter.

I noticed the Ngagpa Yeshe Dorje had a small stick which he used to balance the large and heavy drum on as he performed chod. He was getting older at that point (1993?) but even The Terminator's hand and arm would get tired after 2 hours I suspect.

It takes some time to learn how to play it at the (slow) speed. It takes some time to add the bell to that. And the kangling. And all the words of the sadhana etc etc.
Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

I have heard these are made authentically: https://www.damaruworks.com/damaru/

DS
Homage to the Precious Dzogchen Master
🙏🌺🙏 Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
🙏🌺🙏
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

A bro bought one here at the chagdud gonpa

https://tibetantreasures.com/collections/drums

The cheapest is ok. The 500usd seems great.

Another choice can be

https://akaracollection.com/products/chod-damaru

Or you can ask a DW fellow that haves one for sale, want to travel to Nepal, etc.i got mine that way.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
aussiebloke

Post by aussiebloke »

Dudjom tradition of Troma uses the chod drum in its liturgies.
schubertian

Post by schubertian »

And Potala Gate seems to have some beautiful drums and reasonably priced:

https://potalagate.com/search?q=chod

But I agree with TA - not at all necessary for the practice, really - but very effective for driving the neighbors mad.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

RoadToPines wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:03 pmIs it permissible to use a chod damaru for any practice/ceremony such as Throma or other deity practices? (Assuming one has the necessary transmissions for the practices.)
I was under the impression that Throma practice is a chod practice.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Sherab Rigdrol

Post by Sherab Rigdrol »

Thomas Amundsen wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:14 pm
Tenma wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:14 pm If one, understand certain circumstances, can't buy a damaru, can they use a substitute like a different drum(such as Korean Janggu)? Or no need and just do the prayers?

I agree and have heard the same, however I was told directly by Drupon Lama Karma that a Chod Damaru was absolutely required for wrathful Chod.

Hope this helps!
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Sherab Rigdrol wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:13 am
I agree and have heard the same, however I was told directly by Drupon Lama Karma that a Chod Damaru was absolutely required for wrathful Chod.

Hope this helps!
What's wrathful Chod? The context of what I said previously was Dudjom Troma.
schubertian

Post by schubertian »

Grigoris wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:52 pm
RoadToPines wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:03 pmIs it permissible to use a chod damaru for any practice/ceremony such as Throma or other deity practices? (Assuming one has the necessary transmissions for the practices.)
I was under the impression that Throma practice is a chod practice.
My impression is that the question is "Is it permissible to buy only a single damaru that I can use for both Troma (who is wrathful no doubt - it's her name!) as well as other deity practices, and invocations, and so on??" - I'm no lama but I would say that you are going to have an awfully sore hand if you do that - buy a second damaru that is small if you would like to use it for other practices.

Here's a sheep damaru you could use for that - but it will set you back $$$
https://potalagate.com/products/1186449458
Kris

Post by Kris »

I have a chod damaru for sale at discount if anyone is interested.
drum.jpg
drum.jpg (314.92 KiB) Viewed 4381 times
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Sherab Rigdrol

Post by Sherab Rigdrol »

Thomas Amundsen wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:26 am
Sherab Rigdrol wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:13 am

Hope this helps!
What's wrathful Chod? The context of what I said previously was Dudjom Troma.
He didn't go into specifics. I had asked him if damaru and kangling were necessary for Chod and that's what he said.

Return to “Dzogchen”