Enlightenment story of the Buddha in a sutra?

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
Phenomniverse

Enlightenment story of the Buddha in a sutra?

Post by Phenomniverse »

I'm looking for a primary source (ie a sutra) in english which succinctly describes the enlightenment of the buddha under the bodhi tree. Can anyone suggest which sutra I should be looking for?
dzogchungpa

Re: Enlightenment story of the Buddha in a sutra?

Post by dzogchungpa »

You can find some references to Pali Suttas here:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/buddha.html

For a Mahayana sutra you could try:
http://read.84000.co/#!ReadingRoom/UT22084-046-001/0
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Phenomniverse wrote:I'm looking for a primary source (ie a sutra) in english which succinctly describes the enlightenment of the buddha under the bodhi tree. Can anyone suggest which sutra I should be looking for?

Laliltavistara Sutra:

http://read.84000.co/#!ReadingRoom/UT22084-046-001/0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Phenomniverse

Post by Phenomniverse »

Thanks guys, I appreciate the assistance. :thanks:
Ghid

Post by Ghid »

I know that Buddhism has many Buddhas. The Larger Sutra of Immeasurable Life has a long list of Buddhas. Chinese restaurants normally have a statue of the Lucky Buddha and a picture of the Business Buddha.

Does the title, the Buddha, always mean Siddhārtha Gautama?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Ghid wrote:I know that Buddhism has many Buddhas. The Larger Sutra of Immeasurable Life has a long list of Buddhas. Chinese restaurants normally have a statue of the Lucky Buddha and a picture of the Business Buddha.

Normally it does, unless one talks about the Buddha Amitabha, for example. But, yes, normally, when we say "the Buddha" it is Buddha Siddhatha Gautama that is meant.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Ghid

Post by Ghid »

Sherab Dorje wrote:
Ghid wrote:I know that Buddhism has many Buddhas. The Larger Sutra of Immeasurable Life has a long list of Buddhas. Chinese restaurants normally have a statue of the Lucky Buddha and a picture of the Business Buddha.

Normally it does, unless one talks about the Buddha Amitabha, for example. But, yes, normally, when we say "the Buddha" it is Buddha Siddhatha Gautama that is meant.

Thank you. I should have said that sooner, so for you, I have a haiku. The seventh grade history text said that Romans were the first to use camels on the silk road.

Globalization:
Romans used camels to get
it over the hump.

Return to “Sūtra Studies”