Minimum prerequisites for physical karmamudra practice?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
ConradTree

Minimum prerequisites for physical karmamudra practice?

Post by ConradTree »

My understanding is that both people should be nonmonks, and both people should have the correct empowerments.

I believe these are the only formal prerequisites.

What do you think?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Minimum prerequisites for physical karmamudra practice?

Post by Grigoris »

I think you should ask your teacher.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

ConradTree wrote:My understanding is that both people should be nonmonks, and both people should have the correct empowerments.

What do you think?

And they should be between the ages of 16 and 26, since the channels, cakras and elements begin to deteriorate after this point.
ConradTree

Post by ConradTree »

Malcolm wrote:
ConradTree wrote:My understanding is that both people should be nonmonks, and both people should have the correct empowerments.

What do you think?

And they should be between the ages of 16 and 26, since the channels, cakras and elements begin to deteriorate after this point.
Is this age thing a requirement or a recomendation?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

ConradTree wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

What do you think?

Is this age thing a requirement or a recomendation?
You can try, but the main reason most people do not do consort practice is that they are too old.
ConradTree

Post by ConradTree »

Ok thanks.

This should clear up some confusion other people have.
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

Malcolm wrote:

What do you think?

This last from Malcolm is what I have read. Now, the question-- how would a monastic, in a Sarma tradition that
emphasizes sutrayana training and scholarship accomplish Kye-rim such as to be qualified before age 26? At what
age are most granted either Khenpo or Geshe degrees? For a completely different take, it might be useful to read
Nyingma sources such as commentaries on the Mindrolling Vajrasattva.

I have also read that at the beginning of your practice, your Root Lama ascertains whether having a physical consort
is required in your case. If so the Lama will find and recommend him or her to you. So there are two points-- this
aspect of practice is not self directed and suggests that one pursuing a yogic path rather than an academic one.
ConradTree

Post by ConradTree »

A monastic has to give up his monkhood.

This is not rocket science people.
Pero

Post by Pero »

Malcolm wrote:

What do you think?

God dammit man, couldn't you have said something sooner? Now my dream is ruined. :crying:
j/k
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Malcolm wrote: And they should be between the ages of 16 and 26, since the channels, cakras and elements begin to deteriorate after this point.
What about all those old Lama's taking on young consorts? Often after never having done consort practice before. Does that mean the purpose is different for them or are their prana and channels young like a 16 year olds?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Clarence wrote:
Malcolm wrote: And they should be between the ages of 16 and 26, since the channels, cakras and elements begin to deteriorate after this point.
What about all those old Lama's taking on young consorts? Often after never having done consort practice before. Does that mean the purpose is different for them or are their prana and channels young like a 16 year olds?
They do so for life extension.
ConradTree

Post by ConradTree »

Assuming both people are nonmonks and have the correct empowerments, does one need oral instruction on the practice?

Or can one proceed from reading texts?
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Malcolm wrote:
Clarence wrote:
They do so for life extension.
Why? How does it lengthen their life? Does it make the channels and so on younger?
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Clarence wrote:Why? How does it lengthen their life? Does it make the channels and so on younger?
pic.jpg
pic.jpg (16.06 KiB) Viewed 6049 times
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

ConradTree wrote:Assuming both people are nonmonks and have the correct empowerments, does one need oral instruction on the practice?

:rolling:

You're joking, right?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
ConradTree

Post by ConradTree »

Sherab Dorje wrote: You're joking, right?

No joking here.

Whats wrong with trying to learn?
Last edited by ConradTree on Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ConradTree

Post by ConradTree »

ConradTree wrote:

Assuming both people are nonmonks and have the correct empowerments, does one need oral instruction on the practice?

bump for a response
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

ConradTree wrote:
ConradTree wrote:

bump for a response
You need an explanation.
ConradTree

Post by ConradTree »

Malcolm wrote:
You need an explanation.
Ok thanks. This should help a lot of people.
ConradTree

Post by ConradTree »

And you said that if one person has empowerments, and the other person doesn't, they are not allowed to have even ordinary sex:

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 200#p57200

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 200#p57288

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 200#p57290

Is that right?

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”