who is the Greatest master you have ever seen?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: who is the Greatest master you have ever seen?

Post by kirtu »

narraboth wrote: Moreover, when I was in the teaching of one of them, crazy ideas start to jump up in my head such as 'he looks old' 'his face is ....' I didn't really think that way, but it's like it just appeared in my mind, and the more I tried to surpress them the more they come up.
I was worried and upset, I asked another great lama, recently passed Karma Chagmed rinpoche. I said I was scared that I was breaking samaya. He answered me with great kindness: it's not a big problem, it's just because of some karma. Practice refuge and it will be fine.

Now I don't have that problem anymore. When I think of the two lama, I feel gratitude for their kindness and I rejoice my good luck to have met them.
Something similar happened with me with the first Tibetan lama I took refuge with. I was extremely verbally abused growing up (after 13) and would sometimes have negative and sometimes violent images arising in my mind. So this happened in the teaching just after I took refuge with this lama. After a short time, the lama looked right at me and so did the translating khenpo. I was embarrassed and began immediately thinking little stuff like "may his feet be warm", "may he be free of all harm", "may his food be delicious", etc. Doing this I was able to concentrate on the teaching and cause these images to abate. This kind of thing has never happened since - ie. negative imagery arising in my mind was no more from when I awoke the next day, and I also was enveloped in a kind of euphoria that lasted about three days, similar to the effects of leaving a long term Zen retreat but more intense.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
culadharma

Post by culadharma »

Aura?Even the demon god Mara has a very powerful aura. :rolling:

When Geshe Lama Konchog was alive,most people,even his close student Tenzin Zopa did not realize Geshe Lama Konchog was as special as he was.He was so simple,"less famous" and "ordinary" for our deluded standards.

Vicki Mackenzie had also met Geshe Lama Konchog before
What was astonishing was that I had actually known Geshe Lama Konchog from my visits to Kopan Monastery in Kathmandu, Nepal, for various Buddhist meditation courses and events. Geshe Lama
Konchog was no well-known Buddhist saint—his legacy was hardly known outside Kopan Monastery—nor had he been dead long enough for anyone to launch a cottage industry around his relics. I knew he had spent decades meditating in Tsum, a remote mountainous region in northeast Nepal, but frankly, he had not struck me as anyone special. I had often seen him shuffling around Kopan in scruffy robes, his craggy, weatherworn face looking rather gruff and unwelcoming. On the few occasions when I had visited him in his small room to ask a dharma question,his replies had been blunt and brief. To all external appearances, at least, he wasn’t anything extraordinary.

jeweled demise
VICKI MACKENZIE
However,he showed extraordinary signs of a mahasidda at the time of( and after) his death,manifested thousands of relics.Exactly what had been mentioned in the biography of great ancient saints like Gampopa,and the Karmapas.Lama Zopa Rinpoche said that Geshe Lama Konchog actually reached "the unified state"(complete enlightenment).

Greatest masters don't need to impress every people just to show their qualities.

A charlatan,a hypocrite,a dictator can also be extremely charming and charismatic in our mortal eyes.

If we do not have enough merit,even a buddha stands in front of us we cannot recognize him.
lorem

Post by lorem »

I saw His Holiness in Long Beach. Didn't get to meet him. He actually seems quite ordinary person though very funny.

Geshe Ngawang Dakpa is another person who I think is bodhisattva but H E Choden Rinpoche would know better.

Old school Kadam masters.

EDIT got to touch Yangsi Rinpoche's robe in Long Beach (sound Old Testament)
----
Yangsi Kalu Rinpoche he was cool. I like him cause he likes de cool music.
----
Also Dzatrul Rinpoche
I should be meditating.
Silent Bob

Post by Silent Bob »

I've had the enormous good fortune to have spent time with a few of the greatest lamas of the 20th century and above all the blessing and influence of Rangjung Rigpe Dorje HHK 16 has been unceasing.

Chris
"All the sublime teachings, so profound--to throw away one and then grab yet another will not bear even a single fruit. Persevere, therefore, in simply one."
--Dudjom Rinpoche, "Nectar for the Hearts of Fortunate Disciples. Song No. 8"
Luke

Post by Luke »

I have had the good fortune of meeting many great lamas, and I don't want to say that one is better than the others, but I will add one name here which I don't think has been mentioned yet: H.E. Choekyi Nangwa Rinpoche. He is a great Jonang lama and he sometimes visits Europe (or at least used to). He has both a powerful presence and he cares deeply about all the people he encounters. He is a very good role model for anyone following a Mahayana or Vajrayana path. :namaste:

http://www.jonangmonasteryshimla.com/H. ... angpa.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”