Eckart Tolle - master of the park bench

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
padma norbu

Re: Eckart Tolle - master of the park bench

Post by padma norbu »

Simon E. wrote:
muni wrote:Thanks for the words about tolerance.

I feel discussions like these are a help in warning us for extremism and there is no buddhism possible which is extremist. If we exclude others, there is the independent self.

There is not so much need to examine the talk in a way of being right or wrong, so I wrote he is called spiritual master and not buddhist. Regarding "our own disturbed mind which is the real danger" I meant own mind. I don’t say your or their or his or her mind. This as clarification for my earlier post. Sorry for messy-ness.

Then those who have understood the meaning of the buddha can see teaching in all without any thing which need to be divided.

Peace.
Which ids of course a triumphalist position which sees itself as superior, and sees the advocacy of plain buddhism as 'extreme '.
This is a very strange complaint. I am pretty sure Muni will not say that Buddhism is extreme or that "his" view is superior. He will say his view is that of the Buddha and, far from being extreme, I am quite sure he will say this view is superior. Do you not agree Buddha's view is superior?
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Berry

Post by Berry »

padma norbu wrote:
This is a very strange complaint. I am pretty sure Muni will not say that Buddhism is extreme or that "his" view is superior. He will say his view is that of the Buddha and, far from being extreme, I am quite sure he will say this view is superior. Do you not agree Buddha's view is superior?
I get the impression that Muni is a woman expressing opinions and not a man. I may be wrong of course...

:geek:
Leave the polluted water of conceptual thoughts in its natural clarity. Without affirming or denying appearances, leave them as they are. When there is neither acceptance nor rejection, mind is liberated into mahāmudra.

~ Tilopa
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Berry wrote:
padma norbu wrote:

I get the impression that Muni is a woman expressing opinions and not a man. I may be wrong of course...
Probably right, but I just use grammatical conventions whenever sex is not known. Sadly, we live in a male-oriented society. Makes sense, too... because I tend to like women much more than men.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

A)I don't recognise your use of ' complaint ' in this context.
B) does who recognise the Buddhas superiority ?
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Simon E. wrote:A)I don't recognise your use of ' complaint ' in this context.
A) is it not a complaint that you see this as a "triumphalist view" which subjugates Buddhism to an "extremist" position? Sure sounds like a complaint.
B) You. Do you recognize the Buddha's views as superior views?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

padma norbu wrote:Am I the only one who needs to provide proof? Find it yourself with the aid of Google.
So you admit that you have not read the Agama Sutra, ie you are quoting or using as proof a text that you have no idea about and have never read.
No, you have made a statement that you have not backed with proof. You ask me for proof, I am asking you for proof. Prove it.
I'm going to humor you and give you three to start with to start with, from there on you can easily find more and benefit from reading them:
Ananda Sutta
Santaka Sutta
Upaddha Sutta
Here are a list of questions you have not answered:

1. Is compassion 1 of the 84,000 doors?
As part of the contemplation on the Brahma Viharas, yes. (Just in case you didn't notice, that's a fourth Dharma door right there). As a stand alone quality? I believe: No more so than any other of the wholesome states of mind.
2. What is the method for teaching a donkey?...
Being an ass? Sorry, but that is just a ridiculous question and completely irrelevant to our discussion.
3. If the enlightening beings have mastered the 84,000 doors, why did enlightenment still escape them?
The questions just gets worse...
4. Is this teaching right or wrong and by what definitive grounds do you say so?:
"The 84,000 dharma doors mentioned in the Buddha Dharma are made available for the purpose of saving and taking across the 84,000 kinds of living beings. In reality, in the mind of any common person there exist these 84,000 kinds of living beings. Why is it so? This is because these 84,000 kinds of living beings dwell within one’s consciousness, constantly revolving around the 6 paths of rebirth." (which seems to agree with the Flower Ornament Scripture and the Nirvana Scripture)
- http://www.drbachinese.org/branch/CTTB/ ... rma161.htm
I see no grounds for disagreement.

Anyway, I'm thoroughly bored with the meandering (and in most parts circular) nature of this discussion.

From me:

phpBB [video]
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

padma norbu wrote:
A) is it not a complaint that you see this as a "triumphalist view" which subjugates Buddhism to an "extremist" position? Sure sounds like a complaint.
It's not a complaint.its an observation.
Superior to what ?

padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Sherab Dorje wrote:
padma norbu wrote:Am I the only one who needs to provide proof? Find it yourself with the aid of Google.
So you admit that you have not read the Agama Sutra, ie you are quoting or using as proof a text that you have no idea about and have never read.
No, I didn't admit that, did I? Gonna have to report you for the 5th time today. Surprised you survived the first three. Isn't it three strikes you're out?

I think it would be more fun to not read the rest of your post and just leave it at this. :shrug:
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Simon E. wrote:
padma norbu wrote:
It's not a complaint.its an observation.
Superior to what ?
- so you have no problem with it, just thought you would point it out because it's great?
- superior to all other views
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

padma norbu wrote:No, I didn't admit that, did I?
So please quote the relevant passage from the Sutra.
Gonna have to report you for the 5th time today. Surprised you survived the first three. Isn't it three strikes you're out?
Only if the reports have any sort of validity and are not just being used as a means to win a losing argument. ;)
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Sherab Dorje wrote:
I'll get right back to you on this as soon as you address my previous requests.
Sherab Dorje wrote:
Gonna have to report you for the 5th time today. Surprised you survived the first three. Isn't it three strikes you're out?
Only if the reports have any sort of validity and are not just being used as a means to win a losing argument. ;)
Should be... you're pulling the same shit I got a warning for. Worse, actually. Since I have no other recourse, I've resorted to reporting you instead... FIVE TIMES! It's supposed to be THREE TIMES you're OUT. Kinda bullshit if you're getting away with being [the way you are] because you were once a mod, don't ya think?
Last edited by padma norbu on Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I don't 'have a problem ' with it. I do think it's worth pointing out that it is not as tolerant as it first appears.
Universalism is the ultimate negation of the worth of any creed.

Buddhadharma does not reduce to views. Superior or otherwise.

padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Simon E. wrote:I don't 'have a problem ' with it. I do think it's worth pointing out that it is not as tolerant as it first appears.

Seemed very tolerant to me, especially on further inspection.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

padma norbu wrote:
Sherab Dorje wrote:
I'll get right back to you on this as soon as you address my previous requests.
Sherab Dorje wrote:[
Should be... same shit I got a warning for. I have no recourse to actually respond to you in kind, so I've resorted to reporting you instead. Kinda bullshit if you're getting away with being [the way you are] because you were once a mod, don't ya think?
I have had my differences with Greg/SD..but that is an outrageous accusation.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

padma norbu wrote:
Simon E. wrote:I don't 'have a problem ' with it. I do think it's worth pointing out that it is not as tolerant as it first appears.

Seemed very tolerant to me, especially on further inspection.
Well we differ then don't we ?

padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Simon E. wrote: I have had my differences with Greg/SD..but that is an outrageous accusation.

No it isn't... and I've seen your dialog with him on the V forum, so kudos to you on calling him out on all of that!
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

My exchanges with Greg have not been posited on a failure to understand his point...so your kudos are unwanted.

padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Simon E. wrote:My exchanges with Greg have not been posited on a failure to understand his point...so your kudos are unwanted.
That does not seem to actually jibe with this particular exchange (in which you are WONDERFUL, by the way, and quite accurate)...

Simon E. wrote:
You have spent years, literally years, sowing the wind. You are reaping the whirlwind.
You are hoist with your own petard.

Sherab Dorje: Sorry dude, but I can't help you.

Simon E. wrote:
Clearly. More to the point you seem unable to help yourself.

^ QFT
Last edited by padma norbu on Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

You should also realize that I banned myself from this website for a full year and I have no intentions of being unfairly treated. If I get 2 more warnings for this conversation and suspended, so be it. I will say my goodbyes in advance. There is no shame in that. I have already been vindicated. It is really just a matter of politics now since I am *possibly* not following the Terms of Service... but, what's the point if Sherab Dorje doesn't have to, right? Like I said: "kinda bullshit." I don't need to be in that environment of mediocrity where such bullshit reigns.

Happy New Year.
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

I'm bored. Can I join your squabble?

Return to “Media”