Thomas Cleary died last week

Recommend, review and discuss dharma books here.
Genjo Conan

Thomas Cleary died last week

Post by Genjo Conan »

I don't believe I've seen this posted here: then prolific translator Thomas Cleary died on June 20, 2021. Because he produced so many translations, the quality of his work was--I believe necessarily--mixed, but his best work is essential. I've got at least three of his translations on my shelf, and I'm probably forgetting a few. May he be free from suffering.
FiveSkandhas

Re: Thomas Cleary died last week

Post by FiveSkandhas »

This is sad news. He was a pioneer and a seminal figure. His work played an important part in my own early years of Buddhist study, although like many over time I came to have less faith in his translation powers. But let's face it...he was often operating in uncharted waters before certain terms and conventions became standardized.

He will be missed.
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Great Being
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

He made many important texts accessible to Westerners. He will be missed.

Om mani padme hum
Kathy
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

Rest in peace.
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Many contributions, and modest about them.
laic

Post by laic »

I have just seen this. One of Thomas Cleary's books I must mention is in fact not simply a translation as such, but a commentary. This is on the Dhammapada, which though part of the Theravada Canon of Scripture has obviously crossed boundaries into all expressions of the Dharma. What is fine about Mr Cleary's commentary is that it draws mainly upon Mahayana insights into the text. Mr Cleary quotes various zen masters and many Mahayana texts in order to offer his commentary.

I picked up the book once in a little second hand bookshop. A paperback, it had a brittle and split spine and soon pages were falling out. A few years ago I was able to obtain a better copy via Amazon.

Return to “Book Reviews”