A Trip to Nangchen

Recommend, review and discuss dharma books here.
SilenceMonkey

A Trip to Nangchen

Post by SilenceMonkey »

"A Trip to Nangchen" by Konchok Jungney (a.k.a. Joshua Kinney)

The author is an american yogi based in Beijing. The first chapter is about an extraordinary Hungarian yogi named Peter who was a student of Khenpo Munsel Rinpoche and Adeu Rinpoche, and lived for 9 years in a cave behind Khenpo Munsel Rinpoche's gompa. (he passed away last year, in his 50's) The rest of the book seems to be about the author's own spiritual journey, with the final chapter full of amazing stories of Joshua's master Pema Dorje, translated as "Thunder Lotus," a great Dzogchen master in Nangchen.

This book is a culmination of 10 years of writing. For me, this book is a deeply spiritual and vibrant journey as expressed by a modern seeker immersed in the yogi spirit. Just read some of the excerpt and you'll see what kind of a book it is. (Apple Books version is on the way)

Not much of a review because I haven't read more than a few pages... but in just those few pages, I was blown away. This kind of book is truly incredible and chock full of the yogi spirit!

SilenceMonkey

Re: A Trip to Nangchen

Post by SilenceMonkey »

Sorry, a couple corrections about Peter. He was in Tibet for more than ten years, and most of that time was in Nangchen with Adeu Rinpoche. And he passed away in his late 40's.

Joshua said I'm welcome to link to his facebook for photo viewing. He posted many precious photos related to the book.

https://www.facebook.com/joshua.kinney.5249
jamesrigzin

Re: A Trip to Nangchen

Post by jamesrigzin »

Yes - this memoir is fantastic.

He's got an interesting and unique writing style - and I think he needs an editor! :rolling:

I wish I could edit this modern day version of a namthar.

Return to “Book Reviews”