Books / Publications / Translations - Where to Find or Buy?

Recommend, review and discuss dharma books here.
AmidaB

Re: Books / Publications / Translations - Where to Find or Buy?

Post by AmidaB »

Tashi Delek!

I would like to make contact with the publisher(s)/maintainer(s) and/or translator(s) of the 'Buddhavisions' site. Any help, suggestion, alternative recommendation would be greatly appreciated.
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

Does anyone know of book editions contanining the English translation of the Autocommentary of Candrakirti's Madhyamakāvatāra, also known as the Madhyamakāvatāra-Bhāṣya?

I've found commentaries by Ju Mipham, Ninth Karmapa's abridgement of the commentary by Eighth Karmapa Mikyo Dorje, Je Tsongkhapa, and others, but I'm interested in Candrakirti's own autocommentary to his work. Thanks in advance.
Looking but not seeing - that's my eye.
Thinking but not minding - that's my mind.
Speaking but not expressing - that's my tongue.
Traveling but not going - that's my path.
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

Been looking for the book "Mountain Doctrine" by Jeffrey Hopkins, on "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning" by Dolpopa.

Has this work been translated or published under a different company? I suppose it's not part of the works in "The Buddha from Dölpo? In any case, as most will be aware, it's not available at Shambhala (sold out or out of print I guess) and therefore it's very hard to find and very often with a prohibitive price.

Came across three copies of it a couple of months back on Alibris, but could not buy it at the time, as I was working. As soon as I had a chance to do it, they were all already gone.
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

Manjushri wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:57 am Been looking for the book "Mountain Doctrine" by Jeffrey Hopkins, on "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning" by Dolpopa.

Has this work been translated or published under a different company? I suppose it's not part of the works in "The Buddha from Dölpo? In any case, as most will be aware, it's not available at Shambhala (sold out or out of print I guess) and therefore it's very hard to find and very often with a prohibitive price.

Came across three copies of it a couple of months back on Alibris, but could not buy it at the time, as I was working. As soon as I had a chance to do it, they were all already gone.
Boeddha Boeken (Netherlands, FPMT) still has new copies of the original Snow Lion hardcover in stock for €38.50. I bought one last year. Their website is also available in English. They ship books well-protected. Postage would be €13 to Southern Europe.

https://www.buddhabooks.eu/mountain-doctrine
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

Archie2009 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:09 am Boeddha Boeken (Netherlands, FPMT) still has new copies of the original Snow Lion hardcover in stock for €38.50. I bought one last year. Their website is also available in English. They ship books well-protected. Postage would be €13 to Southern Europe.

https://www.buddhabooks.eu/mountain-doctrine
Hey Archie2009, that's very kind of you to let me know that. I have just ordered a copy. Thank you very much for that.
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

Hi again Archie2009, or any other users that might know:

I've also been looking for a couple of publications from the American Institute of Buddhist Studies, that are now a bit more difficult to find and when found having always attached a tall price tag:

-Nagarjuna's Reason Sixty (Yuktisastika) with Candrakirti's Commentary

-Ratnakirti's Proof of Momentariness by Positive Correlation (Ksanabhangasiddhi Anvayatmika)

If anyone knows of a place where one would find copies of these books that would not cost an arm and a leg, preferably in Europe, I would be incredibly grateful.
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

Has someone come across Jeffrey Hopkins' Maps of the Profound? Like the above mentioned titles, it seems to be hard to find by now and when it comes up, it always brings an inflated price tag along with it. Please do let me know if the book is available to buy somewhere, without having to sell one of my kidneys first.

justsit

Post by justsit »

Manjushri wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:21 am Has someone come across Jeffrey Hopkins' Maps of the Profound? Like the above mentioned titles, it seems to be hard to find by now and when it comes up, it always brings an inflated price tag along with it. Please do let me know if the book is available to buy somewhere, without having to sell one of my kidneys first.
This book and the other two you are seeking are available in hardcover from various sources online. If you could specify to which country the books would be shipped and what you consider a "reasonable" price (in US$) I can do some research for you.
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

justsit wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:53 am
Manjushri wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:21 am Has someone come across Jeffrey Hopkins' Maps of the Profound? Like the above mentioned titles, it seems to be hard to find by now and when it comes up, it always brings an inflated price tag along with it. Please do let me know if the book is available to buy somewhere, without having to sell one of my kidneys first.
This book and the other two you are seeking are available in hardcover from various sources online. If you could specify to which country the books would be shipped and what you consider a "reasonable" price (in US$) I can do some research for you.
Hey justsit, thank you for your availability. The books would have to be sent to Portugal. As a freelancer during a pandemic, I find it very hard to spend more than 50€, which sould be around 60$, for a book, especially considering I have no issue with used, second-hand books. Perhaps I could throw some additional 10$ for postage and make it a total of 70$, but more than that would be a severe bump in my flimsy finances. Do let me know if you find any of those three books under a sympathetic price, closer to the aforementioned values.
justsit

Post by justsit »

Manjushri wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:37 am
Hey justsit, thank you for your availability. ...
I think each of the three runs about that price, I'll check online later today when I have more time.
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

justsit wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:12 pm
Manjushri wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:37 am

Hey justsit, thank you for your availability. ...
I think each of the three runs about that price, I'll check online later today when I have more time.
That's very kind of you, thank you very much for that.
justsit

Post by justsit »

OK, here's what I found so far.

Nagarjuna's Reason Sixty (Yuktisastika) with Candrakirti's Commentary Alibris $54.95 plus overseas shipping ($22?), from Midtown Scholar Bookstore used
https://www.alibris.com/Nagarjunas-Reas ... k/28678400

Ratnakirti's Proof of Momentariness by Positive Correlation (Ksanabhangasiddhi Anvayatmika) Ebay $41.10 plus shipping, Midtown Scholar Bookstore used (the "Free Shipping" offered in the ad applies to US only, I'm sure)
https://www.ebay.com/p/71774289?iid=353149033968

Jeffrey Hopkins - Maps of the Profound Namse Bangdzo bookstore $49.95 + shipping
https://www.namsebangdzo.com/Maps-of-th ... /12274.htm

The first two are actually from the same store, so you could contact them directly via email and maybe work out a combined shipping total. Their site says they do ship overseas. Note: this store is only open Thursday - Sunday 10AM-6PM EDT.

The third one doesn't mention overseas shipping, I sent them an email to see if they will do that, have not heard back yet. If they don't, maybe we could work out having it sent to me and I can ship to you.

Hope that helps.
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

justsit wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:57 pm OK, here's what I found so far.
Hey justsit, thank you for that.

I had come across both Ratnakirti's and Nagarjuna's books earlier. Unfortunately, Ratnakirti's ends up costing more than 70€ with postage, whilst Nagarjuna's is just slightly below 70€ in total with postage as well, which puts them a bit above what I intended to afford. What's more, the Portuguese postal sevices now not only impose additional taxes on packages from the UK (due to Brexit), but have decided to charge additional customs fees starting in July, on every extra-communitary (outside of EU) package and a 23% VAT tax.

Hopkins' Maps of the Profound could be an interesting item for sure, depending on the price of postage. Please do let me know, once they get back to you. And I'll think about having it sent to you and afterwards shipped to me, if it comes to that, that's superbly kind of you. Cheers!
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

Manjushri wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:54 amWhat's more, the Portuguese postal sevices now not only impose additional taxes on packages from the UK (due to Brexit), but have decided to charge additional customs fees starting in July, on every extra-communitary (outside of EU) package and a 23% VAT tax.
That's an EU wide measure. Now shipments imported from outside the EU worth less than €22 will also be taxed.

Add to that the extremely high USPS shipping costs for anything that weighs more than a CD, $40/$50 for shipping is not unheard of, and importing (second hand) books from the USA yourself has become prohibitive. Especially since you are taxed over both the item price + the cost of shipping and are often charged a flat administration charge as well (around €14 here).
justsit

Post by justsit »

Manjushri wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:54 am

I had come across both Ratnakirti's and Nagarjuna's books earlier. Unfortunately, Ratnakirti's ends up costing more than 70€ with postage, whilst Nagarjuna's is just slightly below 70€ in total with postage as well, which puts them a bit above what I intended to afford. What's more, the Portuguese postal sevices now not only impose additional taxes on packages from the UK (due to Brexit), but have decided to charge additional customs fees starting in July, on every extra-communitary (outside of EU) package and a 23% VAT tax.
Do those types of taxes and fees apply to items sent directly from one person to another, as opposed to a commercial purchase?
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

justsit wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:39 am

Do those types of taxes and fees apply to items sent directly from one person to another, as opposed to a commercial purchase?
Any shipment for which a value has to be declared on a customs form. Basically, anything but a letter/postcard. Unfortunately, a book send to a friend is indistinguishable from a marketplace purchase, even a shipment send to yourself from a holiday destination is.

These measures are supposed to combat unfair competition from online tax exempt purchases from outside the block.

Of course, several US states also have heavy sales taxes on online purchases. I had a buyer from New York having to pay a substantial sales tax through Discogs on an order from my (EU based) store.
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

justsit wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:39 am

Just called the Portuguese Postal Services, and they told me any extra-communitary package will have to go through customs and will automatically require a payment of 12€ fee for the customs services. However, from what I could understand, any additional fees will indeed depend on whether it's a commercial transaction or a personal one, and the kind of item being transactioned.
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

Archie2009 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:16 am
Manjushri wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:54 amWhat's more, the Portuguese postal sevices now not only impose additional taxes on packages from the UK (due to Brexit), but have decided to charge additional customs fees starting in July, on every extra-communitary (outside of EU) package and a 23% VAT tax.
That's an EU wide measure. Now shipments imported from outside the EU worth less than €22 will also be taxed.

Add to that the extremely high USPS shipping costs for anything that weighs more than a CD, $40/$50 for shipping is not unheard of, and importing (second hand) books from the USA yourself has become prohibitive. Especially since you are taxed over both the item price + the cost of shipping and are often charged a flat administration charge as well (around €14 here).
Indeed, that's what I've noticed recently, for many second-hand books are put out for sale with very tempting prices on these websites such as Alibris, Abebooks and Amazon, but then have horrendous postage costs. Very disheartening.
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

I fear there'll be chaos for a while now that everything has to be checked from 1 July. Online services that offer to collect the required EU VAT at the time of purchase might result in double taxation at the border. At least that is my fear.

I am not happy with these new regulations. It prevents people of modest means from enjoying their hobbies like reading rare paper books when their particular interests require purchase from abroad. It's meddling in people's lives in my opinion. It's not like purchasing a rare book outside the block deprives an EU seller of a purchase when the book is simply unavailable here.
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

Archie2009 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:56 pm I fear there'll be chaos for a while now that everything has to be checked from 1 July. Online services that offer to collect the required EU VAT at the time of purchase might result in double taxation at the border. At least that is my fear.

I am not happy with these new regulations. It prevents people of modest means from enjoying their hobbies like reading rare paper books when their particular interests require purchase from abroad. It's meddling in people's lives in my opinion. It's not like purchasing a rare book outside the block deprives an EU seller of a purchase when the book is simply unavailable here.
Quite right, I'm worried that for the moment I'll have to think twice in regards to buying books abroad.

In fact, I just had another call to postal services, and they confirmed me that unfortunately, one will now expend two VATs if items are ordered on websites imposing EU VAT, since anything will have that very tax applied once arriving at the country. Besides, the postal services themselves will now apply a 2€ fee for any item below 150€ value and a 4€ fee if the value is surpassed.

At the end of the day, at least in Portugal, one will now be in the risk of having to afford, in addition to the price of the book itself, the VAT on the website (if applied), VAT upon arrival at the country, a customs service fee, plus a fee for releasing the package, and a postal service fee. That's absolutely bonkers.

However, from what I could tell on this latest call, costs might be minimised if the package is presented as a "gift" by the sender, as in a personal transaction. Might be worth exploring this option as a test, and see how it goes for the moment?

Return to “Book Reviews”