Books / Publications / Translations - Where to Find or Buy?

Recommend, review and discuss dharma books here.
justsit

Re: Books / Publications / Translations - Where to Find or Buy?

Post by justsit »

Here's the listing for USPS flat rate shipping for a box that would likely fit one book, would be listed on customs form as "used/new book value $50."

Priority Mail International® Small Flat Rate Box
USPS-Produced Box: 8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8"
Maximum weight 4 pounds.
Select a Delivery Option Expected Delivery Day Retail Click-N-Ship®
Normal Delivery Time 6 - 10 business days to many major markets $39.40 $39.40

There are other calculations you can check out for different size/weight boxes https://postcalc.usps.com/. Enter "Portugal" and zip code 19977, then try various sizes.

Would you still have to pay the Portuguese taxes in addition to the shipping??
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

justsit wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:09 pm Would you still have to pay the Portuguese taxes in addition to the shipping??
Unfortunately yes, as confirmed by the postal services clerk I talked with yesterday.

I've followed your indications on USPS site and it does seems like I would not be spending less than $39.40, which is almost the price of the aforementioned books. It seems to me then that, ordering from the European Union, in spite of its inflated value, will end up costing roughly the same as acquiring and shipping it from the States, much to my dismay. I want to thank you anyway for making yourself available for sourcing these items for me.
Looking but not seeing - that's my eye.
Thinking but not minding - that's my mind.
Speaking but not expressing - that's my tongue.
Traveling but not going - that's my path.
justsit

Post by justsit »

Sorry there isn't a better alternative.

I was a full-time eBay trader for a number of years, and had quite a few overseas transactions. Shipping costs were reasonable, nowhere near those we have now. I only became aware of the changes last fall, when I attempted to have a magazine sent to the US from the UK. Price for the item was 10 pounds, shipping was an additional 10 pounds - and the magazine never arrived. COVID restrictions meant outgoing items were warehoused for months, some never to be seen again, and a US Postal Service cutback on services at the same time led to mass postal confusion for quite a while.

The financial pages indicate there won't be relief anytime soon. I hope you can find what you're seeking at a reasonable cost. :broke:
justsit

Post by justsit »

I just heard back from Namse Bangdzo bookstore, and they do ship internationally. I know this isn't much help now, but perhaps we can store the info for possible future reference.
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

justsit wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:54 pm I just heard back from Namse Bangdzo bookstore, and they do ship internationally. I know this isn't much help now, but perhaps we can store the info for possible future reference.
Thanks for the info. In fact, since you posted the links here, at least one of the books was bought, so I just went ahead and acquired the cheapest Yuktisastika of Nagarjuna and the Ksanabanghasiddhi of Ratnakirti that I could find on the web, which ended up costing around 130€ in total.

I'll keep the Maps of the Profound for a later time, but your help and following developments allowed me to recall that sometimes we must relinquish a considerable part of our monetary savings in order to acquire something invaluable for the rest of our lives, in this profit-driven world. Cheers, my friend.
Looking but not seeing - that's my eye.
Thinking but not minding - that's my mind.
Speaking but not expressing - that's my tongue.
Traveling but not going - that's my path.

Return to “Book Reviews”