Book Recommendation: The True Source of Healing

Recommend, review and discuss dharma books here.
cjdevries

Book Recommendation: The True Source of Healing

Post by cjdevries »

I want to recommend The True Source of Healing: How the Ancient Tibetan Practice of Soul Retrieval Can Transform and Enrich Your Life, by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche. This insightful book provides many tools for spiritual and emotional healing. Here are a few excerpts, to get an idea about the substance of the book:

"You begin the process of soul retrieval by acknowledging that something is missing in your life, becoming familiar with the elements and their interactions, and then using that knowledge to pinpoint which element you need most. Do you recognize a lack of vitality or well being in your life? The second step in soul retrieval is to be aware of that lack, to know that that lack is not your natural condition, and to make a commitment to change your experience of yourself and your life. Which element is deficient in your life and most needed? reflect deeply on this lack....WIthout getting caught up in the stories surrounding this lack, become more familiar with the associated feelings, hosting them without judging or criticizing yourself or your experience. Remember that how you feel now may change as you engage the positive elemental quality you are missing. The process of soul retrieval will reconnect you with the inner source of light and well being that is your true nature. In making a clear commitment to connect with this inner source, find the voice that is true for you. Perhaps the words will be something like: 'I recognize that I am suffering from a lack of (NAME ELEMENT) in my life. I commit to connecting more deeply with the source within and engaging with it to retrieve that element.' As you work with the practices in this book, focus on the element that you have identified as lacking. Give yourself enough time to experience success in the practice. Signs of success might be discovering that you feel more connected at work, that a relationship has transformed, that you have a more positive self image, or that you have reconnected with nature. You may discover that the success you achieve extends beyond the specific area you have been focusing on. Feeling more connected at work, for example, might also help you feel more connected with your family."

"You can regularly rest in the inner refuge, retrieve the element you need, nourish yourself with it, share it with others, and still not notice immediate changes in yourself or the people around you. You might not immediately tame all your ghosts. But each time you host your own pain or another's pain in openness, awareness, and warmth, the pain transforms and the strength of the pain identity is weakened. Enlightenment is a long journey. Never give up."

"Some people spend the better part of their lives trying to find a soul mate, achieve recognition or status, or accumulate wealth. They do so in order to not feel lonely and to feel more worthy and complete. But the satisfaction you achieve from external sources is fleeting by nature. Even if you were to restore the very relationship you have been missing so deeply and for so long, your loneliness would not necessarily be resolved. Finding yourself through the inner refuge is the most powerful medicine for overcoming loneliness and achieving a lasting sense of fullness and completeness."
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Ask: what's needed of you" -Akong Rinpoche

"Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Gandhi
tingdzin

Re: Book Recommendation: The True Source of Healing

Post by tingdzin »

I second this recommendation. If you really can work with the book, it's great.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Book Recommendation: The True Source of Healing

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

A related recommendation is for Awakening The Luminous Mind, I think if one is interested in The True Source of Healing, it's a natural place to start to take the same concepts and practice to a deeper place.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama

Return to “Book Reviews”