Mingyur Rinpoche - In love with the world

Recommend, review and discuss dharma books here.
krish5

Mingyur Rinpoche - In love with the world

Post by krish5 »

I just finished reading this incredible book that Mingyur Rinpoche wrote about the first few weeks of his wandering retreat that happened a few years back. He wound up doing this retreat for 4 1/2 years i believe.

I would love to read comments and discuss some of the highlights, important points with anyone who has read it. I am deeply fascinated by his commentary and insights about it.

I am not his student, never saw him, just found him, and watched a few youtubes. But what he is sharing resonates to me and contains so much wisdom and insight.

I am also deeply interested in hearing more about the practical side, how he survived without money or clothing except what he was wearing for all those years. I find that absolutely amazing too, going from comfort in the monastery and never being alone to surviving totally alone, self reliant without any of those skills for over 4 years. Please share if you know any of those details. Thanks.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Mingyur Rinpoche - In love with the world

Post by Ayu »

Welcome to Dharmawheel. :meditate:

You're talking of this book? https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/414 ... -the-world
I have not read it yet.
DewachenVagabond

Post by DewachenVagabond »

I haven't read the whole book, but my teacher has been reading from and teaching from it for a little while now. It really is a great book. I don't know any more about his experiences with his retreat. It does sound fascinating.
:bow: :buddha1: :bow: :anjali: :meditate:
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

I really enjoyed the book. My one critical point, probably arising out of my own misunderstanding, is that he seemed to mostly aim at equanimity towards appearances in that retreat. I thought that was a little disappointing but I guess one shouldn't share one's most profound realizations in a public book.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

I am not his student, never saw him, just found him, and watched a few youtubes. But what he is sharing resonates to me and contains so much wisdom and insight.
I’m not a student of his either. However I hear he has a good online educational website. A friend that has done (2) 3 year retreats participates and is finding it very worthwhile.
Here’s the link.

https://learning.tergar/.org

I think it does cost something.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
krish5

Post by krish5 »

Thank you so far for your replies and thank you for the welcome. Everyone seems nice, caring, respectful, and on the spiritual path, so i appreciate that.

Here is a link to a film trailer about his experiences:

https://www.ajoyfulmind.com/wandering

I did not understand the comment" he seemed to mostly aim at equanimity towards appearances in that retreat." Are you saying that he was moving away from his disturbing emotions he felt? Not sure i follow, i was wondering if you could share more about your comment. I am not critiquing you or disagreeing with your comment, all are welcome, i am just trying to follow and understand what you meant, and i appreciate all sharing.

Someone shared: "I haven't read the whole book, but my teacher has been reading from and teaching from it for a little while now." Can you say more about what your teacher is sharing, what parts from the book did he find helpful and is sharing?

I am glad some have read the book and some have heard bits from it and some are familiar with him as a teacher. He really seems sincere and the real deal. I think it was so courageous of him to do this wandering retreat and to live alone for over 4 years. I wouldnt make it past a few days having to survive on my own.

To me, i cant stop thinking about this book and the movie trailer and how even a experienced Rinpoche, with over 7 years of retreat experience, feels the need to go further and deeper and challenge himself like this, to do another 4 1/2 years of retreat experience, wandering alone. The good news and best part of this is that i got out of it, so far, is that i dont have to experience what he experienced and even in daily life we are each presented with many difficulties and challenges, we dont have to seek them out like he did. He said he was intentionally looking for trouble :-)
n8pee

Post by n8pee »

The thing I loved most of the book was his depiction of achieving the clear light mind at the moment of death and the subsequent descriptions of his realization after the fact - i.e., the illusory nature of the world. It really helped me understand 'the concept' of emptiness just a bit more.
Terma

Post by Terma »

krish5 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:40 am Thank you so far for your replies and thank you for the welcome. Everyone seems nice, caring, respectful, and on the spiritual path, so i appreciate that.

Here is a link to a film trailer about his experiences:

https://www.ajoyfulmind.com/wandering

I did not understand the comment" he seemed to mostly aim at equanimity towards appearances in that retreat." Are you saying that he was moving away from his disturbing emotions he felt? Not sure i follow, i was wondering if you could share more about your comment. I am not critiquing you or disagreeing with your comment, all are welcome, i am just trying to follow and understand what you meant, and i appreciate all sharing.

Someone shared: "I haven't read the whole book, but my teacher has been reading from and teaching from it for a little while now." Can you say more about what your teacher is sharing, what parts from the book did he find helpful and is sharing?

I am glad some have read the book and some have heard bits from it and some are familiar with him as a teacher. He really seems sincere and the real deal. I think it was so courageous of him to do this wandering retreat and to live alone for over 4 years. I wouldnt make it past a few days having to survive on my own.

To me, i cant stop thinking about this book and the movie trailer and how even a experienced Rinpoche, with over 7 years of retreat experience, feels the need to go further and deeper and challenge himself like this, to do another 4 1/2 years of retreat experience, wandering alone. The good news and best part of this is that i got out of it, so far, is that i dont have to experience what he experienced and even in daily life we are each presented with many difficulties and challenges, we dont have to seek them out like he did. He said he was intentionally looking for trouble :-)
I believe that I read in the book that Mingyur Rinpoche answers why he decided to do this retreat. One of his biggest reasons was bodhicitta. With more experience and more realization he felt he would be better equipped to help students to recognize their own mind's nature.

Amazing.
PSM

Post by PSM »

krish5 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:31 pm I am also deeply interested in hearing more about the practical side, how he survived without money or clothing except what he was wearing for all those years. I find that absolutely amazing too, going from comfort in the monastery and never being alone to surviving totally alone, self reliant without any of those skills for over 4 years. Please share if you know any of those details. Thanks.
Reminds me of this story, told by his brother Tsoknyi Rinpoche: https://tsoknyirinpoche.org/teachings/a ... den-amtin/
DewachenVagabond

Post by DewachenVagabond »

krish5 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:40 am
She always covers the part about how he decided to leave his monastery and the story of him leaving to provide context for anyone who may be new or didn't hear the beginning of the story. After that she seems to focus mainly on his descriptions of his retreat, specifically his equanimity towards appearances, as someone else said. One of the major reasons he left the monastery was because the environment was serene and non-challenging. So he left in order to train his mind in a situation where things might not be as ideal.

Today she talked about his experience almost dying, describing the elements dissolving and then his description of the clear light mind. I expected the book to be a little fluffy, but it wasn't any of the kind. It seems to have some really serious teachings.
:bow: :buddha1: :bow: :anjali: :meditate:
krish5

Post by krish5 »

Yes, great story by Tsonknyi Rinpoche.

I like Sonam how your teacher is using the book and sharing parts from it.

I just finished the book and had to return it to the library system (ebook). Some of it was very repetitive and i would have liked to read more about the whole retreat and not just the first few weeks, but overall, one of the most inspiring, helpful deep books i ever read.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Recently he has been teaching online from Nepal and there were a bunch of dogs barking in the background. I thought it was amusing how people were complaining about the dogs, saying they couldn’t concentrate or meditate with Rinpoche due to their barking. It was a good lesson that even if one is in Nepal one might find the environment less peaceful than their own, among other things.
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

I was meditating at a center a while back, just after we sat the neighbors started up a pair of chainsaws to clear some undergrowth. Which was more distracting, the chainsaws or the birds when they stopped to refuel?
krish5

Post by krish5 »

Yes, exactly, these last two posts about distractions and noise. In the book, he talks about his older brother went to a urban city to live and he couldnt meditate, sleep, felt stress the whole time. His Father said to his brother something like "What are you going to do in the bardo of becoming?" Referring to the fact that the outside world can influence you that much, how much more so when you are in the bardos.

This is one of my most troublesome areas myself. I just cannot seem to be at peace or relaxed or stress free unless i am in a good environment or atmosphere. So many things bother me so easily, from bugs to noise to dirty to barking dogs.

I know and agree that the outside world cannot touch or affect us, i get it intellectually, but still cannot overcome the outside world. And in the book, Mingyur had similar difficulties, like being on a Indian train and hanging out at a Indian train station, with all the dirt and noise.

I live in Phoenix, Arizona and have gone several times to Amitabha Stupa in Sedona, Arizona to just hang out. I find the Stupa so inspiring and i walk around it and pray and also sit and pray. There are beautiful Red Rocks in the background. But as beautiful as this place is physically and spiritually uplifting and peaceful, i usually find myself quite annoyed there and restless and disturbed and usually have to leave sooner than i would like to. It is due to the heat, it can get hot here in Arizona and then the bugs, insects, oh boy. I sit there and constantly am swatting away the little flying gnats and also the mosquitos constantly trying to bite me. I still have a long way to go to overcome and be at peace, even in difficult surroundings.
yagmort

Post by yagmort »

i postponed my ability to accept mosqitoes, pigeons and radical islamists until i am actually approaching bodhisattva level..
stay open, spread love
tomdzogchen27

Post by tomdzogchen27 »

krish5 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:31 pm I just finished reading this incredible book that Mingyur Rinpoche wrote about the first few weeks of his wandering retreat that happened a few years back. He wound up doing this retreat for 4 1/2 years i believe.

I would love to read comments and discuss some of the highlights, important points with anyone who has read it. I am deeply fascinated by his commentary and insights about it.

I am also deeply interested in hearing more about the practical side, how he survived without money or clothing except what he was wearing for all those years. I find that absolutely amazing too, going from comfort in the monastery and never being alone to surviving totally alone, self reliant without any of those skills for over 4 years. Please share if you know any of those details. Thanks.
I have been studying through Mingyur Rinpoche's program since November (met him in Barcelona last September) and it has been wonderful so far. It is a program that is affordable, incredibly well organized with powerful material and very nice instructors. I definitely recommend Tergar 100%. Also, the book is awesome! There are 3 online courses that really go in depth with the material presented and with other books to explore the bardos.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

I've been a student of Rinpoche's for decades now, he is one of my most important teachers, and I recommend him without reservation.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
krish5

Post by krish5 »

Yes, Mingyur Rinpoche is awesome. Glad there are so many students of his on here.

I had a question, i cant figure it out, it says there is a chat center on here and i click on it, but i dont see anyone chatting, it just shows posts. Is there a chat room on this site? If yes, how do you access it to chat?
tomdzogchen27

Post by tomdzogchen27 »

conebeckham wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:23 pm I've been a student of Rinpoche's for decades now, he is one of my most important teachers, and I recommend him without reservation.
That's awesome! I am glad you have received so much benefit from him.

Return to “Book Reviews”