Upcoming titles

Recommend, review and discuss dharma books here.
Nicholas Weeks

Upcoming titles

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

In December this will be out; Gampopa, Sakya Pandita & Potowa:

http://books.simonandschuster.com/Stage ... 0861714490

Also noted that Geshe Sopa's volume four commentary on Je Rinpoche's big Lamrim will be out in January 2016, from Wisdom.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Upcoming titles

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

The blurb for this book says:
The “stages of the teachings” or tenrim genre of Tibetan spiritual writing expounds the Mahayana teachings as a graded series of topics, from the practices required at the start of the bodhisattva’s career to the final perfect awakening of buddhahood.
This 'tenrim' sounds like 'lamrim' in meaning; but what is really different between the two, if anything is?
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Stone Sutras in China before 600 ce:

https://www.academia.edu/12556130/Buddh ... s_in_China
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Another great set of teachings from Dudjom Lingpa, coming in July 2015:

http://www.wisdompubs.org/book/special- ... perfection
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Nicholas Weeks wrote:Another great set of teachings from Dudjom Lingpa, coming in July 2015:

Magnificent work, just beginning to study it. :bow: :bow: :bow:
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Nicholas Weeks wrote:
Nicholas Weeks wrote:Another great set of teachings from Dudjom Lingpa, coming in July 2015:

Frankly, before you set out to read these Dzogchen texts, it is better you receive Dzogchen transmission from someone qualified. Also, you really do need the lung for these texts, it is best to have that before proceeding.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Malcolm wrote:
Nicholas Weeks wrote:

Frankly, before you set out to read these Dzogchen texts, it is better you receive Dzogchen transmission from someone qualified. Also, you really do need the lung for these texts, it is best to have that before proceeding.
Wallace, the translator addresses this on pp xxix-xxx, saying (as does his lama) that the read 'should' etc, but the 'texts themselves do not require' even the preliminaries. If the danger were that severe, neither Wallace, nor his lama, nor Wisdom pubs. would put the books out in this unrestricted fashion. Beside I do have some of the attitudes his lama wanted a reader to have.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Nicholas Weeks wrote:
Wallace, the translator addresses this on pp xxix-xxx, saying (as does his lama) that the read 'should' etc, but the 'texts themselves do not require' even the preliminaries. If the danger were that severe, neither Wallace, nor his lama, nor Wisdom pubs. would put the books out in this unrestricted fashion. Beside I do have some of the attitudes his lama wanted a reader to have.
Frankly, Dzogchen is not something one can understand from a book. I am not saying this to put you down, I am saying this so you don't leave your knowledge in a state of intellectual sterility, since I want everyone to be able to wake up through direct knowledge of Dzogchen and Vajrayāna teachings. Anyway, who said anything about peliminaries? But in order to understand Dzogchen you must receive direct introduction.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Malcolm wrote:
Nicholas Weeks wrote:
Frankly, Dzogchen is not something one can understand from a book. I am not saying this to put you down, I am saying this so you don't leave your knowledge in a state of intellectual sterility, since I want everyone to be able to wake up through direct knowledge of Dzogchen and Vajrayāna teachings. Anyway, who said anything about peliminaries? But in order to understand Dzogchen you must receive direct introduction.
Granted and understood, but many Dzogchen lamas have written texts, I would expect they should be read. Direct introduction coming later rather than before the reading is not better, but I am not free to leave my sick wife. Kapish?
Last edited by Nicholas Weeks on Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Nicholas Weeks wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Nicholas Weeks wrote:
Granted and understood, but many Dzogchen lamas have written texts, I would expect they should be read. Direct introduction coming later rather than before the reading is better, but I am not free to leave my sick wife. Kapish?

You can easily receive direct introduction from Chogyal Namkhai Norbu via webcast. It is sufficient.

All those lamas who wrote books could not have imagined that they would be flying around the world in pdfs or even printed electronically. Anyway, I am glad you have devotion for the books, I am merely suggesting that you make an effort to receive transmission.

I am sorry to hear about your wife.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

These are in the pipeline from Wisdom Publications:

Patience by Lama Zopa Rinpoche - Fall 2020
Science and Philosophy in the Indian Buddhist Classics, Volume II: The Mind - Fall 2020
Reading the Buddha's Discourses in Pali by Bhikkhu Bodhi - Fall 2020
The Cakrasamvara Root Tantra (from Dechen Ling) - Fall 2020
Sounds of Innate Freedom: Indian Texts of Mahamudra, Volume 5 by Karl Brunnhölzl - Fall 2020
The Diamond Cutter Sutra by Khenpo Sodargye - Fall 2020
The Buddhist Analysis of Matter by Y. Karunadasa - Fall 2020
Esoteric Community (Guhyasamaja) Tantra (with AIBS) - Spring 2021
Superiority Conceit in Buddhist Traditions by Bhikkhu Analayo - Spring 2021
Illuminating the Intent (in our Library of Tibetan Classics Series), Translated by Thupten Jinpa - Spring 2021
Four Tibetan Lineages (in our Library of Tibetan Classics Series), Translated by Sarah Harding - Spring 2021
Mahamudra: A Practical Guide by Zurmang Gharwang Rinpoche - Spring 2021
Middle Length Lamrim of Je Tsongkhapa - June 2021

Return to “Book Reviews”