the most helpful and lucid dharma text/book you've read?

Recommend, review and discuss dharma books here.
lorem

Re: the most helpful and lucid dharma text/book you've read?

Post by lorem »

Nick r wrote:Life in Relation to Death

By Chagdud Tulku

Small, but mighty
I've been wanting to volunteer at a hospice. This book looks like it could be helpful.

Is there ebook available?
I should be meditating.
gad rgyangs

Post by gad rgyangs »

I'd probably say "The Basic Space of Phenomena" (chos dbyings mdzod) and its commentary, "A Treasure Trove of Scriptural Transmission".

After that, there are texts in Namkhai Norbu's Longsal series that are on that level.

Also not to sneeze at are the various versions of the Prajnaparamita Sutras (Conze & others), and the Samdhinirmocana Sutra (translated as "Wisdom of Buddha" by Powers)

and Mulamadhyamakakarika ("Nagarjuna's Middle Way" Siderits and Katsura)
Thoroughly tame your own mind.
This is (possibly) the teaching of Buddha.

"I must finally conclude that this proposition, I am, I exist, is necessarily true whenever it is put forward by me or conceived in my mind."
- Descartes, 2nd Meditation 25
Nick r

Post by Nick r »

lorem wrote:

By Chagdud Tulku

Small, but mighty
I've been wanting to volunteer at a hospice. This book looks like it could be helpful.

Not sure if there is an Ebook. It's a small book (physically speaking) but is very direct. You can buy it here: http://www.tibetantreasures.com/Padma_P ... ath_1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if you're thinking about hospice work, this could be a good one. Another book that inspired me to look into hospice work was How Can I Help? by Ram Das. But, my work schedule changed and I couldnt commit to volunteer...
lorem

Post by lorem »

Nick r wrote:
lorem wrote:

By Chagdud Tulku

Small, but mighty

Not sure if there is an Ebook. It's a small book (physically speaking) but is very direct. You can buy it here: http://www.tibetantreasures.com/Padma_P ... ath_1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if you're thinking about hospice work, this could be a good one. Another book that inspired me to look into hospice work was How Can I Help? by Ram Das. But, my work schedule changed and I couldnt commit to volunteer...
Thanks. I will check it out. Yeah, work, kids, practice--need to integrate practice into life. No distraction. Sounds simple...
I should be meditating.
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

It's hard to say, because I find often that the level of clarity depends more on me than on the book/teaching/teacher.

But I recently found this book to be helpful to some of the questions I am currently dealing with:

The Power and the Pain: Transforming Spiritual Hardship into Joy by Andrew Holecek.
"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

I dunno I could pick out tons.

One's that stick out for me at the moment:

Progressive Stages of Meditation on Emptiness by Khenpo Tsultrim Gyamtso
Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism (the book that got me interested in Dharma, I feel a need to reread it regularly) by Trungpa Rinpoche
Red Pine's Heart Sutra translation and commentary
The Practice of Lojong by Traleg Kyabgon Rinpoche
HHST's teaching on Parting From the Four Attachments
Chenrezig Lord of Love - Bokar Rinpoche
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

In the beginning of Vajrayana practice - "The Opening of the Lotus, Developing Clarity and Kindness", Lama Sherab Gyaltsen Amipa.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
BrianG

Post by BrianG »

Hardcore Zen, by Brad Warner.

It was the only Dharma book I could relate to when I was first starting.
Telepaths - I like to kill them
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Two that were influential because of their clarity when I was young and before I had actual teachers: Introduction to Tantra by Lama Yeshe and Zen Mind Beginner's Mind by Suzuki Roshi.

Once I had connected to lineage and teachers some years later I found Thinley Norbu's book Magic Dance, and began a long-term relationship with it. It is crystal clear, but like a crystal different colors may appear depending on the quality of light that shines through it and the direction of light, etc. I have found that as my practice developed I was able to understand aspects of the book I didn't even know were there previously, and things still continue to unfold 10 years later. Similarly Thinley Norbu's book White Sail is another one of great clarity and depth.

I have not finished it but I have read more than I haven't read, and I believe Dzongsar Khyentse's book Not For Happiness also falls into this category, especially for anyone who has committed to doing a ngondro, or is considering it.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Healing Anger, HHDL. Basically this is the Dalai Lama taking a look at Shantideva, emptiness and real life practice. Short, clear and world-changing.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

I am currently reading a very helpful and lucid book, Vajra Heart Revisited: Teachings on the Path of Trekcho by Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche (2020, Rangjung Yeshe Publications), translations Erik Pema Kunsang. This is a revised and expanded edition of a book formerly published with restrictions in the 1980s & 1990s. Marcia Binder Schmidt writes in the introduction that "Since much of its content has since been openly shared in other publications, it seemed timely to review and expand upon Vajra Heart's many formidable topics. This book is an unrestricted Yeshe Lama for the path of Threkchö, a roadmap for practice that covers all the key points of this path."

KeithA

Post by KeithA »

I guess I answered this thread 8 years ago! Still the same answer. _/|\_
When walking, standing, sitting, lying down, speaking,
being silent, moving, being still.
At all times, in all places, without interruption - what is this?
One mind is infinite kalpas.

New Haven Zen Center
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Differentiation of the Three Codes by Sakya Pandita, as well as his Clarifying the Sages Intent.
Tills ljuset tar oss

Post by Tills ljuset tar oss »

The Amitabha sutras. Genshin's Ōjōyōshū is also a masterpiece. Other than that, i found Shantideva and Shabkar to be helpful in my resolution to practice and maybe it has enriched my prayer life in some way. It is too early to tell.

All teachings of Buddha is immensely precious, but i'm not a book guy. Really.
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:24 am Differentiation of the Three Codes by Sakya Pandita, as well as his Clarifying the Sages Intent.
Wish I could find Differentiation of the Three Codes and The Dharma's Gatekeepers here in Europe and being able to pay without having to sell a kidney. One of these is being published again through Wisdom's Tibetan Classics series, if I remember correctly you saying?
Looking but not seeing - that's my eye.
Thinking but not minding - that's my mind.
Speaking but not expressing - that's my tongue.
Traveling but not going - that's my path.

Return to “Book Reviews”